Need help on used values S&W 686

In my area....any early gun in a 4" or 6" model 686 ( up thru the dash 4's ) ...is about a $ 700 - $ 800 gun, if its clean and timing is good - even without box and papers.../ but the 4" guns are in higher demand, and tougher to find and will demand prices at the upper end -- the 6" guns will typically be at the lower end. If you find an early 2 1/2" barrel in a 686 ( they introduced them in 1990 in the dash 3's and it will usually demand another $100 in my area --- they're very hard to find too ). The 8 3/8" barrels are not very popular in my area...and are selling for about $ 100 less than the 6" versions in the same shape.

Don't be afraid of the overstamped "M" on the 686 or 686-1's if you find one...it just means the gun was recalled by the factory, repaired, and put back in circulation with the "M" stamp on it...( I have a 6" 686-1 that has the M and its a very nice gun).

The 6" 686's in my area are less popular ...and they're selling in the $ 600 - $700 price range - again if they're clean and timing is good.

The 686 dash 5's is when the MIM parts and the internal frame lock start showing up ...and they are typically $ 100 under the pre lock and older dash models in the same barrel length.

My favorite 686 is a dash 2, in a 4"...(although I have a dash 3 in 2 1/2", I prefer the N frame in the shorter barrels --- 627 in a 2 5/8" ).. / I like the 686-1 in a 6" as a woods gun, or a nightstand gun but I find it a little clumsy in and out of a holster at the range - compared to either the 686 in a 4" or the older model 27's or 28's in a 4". The 627 perf center gun in a 5" is a nice compromise..heavy, longer sight plane, easy to shoot, 8 shot...

( the newer model 627's ..N frames, 6 or 8 shot / the standard versions are still in the $1,000 - $ 1,100 price range / the Performance Center models are about $100 - $ 150 more ...depending on what stocks are on them / and all of the model 627's are Round Butt frames ....vs the older model 27's ( blued or Nickel were all 6 shot, Square Butt frames ).

Last edited:
What are you using 'em for? The difference between a 4" and a 6" is the balance and how it feels in your hand.
Prices, of course, vary from place to place, but I wouldn't pay an extra $160 just for a longer barrel.

Man! Y'unsz iz gonna git me into trouble! I'm startin to think I was stupid for not taking that 4" home with me! I'm gonna call that LGS in the morning and find out if that gun is still there and go ahead and get it. I guess it's OK to be broke as long as ya got plenty of guns to keep ya company! Heheeeeeeee! Hopefully it hasn't sold yet.

What a difference a couple of days can make. Yes, the gun was still available when I called the gun shop, but I decided to wait until I tried the Pachmayr grips I ordered for my SP101. Trying them out today worked out so well that I've decided to wait before buying a larger framed 357. After all the comments I've been reading lately about the used S&Ws being much better quality than the new ones, I've decided to wait until I find a really really nice used one, maybe one that hasn't been fired a lot or obviously in like new condition. The 4" -3 I was looking at is nice, but it isn't in what I'd call like new condition. So, I can get my 357 "fix" with the SP101 for now, and get the must have pristine older version 686 when I find one. I really appreciate all the help I'm getting from y'all on getting a 686. :)

And to add a small addendum to Buck360's comment, even today's Smiths are very good quality tools. I personally cycled through about four model 14's (all from the seventies)trying to find consistency in throat diameters and a smooth forcing cone. Very frustrating I bought a new 686+ just to give the company's newest offering a try. Zero leading with almost any diameter HBWC at a wide variety velocities and 7/8 inch rested groups at twenty-five yards!!! With this kind of performance it is easy to overlook that small piece of metal next to the hammer.

O4L, if you'd like, I can give you the name and number of the gun shop. I don't know where you live, but it's located in Indiana. Maybe they'd be willing to ship it to one of your local gun shops.

O4L, if you'd like, I can give you the name and number of the gun shop. I don't know where you live, but it's located in Indiana. Maybe they'd be willing to ship it to one of your local gun shops.
I appreciate the offer, but of course I'm low on funds right now. :(

There are other potential differences that will affect price. I see terms like: pre-lock, no dash, hi polish. Then you have LNIB. The 6" barrel is probably not the defining characteristic here. I dont know all these number models, just guessing.

Just me I find a 686 under $500.00 in good shape,I'm buying if that's what i'm looking for.Now if it's $ 500.00 + i'm buying a new 686,like I said it's just me.

Back