Need Python advice

Congrats on the Python, Doc.

I purchased mine in 1975. Used it quite a bit, but never carried it. It is willed to my grandson. He has shot and likes it.

Nowadays, it comes out about once each year to dust it off and dirty the barrel.

My Dad had one that he bought when I bought mine, but he sold it a few years ago.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have over the years.

PS: I also have a 1955 Chevrolet. I bought it in Jan. 1973.

Was shooting a 4" 38 Special Diamondback yesterday. Trigger would not return to its position of rest. It was late in the day and I waited until today to look at it. Apparently the hand was not retracting and if the hand doesn't retract, the trigger doesn't pop back forward. Sideplate screws were loose, allowing things to walk. Once everything was pushed back into place and the screws tightened, it worked fine.

Had it for years but didn't shoot it until this week.

Sheesh, Pythons are going for that kind of money these days?, that's darn near Korth 357 turf, and IIRC Korths are hand fitted/hand made or at least they used to be.

Since you have owned one previously and want the same thing again, go buy it. You don't need our advice since you know all of what has been posted. Every auction I have been to recently (live auction) has had at least two Python's on hand for auction. Just about every major auction I look at on Proxibid has one or two on the block.

What else is there you need to know? Probably nothing - Now just go do it and share with us pictures of your new Python. Enjoy~ On various forums, I see too much talk and no show. Like anything nice, buy the best you can find since the difference in price between the best and just fine is usually not that much. I don't go into anything I want thinking I might loose it. The chances or so remote. You will have it insured anyway.

There is no shortage of them for sale. It should be an easy task to complete if you have the money.

I listened to everyone's advice & changed the parameters of what I wanted.
I bought a 1978 4" blued Python. the finish was very good and the bore lookes great as did the cylinders. I found 2 very tiny pits in the finished which I missed
the first 3 times I checked it out. The trigger action IMHO is the best that I come across in years. Going to see my gunsmith who is very knowledgeable with Colts
& let him check out the works. The cost came in under my $3K limit & I have a 3 day inspection option. That also gave me piece of mind.
I'm trying to figure out how to post pics. Still can't figure this out after being on The Firing Line.
Thanks everyone

Every time I see these posts of “weak” pythons I just lol. I have my dads that he carried as a deputy sheriff for a decade. That gun has had way over 30,000 rounds through it half magnums. The finish is worn on the muzzle and front edge of cylinder. The right side original grip is noticeably worn. But that action is as tight as my nib python.

I have a python that is my “shooter” it’s up to 45,000 rounds, mostly 38 special. If someone wants to shoot a python they use this. I about killed a man from local police, thought he was a pistolero, he “fanned” this python. After snatching it from his stupid a hands I Che led it. No damage. I maintain that most “weak” actions are due to home gunsmiths doing a so called trigger job. These are unique and only a handful of people really are good with them.
The s&w is superior in one thing. Mass production. The smith design lends itself to interchangeable parts. The colt python was fitted parts. In the modern financial times the smith would always win. It was and is profitable. Good grief just to polish that royal blue you had to have years of experience before allowed at a python.

I carry s&w have several of them, I like both. Neither deserve to be considered second rate.

Back