Need help identifying this .22 pistol

Pietta used to sell a replica called the Pietta Parlor Pistol if you do a search it will come up. The Pietta used a pellet and a cap....thats it.

What you have looks to me to be the 1870 .22 cal version. After doing some more looking I would almost bet that it originally used Flobert cartridges and someon over the years hogged it out.

http://www.forgottenweapons.com/neat-parlor-guns/

Last edited:
In general, so-called "parlor pistols" were well made and had fine sights and excellent trigger pulls. Somehow, that doesn't look like it has either. I don't think it is 1870 or anywhere near that old, though I can't really say why. The barrel, hammer and trigger guard look like they came off some other gun(s) or, in other words, out of a gunsmith's or hobbyist's junk box.

Jim

Yes but, the Flobert parlor pistols had no breech block, they used the weight of the hammer or in other versions of the parlor pistols, a small swing over " gate " to contain the pressure of the low power cartridge, the OP's pistol has a solid frame to be used as a breech block which indicates a normal .22, full power cartridge.

The term "parlor pistol" has come to be used for any Flobert type pistol, but the real "parlor pistols" were used in some fairly serious target shooting and had decent grips, good (often adjustable) sights, and long barrels, often mimicking (as they were intended to do) the .22 and CF pistols used for outdoor target shooting. Maybe those little guns could be called "parlor plinkers" or something.

Jim

Back