Need An Education on Browning High Powers

No reason not to get a Browning, it is a good conventional pistol in a sea of striker fired plastic.

The biggest myth that is propagated about the BHP is that John Moses Browning designed the gun we call the Brown Hi Power or P35. The inspiration for this design was his desire to correct "his mistakes" found in the 1911 design and that he considered the BHP to be his crowning achievement when it came to pistol designs. JMBs last pistol design was the Grand Rendement. Here is a pic of that gun.

All of these statements are false. The designer of the gun we shoot today and call the BHP was designed by Dieudonné Saive. He designed the Grande Puissance which is the gun adopted by the Belgians in 1935, with a few minor changes, that we still shoot today.

Maybe Mr Browning considered the BHP (or its ancestor) as his crowning achievement and thought the GR "corrected "his mistakes""; but there is one thing for sure.
He came up with a new design for the French contract (they renenged) which evaded his own patents assigned to Colt.
And one thing Msr Saive did was to plow Colt/Browning/1911 design elements back into the GR foundation as the patents expired.

Watch auctions by DWJ imports for an Israeli police pistol, exterior condition may look shabby but the pistols will be sound shooters. Ceracoat finish will take care of the exterior if wear bothers you also they mark import crap on the barrel and is not seen with slide forward...just for the record FN used Mk II and III but Mk I is not a correct descriptor ( it is with Inglis Hi Powers).

I have one for 51 years. Belgian made commercial. Mine is very accurate with lead reloads and I recommend a Ciener conversion unit for low cost practice.

Back