Need Recommendation for Laser Bore Sight

Hammie;

I've got the green color one, and it shows up on a 50yd target well in early morning daylight (9-10:30a) for my old eyes. It gets me on paper so I don't have put up a billboard sized piece of wrapping paper on the target board to zero a gun. LOL

I have been giving some thought to this since replacing a scope on a .22 LR rifle from the 1950s.We have a laser bought from a pet store to exercise a pet cat. It is about the size of the bolt. If I could get the laser secured in the action in place of the bolt and get the laser to shine down the bore, I think one could fix the rifle in place and align the cross hairs to the laser dot at some reasonable distance. I suspect the laser may reflect off the bore if the beam is not centered making the dot appear fuzzy on target. I have not tried to execute this procedure.

Bob
WB8NQW
NRA Life Member since 1967
Benefactor Member

Bob,

Tried your laser pointer idea on my 22 rimfire match rifle and gave up. Used a dental mirror in the action and a collimator in the muzzle; both easier than the pointer

I sprung for the green SiteLyte laser bore sighter.

I too had 8 rifles to sight in and I can see the green light at 100 yds on most days. It has many adapters that size from .22 caliber up to 12 ga. for slug guns.

The good thing about it is it comes with software to print a sighting target at almost any range and it hasn't failed me yet. I sighted by Browning Micro Abolt first and was 2" left at 100 yds.

It maybe be expensive but it is a time saver to me.

https://www.natchezss.com/sitelite-ultra-mag-green-laser-boresighter.html

I guess I am just missing the point. Put up a target at 25 yds. Shoot 1 shot. Make the scope adjustment. Next shot is going to be very close to 200 yd zero. Shoot at 200 snd make that adjustment. Go back next day and confirm cold barrel zero. 3 shot 200 yd zero with no gadgets.

I guess I am just missing the point.
The point is adjusting the line of sight through then out of the scope to align on target close to where the barrel axis aligns before the first shot's fired.

Scope mount ring's axis is often several MOA off from bore axis. Sometimes the scope's LOS axis is not aligned on its outer tube's axis.

"Boxing" your scope with a collimator is much more precise than shooting bullets. Plus, the slop in angular change boxing a 1 or 2 click square is easily revealed. As is the reticle slop revealed zooming variables across the power range.

Last edited:
The point is adjusting the line of sight through then out of the scope to align on target close to where the barrel axis aligns before the first shot's fired.

Scope mount ring's axis is often several MOA off from bore axis. Sometimes the scope's LOS axis is not aligned on its outer tube's axis.

"Boxing" your scope with a collimator is much more precise than shooting bullets. Plus, the slop in angular change boxing a 1 or 2 click square is easily revealed. As is the reticle slop revealed zooming variables across the power range.
I have a collimator. I use it when mounting adjustable rings. When not using adjustable rings, its pretty pointless. I seldom ever use adjustable rings these days.
I have not boxed a scope in a coons age, but if I did I sure wouldnt use a laser bore sighter which is what the o.p. is about. The quality is now at a point that boxing is pretty much a waste of time. If I can get the elevation to get to 1100 yds, and the windage to deal with 15 mph, I am happy.

Last edited:
Back