Need Python advice

I'm looking for a Colt Python 4" blued pre owned of course. I gifted my Safe Queen to my God Nephew & want to replace it. Price range looks like $3K to 4K.

When I get it I intend to carry it either loaded with 38 spec+ or 357 in magnum 110 grain Hornady ammo and not go to my range & shoot 150 rounds each time.

Any thoughts or suggestions on quality, low usage, & cost within my above stated range?

As usual, all responses are welcome.

Geez, Doc, you're richer than I suspected!...All kidding aside, Pythons have gone clear out of sight for a shooting handgun in my opinion. I've got a Diamondback .22 with a 4" tube and hesitate to let kids shoot it for fear of dropping the damned thing. But you sound enthusiastic about the project so have at it. The last one I saw here locally in KY had a $4,000 price tag and was not in "As New" condition.

Best Regards, and be sure to post pics if you take the plunge. For carry, as always, I'd recommend 125's based on their sterling reputation with the law enforcement community over the decades. Rod

I'd check lock-up, end-shake. Appearance. I bought a used beater Python for $399 back in the early 90s. Functionally fine, but it needs refinishing.

I wouldn't shoot much at all of any 110 grain Magnum loads.
Loads under about 135 grains are hard on revolver forcing cones and cause erosion or even cracking.
The police favorite performer was the 125 grain loads, which caused the S&W "K" frame forcing cone cracking problem.
The Python forcing cone is much thicker then the "K" frame but can still erode.

For a .38 Special, I'd go with Buffalo Bore's HOT +P 158 grain, semi-wadcutter, lead hollow point.
This is what the original +P was. Since then the ammo companies have been downloading the +P ammo until it's not much hotter then the older standard .38.
Buffalo Bore uses a special softer lead bullet with a gas check so they can drive the bullet at near Magnum velocities without excessive leading.

The cops called the early hotter +P the ".38 SPLAT" for the sound it supposedly made when it hit.
This +P load was what put an end to the old .38 Special round nose lead failures to stop.

As for a Python, check out the timing as I described in the gunsmithing section on Colt Fever.

http://www.coltfever.com/GUNSMITHING.html

You need to treat a Python nicely and not abuse it.
Abuse is slamming the cylinder shut with a Bogart flick of the wrist.
Don't cock it in single action by yanking the hammer back hard.
Don't shoot double action by jerking the trigger really hard.

The old Colt action is properly shot in DA by learning how to "roll" the trigger.
You can still shoot very fast without tearing the gun up.

For the extra care you get superb accuracy and the best single action trigger there was.
If you shoot it enough for the hand to wear or it develops cylinder end shake over 0.003" get it tuned up by Frank Glenn or Spartan Gunsmithing.

As for buying a Python, do the timing checks, check for excess cylinder end shake, and just LOOK at the gun.
Look for the usual rust or pitting, a re-blue job, or signs of abuse like dinked up screw slots.
Usually if a Python looks good, it IS good.

Watch out for Pythons "in the box" especially "New in the box". These days probably most are counterfeit boxes and end labels that you can buy on ebay.

Buy a good Python and treat it like you should and you're about as well armed as you can get.

Doc: if it is gonna replace a safe queen, then I can't see you carrying it.

The damn things cost too much for carry. Buy the Python, but carry something much less costly to replace.

Remember this: if you carry and have to pull it out, it most likely will be held as evidence and who knows how it will be treated by some non-caring bunghole in the evidence room.

If you have to actually use a CCW pistol, the pistol and it's cost will be the absolute LAST thing you need to worry about.

I always followed the standard of carrying the best quality pistol I could afford, so yes, I have carried Pythons on occasion.
I don't key my life or family on the cost of a gun.
In the end the finest, most expensive gun possible is worth a world of difference less to life.

Forget the nonsense of buying A single Python and buy a few variations of L-Frame Smiths.

Enjoy shooting them. Be happier.

Looking at a 66 python 4" blued never fired. Is $3K a fair price?
Sounds like it, Doc; and condition is everything, especially with a high-end Python. "Never Fired" vs. "ANIB" vs. NRA "Excellent" nearly "NIB" leaves you some room for wiggle on price. Sounds to me like you've found "the one"..Rod

I just shake my head at the prices of these today. They were never that good of a gun to begin with imho and I’d take a good Smith & Wesson that didn’t lose timing and have to be sent back to the mfg to be fixed, over the colts. Action is smoother on the smith as well and it has two points of lock up compared to the weaker single point on the colt. For a display piece, they are pretty though.

1. Pythons have always been collectibles more than working guns so "shooter" Pythons are rare.

2. While the Python is a superior revolver I would not carry one. Normal wear and tear will occur. It could get lost or stolen. If used in a shooting it will be taken as evidence with no guarantee it will ever be returned and if it is, it may not look pretty. I've seen guns come from police property rooms that were covered in rust, banged all to hell, even saw one with a bent barrel. Do you really want to risk a $3,000 gun to such a fate? But it's your decision. Maybe you want to pack a Python and dire consequences be damned.

PS: The last Python I acquired was a 4" in blue. Paid $400 for it. Guess it's been a while.

The single point "weak" Colt lock up and the "stronger" S&W lock up is one of those old wives tales.

The S&W HAS to have a second lock because the cylinder rotates counter-clockwise, which pushes it OUT of the frame.

The Colt only needs one lock because the clockwise cylinder rotation forces it INTO the frame where the mass of the frame supports it.

The Colt Mark III, Mark V, King Cobra, and Anaconda were some of the most durable revolvers ever made, partly because of the stronger locking design.
S&W famously had to modify the S&W .44 Magnum when with heavy loads the cylinder would unlock.
The Anaconda never had such a problem.

I saw more S&W's with worn lock up then I did Colt's.

In the end it's all academic because S&W, Colt, and Ruger were all fine revolvers that with care will last a lifetime.

The bottom line is, if you have to use a pistol to save a life and it's a "good shoot" you'll get your gun back, and even if you don't due to some Lefty cities simply keeping it, it'll still be money extremely well spent.

Mike 703,
Thanks for the info you sent me. I emailed Simpson. They just got in a huge Python collection all different lengths. Sounds just like the condition & price range I can go up to. I have 2 levels for wanting a great condition 4" blued Python.
First, I gifted my Godson my 1966 Python in primo condition. Second, it was the finest revolver I've ever shot & IMHO they just don't make them like that these days. I will shoot it but shoot very lightly. Yes I realize that it would effect the value, but at this stage of my life, that is not a overriding problem.

Rick Grimes has taken on an army of bad guys and zombies with his issue Python. If you like them buy two to carry and shoot. Life is too short to carry something less than what you want. Be sure to post some pictures of your python and carry rig.

If you have to actually use a CCW pistol, the pistol and it's cost will be the absolute LAST thing you need to worry about.

I always followed the standard of carrying the best quality pistol I could afford, so yes, I have carried Pythons on occasion.
I don't key my life or family on the cost of a gun.
In the end the finest, most expensive gun possible is worth a world of difference less to life.

Firstly, we are talking revolvers, not pistols.

Best quality does not mean better function.

I have revolvers that cost <$200 that function as good as any Python.

The last word is, it is your money, do what you want with it, but if you get your gun confiscated for evidence, just call it a total loss.

why do some guys buy a 56 Ford or a 66 Vette? They can spend a lot of $$$ like for a new Lexus or BMW. They buy these classic cars because of many reasons & one might be a
physiological reason like it was their first car they bought. Some of the people on this Forum have 10, 20, 30 Pistols & Revolvers. Why? 2 or 3 should do the job & if you didn't buy those 3 or 4 guns you could buy a nice Python. It's just a matter of your priorities.
At my age, it's not the money. BTW, your Pistol/Revolver collections can be insured against theft, lose or damage. So to my friend Dufus, I really have no worries about this.
I was in the Gem Stone biz for 47 years I had people by stones that were easily in the 100K & up, way up.Some of them were afraid to wear them & my answer was you can get insurance but why buy it if you will not wear it. That's a waste.
I feel the same about getting this Python. I'll carry it & use it. Not everyday becuse I live in a state that I have to carry concealed. This wouuld be a tad uncomfortable ITW but in a shoulder holster that's not too hard. On the job I carried it in my rig. well that's not posible here. But I did carry it in a shoulder holster when I wore a jacket or sport coat.
As soon as it arrives, I'll post pictures.

Back