Need Shotgun Advice

Ann

Inactive
Okay, here’s my situation: the nearest big city to me has finally starting building bedroom communities within 50 miles of my 75-odd acres. That has led to a huge increase in the number of coyotes and other wildlife. Generally, I’ve had few problems with coyotes — they tend to be wary of people. However, a few weeks ago 2 of my dogs were attacked by a coyote. And these two dogs are big, one weighs over 100lbs and the other 80lbs. I wasn’t far off so did manage to fire at the coyote. (Neither dog was badly hurt, a bunch of stitches, that’s all.) But the only gun I had with me was my Henry lever rifle in 22lr. Not the best choice, I know.

I’m a 62 year old woman who has a total wrist partial forearm replacement in my dominant hand. I do have an old 20 gauge Mossberg with a wooden stock that weighs a ton and a shoulder pad that is as hard as hockey puck. Should I get a new shotgun and if so, any advice about brands, mode, etc? Or should I simply get a new stock? I’d need an adjustable stock — I’m assuming a plastic stock and I’d appreciate all the padding I can get. Any advice would be great. Thanks

I'm a fan of buying other guns but I think the solution is a new recoil pad. Limbsaver or Pachmayr make great pads but I would also suggest calling mossberg. They might even send you one for free.

On the other hand if you do want a new gun the solution there might be a semi gas gun as the recoil should be reduced.

Love the limbsaver myself.

Question is, are you too old to learn a new trick - shooting with your other hand?

Love the limbsaver myself.

Question is, are you too old to learn a new trick - shooting with your other hand?
I can and do sometimes shoot my handguns with non-dominant hand. The problem with any long gun is that I’m left eyed dominant and it’s my left hand that’s screwed.

The “old Moss” will do a fine job and the ton of weight helps with the recoil. Load er up with buck shot and grin the next time a coyote comes around. Would suggest you fire a couple of rounds at paper targets so you know where your gun is printing. Keep your distance under 30/35 yards for the target practice and the coyotes.
Hope the dogs are OK

BY the way if you close the dominant eye you can use the non injured shoulder/arm.

Hard to use a shotgun if the Yotes are still on your dog...

I'd personally go for a lever gun in .357, but that's just me...

If all I had was a .22 or a .20 gauge, I'd go with the .22...

Myself, I'd probably skip the shotgun and use a pistol. Nothing bigger than a 38 is required and I have one of them and a 32 long. 38 probably be easier to get ammo for. I think you said your left eye dominate but right handed so guessing you shoot right handed? Teach yourself to shoot left handed. Be nice to take out the coyote's but simply firing a shot is gonna get their attention. That free's the dog's. Then you can shoot at the coyote when the dogs are clear.

FIT is key - not just Length of Pull for recoil but all of the other stock dimensions as well.

With your hand/arm issue, shooting even a 20, especially with slugs IS going to transmit substantial recoil. Best advice would be to ask your ortho doc what your wrist/arm can withstand.

A 38/357 rifle shooting mild 38s will kill a coyote, as will an AR, both of which will have less recoil than a shotgun. If you insist on a shotgun, a .410 with buckshot or slug would offer the least recoil

As I understand the problem it isn't so much to kill the coyote, even if that would be ideal, but to drive them off. I like the idea of first talking with your orthopedist and then, subject to what he/sh says, going with a 20 gauge semi-automatic. This may be crazy, but have you experimented with switching to your weak side?

Wally world

Walmart sells the slip on style limbsaver pads my local one has them for 20 bucks.
They do come in 2 or 3 sizes. I tend to lean toward.say a medium vs. a large. They are plenty stretchy and a tight fit is needed. Too big is a pita.

I don't think your Henry in .22LR is a bad choice. If you need more range or power than the .22lr provides, Henry does make a .22 magnum rifle. A shotgun has a lot of close range power but the price is recoil.

I’d trust my Model 10 over my 870 or 10/22 in defense of my dog from a coyote at close range. And I’d worry about rabies if a coyote attacked two dogs of that size.

Back