Need Help on Deciding Between 3 Rifles For Deer Season

Personally, I would go for the Marlin. i have 1 in 308 that will put 4 shots in 1 ragged hole. ( I was trying for a 5 shot group, and pulled the last shot. As far as parts, and breakage, yes the Marlins have been discontinued, but the Remington 783 is rumored to be basically the same gun with a few cosmetic differences. The Marlin will accept a small shank Savage barrel if rebarreling is in the works. And, I just like the looks of the Marlin better. Simple classic lines, nothing funky looking. :D

Last edited:
Went back today and the Savage was gone. They had another 116 SS in 7 Mag, but it was in less than great condition, so I held the Marlin. Worked the action, inspected the bore, and that was all she wrote. I put enough down on it so the payout is only a little under $200 (I'll have it home before the end of the month.) I absolutely fell in love with it and can't wait to get it home and throw on some decent glass and start shooting. Thanks for all of the input! I'll update and post pics when the time is right.

I'd keep looking and handling different rifles.

There are many cartridges that will perform equally well, and you have months before deer season rolls around.

You'll know the right one when you pick it up, and the chambering really makes very little difference

I had the Marlin in .270 and loved it. Got rid of it when I inherited my dad 700 in .30/06. If you search under my user name you will see a thread I started about the Axis 50 cent Trigger Job. I did my kids, and while still not a great trigger, certainly a great improvement and easy to do.

What caliber is your primary hunting rifle?
You should get same caliber for the backup rifle.
Makes ammo logistics much easier.

To answer the question, my '75 Interarms Mark X (main hunting rifle) is in .30-06. I'm going with the Marlin in the same caliber because of ammo. It's easy to horde .30-06 because it is sold anywhere that sells any kind of ammo generally. My Mark X groups best with 150 gr SP, but I'll be looking to try the 165 gr core lokts with my Marlin. I know the game can't tell what it is they're being hit with, but I do like the idea of more energy with negligible velocity loss. Anyone with experience know how much difference between the patterning of 165 vs 150 in an '06? I don't want to have to resight my guns if I'm switching bullet weights mid season or miss an easy shot because of an ammo mix-up.

Definitely planning in it. I've spent many beautiful Saturday mornings out back on the shooting bench pissing off my wife. Lol. I always make up for it with a special evening!

Back