Need help with scope issue, please!

Eye relief will ALWAYS change with magnification change - no matter the scope brand or model. The higher the magnification is adjusted, the shorter the eye relief will be. However, high end scopes do a better job with this than cheapo scopes. Many high end scopes are designed to keep the total change to less than 1", so it is usually not a problem (and often not noticed by the shooter). Cheapo garbage scopes can have eye relief that changes by several inches over the magnification range.

One exception: variable magnification LER SCOPES will always have a rather large change in eye relief with magnification adjustment. As a result, depending on the exact mounting position, sometimes a portion of the magnification range is unusable for some shooters.

This is ONE reason why it is important to mount the scope in the proper position for the individual shooter. The exact location for mounting, if properly done, will be a compromise between the highest and lowest settings. But, as I said, with a quality scope, the variation should never be a problem, except with some LER scopes mounted forward of the receiver.

Focusing the eyepiece is NOT a substitute for proper positioning of the scope. The eyepiece focus is only used for getting sharp focus on the RETICLE ("crosshairs"). Every users eyes are different, so that is why eyepiece (Ocular) focus capability is needed.

The problem the OP described, as stated by others previously, IS a problem of the scope NOT being mounted properly to a compromise position between the lowest and highest magnification settings (and thus, the correct eye relief for HIM). The ONLY correct solution is to re-mount the scope PROPERLY for the OP.

Last edited:
i mount my veriable scope with a full field at the highest power and find i have full field at the lower powers. and i have had scopes with out AO that had 3-4" parallax at 100 yrds and away they went. eastbank.

I don't see any reason to think there's a problem. Focus the eyepiece, and go shooting. Then see what you think.
I had to exposition my scope a few times to move 1/4". An off eye relief bugs me. Maybe it is just me. My scope has variable power 3x-9x. But its eye relief doesn't seem to change when I set to different magnifications though.

-TL

If you check all the manufactures specs most have a shift, some more than others. Usually shorter with higher power.
There's a small amount of latitude in the correct positioning though so you probably wont ever find it a problem.

Tsg915, instructions come with the scope, its not hard to do yourself. There are helpful video's on line that will walk you through it. Proper cheekweld is very important to. Eye relief should be set by you. Parallax is after it it set up properly.

Back