Need help 8MM Mauser

Joshuak

Inactive
Hello all,

My Grandfather passed away and left me a rifle. I didnt know what it was so i took it to the local gun shop and he said it was a 8MM Mauser Sporterized . I would like to know a little more about this rifle because its a pretty cool one to my collecton plus it was my grandfathers....The only markings are on the side of the rec.View attachment 82806

imagejpeg_3.jpg

I'm no expert, but,,,

I'm no expert, but,,,

That bolt doesn't resemble any Mauser action I've ever seen,,,
It certainly doesn't resemble my K-98 at all.

In fact, it looks more like a Japanese rifle,,,
The knurled end of the bolt looks like a 7.7 Japanese rifle I once owned.

I would take it to a different gun store,,,
You need a second opinion my friend.

Aarond

Doesn't look like a Mauser, but rather a Japanese Arisaka (Type 99?). Are you sure it's chambered for 8mm Mauser rather than the Japanese 7.7mm round? Apparently the Chinese did convert some Arisakas to 8mm Mauser but it isn't exactly a common thing to run across.

edit: looks like someone beat me to it.

See the box he had it in had a 7.62 jap round box in and a pack of winchester 8mm's so i was lost .I started doing research on mausers and couldnt find anything like this so i thought why not just ask the people who know the most

this is an odd little rifle.
1. that is 100% without a doubt NOT a mauser. only one group of rifles has a bolt style resembling that and it is the japanese Arisaka. I am not familiar enough with them to know the exact model.

2. japanese rifles used oddball ammo that were and still are hard to get ahold of. not one of them should be chambered in 8 mauser unless your grandfather had it rechambered to match all his VFW buddy's bringback mausers.

3. the lettering and markings on the side of the reciever should not be hindi but should be japanese numerals. there should be a round flower under the scope bases.

all in all I am stumped. I have never heard of an arisaka being rechambered and very few people sporterized them because the ammo was so hard to get. you may have an interesting journey ahead of you.

EDIT: if it helps, the first pic you posted showing the serial and a pair or stamps shows that it IS a japanese arisake that has been through either the arsenal in Koishikawa or Kokura

Last edited:
sporterized japanese type 99s are going for less than 300 on gunbroker in thei original caliber, the arisaka really doesn't bring much to the table for hunters or sport shooters so the only people that really want them are collectors and they are usually only willing to buy sporterized as long as they are returnable to military configuration. yours has a bent bolt and if it truly is 8mm then it is definitely not able to return to military configuration.

I would say that it is only going to bring in 250 dollars or so. I would make sure it's safe to fire, keep it in the family and enjoy it the way your grandfather did.

EDIT: I believe yours is a type 99. here is what they look like in stock configuration

It also has a low serial number and i just called my wife to ask about the symbol stamp on tiop and she said it has nothing???

If it's a 7.7 Jap and you try shoving 8mm Mauser through it, that would not be conducive to a second shot.

What did "the gunsmith" do or look at to declare it an 8mm Mauser?

Pic:
- OP's on top
- Mine on the bottom (2)

4hfhvn.jpg

PS: That is a Jap Arisaka which someone has butchered (look where the right rear flange of the receiver shield has been ground off behind the bolt. You have NOTHING between you and eating the bolt if the forward locking lugs crack. )

I'd be very leery of giving it to anyone for field use

Last edited:
You may just have a different bolt.. I just left the arms room in Houston tx and he had one pretty identical to mine. Plus mine is missing the shield but it's not grinded down at all . If it is I need to meet the person who did it because he must be awsome at edging . But I did run 5 rounds threw it because he happened to have 2 boxes of them(pretty high) but all in all was cool but not something I would take deer hunting or target shooting. But his also didn't have the shield and he said it would be fine but I think I'm gonna get another opinion for Pasadena gun center.

But then again here is a Naval Type 99 Same one the gentelman i met tonight had with the same bolt but thanks for the info on my nothing but a BUTCHERED rifle.Do me a favor save this pic and then zoom in on the bolt looks pretty identical to mine NOT like yours...but please embelash on my BUTCHERED rifle some more please

Attachments

• photo.gif
    photo.gif
    25.8 KB · Views: 33
You have the follow-on Type 99, which did away with the effective third safety lug formed by the
bolt/receiver cut on the Type-38 (which PO Ackley considered/White Labs tested to be the
strongest of all military actions). The 99 relies purely on the front two locking lugs.

I'm very glad the second gun store gave you the correct 7.7x58 (JAP) ammunition. If you reload,
the Handloader's guide recommends forming the cases from 30-06 brass, and using the British .303 bullet
which runs a .311-313 groove diameter (if you're lucky). But now you have some brass to start.

Back