Need help in deciding on 357

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith or Ruger, can't go wrong as long as it's in .357 Magnum. Colt's don't suck either. I think the S&W 686PP is the one with the "PowerPort" I believe it's a seven shooter too. If you don't plan on carrying the pistol, I'd definitely go for the six inch tube as they make it easier to shoot due to the longer sight radius. Good luck and welcome.

------------------
TJS

Thanks guys,

I don't question the quality of the Ruger. Like I said, I've had the Mark IV for many years and it is super.

But, there's something that draws me to the S&W.

Still have not decided on the size though. For my needs the 6" sounds great. But, I have not ruled the 4" out.

Seems like in some other thread on the 686 people were saying that the 7 rounds version had a weak area or problem. Guess, I'll go with the time tested version.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Take em easy,

Dave

Wow, that's one nice looking gun you have Cornered Rat. Seven rounds too.

Hmmm, maybe I should look into that seven round option.

Big Dave,

The 686p is a 7-shot, the 686pp is power ported. Avoid the pp if you want to get into competition unless you want to also get a heads-up display type sight and go open class. The 7-shot is really not a major advantage in competition if you figure the reload scenarios, but it tickles me to have a surprise for Bad Guys. I will soon have a 627 PC 8-shot. I LOVE my 686p and almost live with it, but intend to pick up a Ruger GP100 with a 4 or 6 inch barrel and a Redhawk with max barrel and scope for silhouette / hunting. I will also pick up a Taurus 66 or 608 for home defense as I expect that the LEO would impound a home defense weapon for evidence and wouldn't want to have my best guns in the not too gentle hands of the evidence and law clerks.

Big Dave, Obviously, this is not going to be
a CCW choice; so barrel length does not really matter, I guess? For target shooting,
hunting and the like, a 6" tube would be better suited. The S&W 686 is a good choice.
For persons with extremely large hands,try
to find a Smith & Wesson Model 27 with either
6" or 61/2" barrel. Or, if money isn't a big
problem; go for the only Colt revolver in my
book, The Python Elite. No, I don't own my
own finance company (Ha, Ha)!!! Good luck
on your choice?

------------------
Ala Dan

hankrearden98,
If "prettier" is what you want, then go for the Smith... But their "classic" design has been around too long for my likings. It just plain looks OLD.

Go for the Ruger IMHO,
Ben

I appreciate all the input.

I read through all the S&W 686 threads I could find.

There were some issues about the 686P trigger as compared to the 686. However, a smith could work it out. I probably could not tell much of a difference.

The power port sounds neat, but the extra cost may not be justified.

KY Imports has some 4" 686's that are "about eight years old" and new in the box for $299. Sounds like a hell of a deal. But, I'm stuck on the 6".

I'm looking forward to shooting one this weekend. Think it's a standard 4" 686.

Take care guys.

Dave

KY Imports has some 4" 686's that are "about eight years old" and new in the box for $299. Sounds like a hell of a deal. But, I'm stuck on the 6".
Maybe I read it wrong, 8 years old and NIB? Or maybe you were saying tha there were new ones AND the old used ones were about 8 years old... help me out here.

Stick with a RUGER,
Ben

Ben,

I spoke to Paul Pierce at KY Imports.

My understanding was that although the guns are older, they are unused and in their original boxes.

Send me an e-mail if you want to contact him.

PS on the .357 mag.
I tested a 6" 586 last weekend. Liked it a lot and found the recoil to be pretty tame.

This weekend I'll test out a .44 mag.

Thanks for all the info.

Dave

JimDee, I understood the "Dirty Harry" revolver was actually a 41 magnum, at least in the original movie. I forget the source.

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back