Need help 8MM Mauser

The Handloader's Guide is marginal. 7.7 is somewhat larger in head diameter than .30-06 and there will be more brass expansion than desirable. You can get away with it if your 06 brass is good and you don't push the loads, but it is always smarter to use the right brass if at all available.

Or just pay the price for factory loads. This is not a rifle you are likely to be shooting a whole lot.

Depending on whose reference one uses, the head diameter variance is 0.003" to 0.007" (Speer vs Sierra manuals).
That's probably peanuts compared to the chamber variances in those rifles. (I still have the Type 38 that
produced a rather dramatic bulge off to one side of factory 6.5x50 Jap because of where the extractor holds
things in a overly large chamber -- and that's in one of their "high quality" rifles.) ;)

I partially resized for a while (i.e., didn't overly work the brass) ...and finally went to forming cases from
243 Winchester. Those fit the chamber perfectly (which tells you the chamber dimensions I was working with...
...more than 20 thousandths) :eek:

Neither rifle is loaded/should be loaded to particiularly high pressures.

postscript: Dollars to donuts the OP has bulged brass from what he fired in is rifle -- even factory

If I'm not mistaken, on the Type 99, even though the "safety lug" was greatly reduced in size, the bolt handle still turns down into a notch in the receiver, with that notch effectively acting as the safety lug.

Yes. You can see what I'm talking about here in this picture of a late-war Type 99.

Arisaka_Type_99_boltlocked.jpg

Years ago, I hunted in Spain with a rented rifle in 7.9mm. I toppled a trophy fallow stag with one shot at approx 75 yards. Performance seemed about the same as my .308 rifle.

Jack

8mm Mauser and .30-06 are very similar in their performance curve, which means that they are right in there with the .308 Winchester.

i took it to the local gun shop and he said it was a 8MM Mauser Sporterized

You need to find a shop that hires people who know what they are talking about. This kind of ignorance could lead to serious problems!!!
I guess any sporterized military rifle that this guy sees he calls a "Mauser"

You need to find a shop that hires people who know what they are talking about. This kind of ignorance could lead to serious problems!!!
I believe that he already has as he has test fired it and gotten a proper appraisal of it already.

Thank God you didn't attempt to fire 8mm Mauser ammo through that Arisaka! (it may not have chambered though anyways - but just the same)

Mike Irwin,

It may be better said that the .308 is right in there with the 8mm Mauser and the .30-06, rather than the other way around. The old parent cartridges might take offense!

Back