Need help fast... Hunting rifle

Sounds like the Marlin 336 ejector (the little angle spring that slides into the side of the receiver) may have come loose and that tends to jam up the works.

If you move the lever forward with the ejector out of its slot, the lever jams in the open position because the ejector jams the bolt/firing pin assembly.

If the ejector wasn't fitted in the little hole on the left side of the receiver, it can slide around and come loose.
I speak from experience. I had it happen the first time I cleaned the rifle.
Now I am very careful to get it back into the little hole, before I slide the bolt in place and reattach the lever.

You can check to see if that is the problem. If there is someing in the hole flush with the exterior of the receiver, then the ejector is in place. If there isn't anything in the hole or the pin is not flush with the receiver then it probably has come loose.

I recently had that same problem. The screw on the loading gate came loose and when levering a shot the gate jammed up the works. It's aggravating but it's not a very big issue.

you have now seen the "marlin jam",get a cleaning rod ,or some such implement,stick it in the loading gate and push the shell back into the magazine.
the problem in the "lifter" is worn,or out of spec,and lets more than one round out of the tube at a time.
It may,or may not,work ok to empty the magazine before jamming again.
I just got a 1894 fixed a few month ago for the same problem.,cost about $135 to get fixed,including the new parts.

It would be a model 760 which was never real popular, and not near as accurate as most bolt guns.

It would either be a 760, or a 7600, both fine rifles. My 760 shoots into an inch with my hunting load, which I consider fine accuracy with my indifferent bench technique. The one drawback to that rifle is the magazine, which is a bit twitchy during magazine changes. However, this isn't a battle rifle, it's a hunting rifle. Properly seating the magazine simply takes a little attention. You can't simply slam it in and go.

I'm always on the lookout for a nice Rem 760 in the used gun racks. Folks in these parts don't seem to like them much, but I've found that they're much more accurate than the shooter, generally.

Back