need help, M1 Garand with long copper bullets

I think you'll be fine with the starting loads. They leave a lot of empty space in the case. I also note that Hornady runs their solid GMX bullets at the same load levels as their same-weight cup-and-core bullets in their bolt-gun 30-06 loads, so they must be mild enough for both. The Garand action is strong, and between that and the Garand Gear plug, you should be in good shape.
Very good point. I should have though to cross reference their GMX bullet loads. Thanks a ton. has been very helpful. Working up for the Garand has been a bit of a learning curve, but I think it will be well worth it.

learning curve

I'm not an expert either, and loading for the Garand was a trip for me as well.
Here's some points I've learned to which one needs to pay attention :
*C.O.A.L- I do not have my data here, but ALL my M1 loads get seated to the
length, which mirrors GI ball ammo

*Headspace-invest in a RCBS precision mic, or similar headspace gauge.
Read up on correct headspace setting for Garands. Excessive case sizing
can increase chances of a slamfire

*Primers-all primers are expensive these days, if found at all. But Garands
cost even more, and ones vision and fingers are priceless. Buy the #34's
and play it safe.

I've seen a few dozen slam fired cases from Garands as well as M14s. Every one had primers dented the same depth as normally fired rounds. Proof the firing pin fully dented the primer because the hammer struck it normally.

Large rifle primers need to be dented at least .020" to. 025" to fire.

Buy a carbide primer pocket uniformer. You will be surprised how much primer pocket depth will vary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by bamaranger View Post
Excessive case sizing can increase chances of a slamfire.
Please explain how excessive sizing increases the likelihood of a slam fire. Thanks.
I "think" bamaranger meant to say... insufficient case sizing can increase chances of a slamfire.
[Worse, an out-of-battery "incident"]
:eek:

On that note: Full Length size all gas guns -- especially Garand-based designs.
Either do a continuous paperclip test before re-using cases, or just throw them
away after 5-6 loads to be on the safe side re case separations.

Last edited:
Well, got some testing done today.
Hornady Load data except OAL

Hornady brass
Winchester primer per hornady data (tested, seated just below flush. Slight dimple when chambering, same as mil spec ammo we tested)
Lehigh OAL of 3.215
Tested from Hornady start of 42.3, up to 46.0 (hornady states 46.2 max)
42.3 failed to fully cycle the gun. it extracted and ejected the casing, but hung up trying trying to strip the next round. My friend did not want to waste the bullets and based on having the Garand Gear gas plug felt comfortable going to max. We loaded up at 46.0 even. Cycled the gun well, did not kick the casings overly far, fed fine. Good days testing.

Daylight was fading and we did not get a change to get it on paper or over the Chronograph. Hopefully we can some time next month when the weather is good.

A note for another day
My range time has sometimes been late in the day.
As my CED chrono times the bullet's shadow....even with the plastic sky screens in place,I got inconsistent/erratic chrono reads sneaking tests in approaching sundown. Velocities read high.

I have checked this chrono against other chronos and nothing seems amiss.

I suggest doing chrono work while the sun is between a directional 10 and 2 oclock up from the horizon.

At least,thats what works for me.

Got a Caldwell chronograph. Despite having shot it twice now, it is still going strong, and as long as I put the bullets over the sensors it has always given me consistent data.

Load data from Barnes online manual

https://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/30-06Springfield.pdf

These are .30-06 bolt action loads so much higher than the Garand. But the starting loads are close the 2800fps max for 150 gr bullets in the Garand.

I have had good accuracy with Varget and 150 gr bullets at a mild 46.5 gr and a still modest 48.0 gr. Even if the Lehigh copper bullets have more drag (I don’t know, just supposing for safety sake) my loads are below the normal Garand max for Varget and 150 gr bullets. YMMV

{Edit: Please read the board rules on posting copyrighted materials.}

Well, with the given load,
Hornady brass
Win LRP
46.2g Varget (max charge)
152g Lehigh Controlled Chaos, seated to 3.215 (per Lehigh)
With a Schuster gas plug

1rnd test (thought we had 16, only had 8 with us, other 7 were shot for accuracy)
2700fps

A touch higher than the 2600 hornady stated.

Back