Need help fast... Hunting rifle

Mikef262

This past weekend I took my brand new Marlin 30/30 hunting. It ended up breaking on me. I called the gun shop, and luckily the guy is real nice. He said he's got a Remington 270 pump action he will do an even trade with me. I need to know if that's a good deal, even if the gun is used. I paid $360 for the marlin. Thanks for the help fellas, and please excuse any typing errors. I am doin this via iPhone.

That would depend upon the condition of the 270. It would be a model 760 which was never real popular, and not near as accurate as most bolt guns. But if you were happy with a 30-30 it should be good for any range that the 30-30 would reach and alittle more.

Again, it depends on what kind of hunting/shooting you do. A .270 has way more range than the .30-30... in the hands of one who is familiar with the rifle, it is a legitimate 300-400yd rifle. It's a great caliber... possibly one of the BEST all around calibers for north American hunting, being perhaps slightly light for big elk and moose, but near perfect for everything else.
The 30-30 is limited to about 150yds, but is borderline perfect for deer sized game in that range.
There is nothing wrong with the Remington pumps, as long as you use good quality ammunition, or meticulous reloads. They are probably faster on the second shot than even the Marlin, if that matters to you.
Value-wise, is the pump new, or almost new? The condition of the rifle will determine whether it is a "good trade" or not. I imagine the Remingtons are more expensive new than the Marlin, but I haven't checked prices lately.

As much as I like leverguns (a LOT), I'd be tempted to go with the .270, for the versatility.... but that's just my opinion... worth what you paid for it. :D

I'd make that trade in a heartbeat . Once you learn how to run the pump you'll wonder why you ever owned a levergun . The .270 Win. is a whole different class of cartridge compared to the 30-30 ! IMHO you're movin on up .

It would be a model 760 which was never real popular, and not near as accurate as most bolt guns.

Being a forum newbie, obviously Catfish hasn't learned how to search the forum. Lots of comments on here about the extremely fine accuracy of the Rem 760 and 7600 pumps. They are FAR, FAR more accurate than any lever-action 30-30 and most will give a bolt action a good run.

I'll never give mine up.

Broke How

Broke as in factory issue or broke as in dropped from tree stand. My point is that there could be a warranty repair in your guns future.

The Remington pumps are a much better choice than the Marlin. They weigh about the same, are much faster for repeat shots than a lever, more reliable, and about as accurate as most bolt rifles. I prefer bolt guns, but if this 270 is in good shape I'd make that trade

I'm interested in what happened to your Marlin? I've been shooting lever action Marlins for many years and have never heard of one tearing up so bad that you couldn't fix it yourself. I would be interested in buying it.. that is ...if it hasn't been abused.:eek: Please let me know.

The lever is stuck in the upward position, and refuses to return to the downward position. Five guys and I couldn't get it to go back. There are still bullets in the tube that we can't get out.

ouch

is there still a live round in the chamber by chance?!?!?!?!?!?!? If so proceed with caution obviously. An expirenced gunsmith is in order here. I assume the fella at the shop knows what is going on with it and feels he can fix if for a trade.

I have bent a lever on one but never had it stuck in any particular position.

Regards, Vermonter

Try putting a cleaning rod down the bore and see if it goes all the way to the bolt (unloaded condition). If it doesn't, the rifle is loaded!!! If not, check to see if a round is stuck between the magazine and the rear of the carrier.

A gunsmith could probably fix the rifle in a half-hour. I'd call the company and see if they have a repair station nearby that you could take it to. You won't be able to ship the rifle with rounds in it.

You can remove the cap from the magazine and take the rounds out of the tube that way. Watch out that the spring doesn't go flying when you remove the cap screw. After the spring tension is removed and live rounds that aren't stuck in the tube are out, you may find one round still stuck between the tube and carrier. It may be possible to use a thin screwdriver or piece of metal to slide the round to the magazine and out.

If there is no round in the chamber and none in the action, but the action still refuses to open, you'll need to remove the lever pivot screw from the receiver and the lever may come out. The action should then be freed up, unless there's a bad cartridge stuck in the chamber.

Good luck. I wish you were nearby as I could probably fix the rifle in short order.

No round in the chamber, but 6 in the tube. I am taking it in tomorrow and trading it. I stopped by and seen the 270 today, and it was in great condition. I figure the broken gun will be his to deal with, and if nothing else he gets 6 free 30/30 bullets.

I like both levers and pumps. If I was buying used AND the Remington was a different cartridge I'd take the pump. But alas it's not a different cartridge so I'd pass.

Oh and by the way, while I consider the Remington pumps to be accurate enough, Marlin and Winchesters can be just as accurate. Just gotta feed each something it likes. I give a coin flip in the accuracy department.

Back