Need Advice!

Why do you say, " I know I don't want a revolver." ??

:confused::confused::confused:

Where did that come from? Nothing even remotely related to that statement in the OP!

A 4" barreled 357 Magnum revolver would be a good choice because of the ease of operation. A revolver is less prone to any kind of operational problems that could occur with a semi-auto. Although today's semi-auto handguns are very reliable.

One thought though if the gun is to be strictly for home defense, and not personal carry or recreation. Have you given any thought to a home defense style shotgun. Some very reliable pump action shotguns with short 18" barrels, and extended 6 round capacity magazines are available for less than a good quality revolver. Also, shotgun ammunition, especially in the larger shot sizes common for home defense hasn't been nearly as hard to find as good self defense handgun ammo.

I was wondering why so many want to talk her into a revolver when she clearly indicated she didn't want one.

bbdollsgrl, I've read through all this well-meaning advice and there doesn't seem to be a trend that would be much help to you other than try some things out before you decide.

I suggest you go here:

http://www.corneredcat.com/

You really need to find a way to try some different firearms before you make any expensive decisions.

Best of luck,

And, oh yes, I recommend you look at corneredcat.com

Best,

Will

My advice is to consider features first, then find a pistol that fits your needs.

Perhaps the first feature to consider is caliber. While .22LR makes it very easy to learn to shoot well, I would not recommend it for your first pistol, simply because you state that you want your first pistol to be for home defense and .22LR is not a great choice for that. 9 mm is a fine choice, being the least expensive of the major calibers and the equivalent or near-equivalent in stopping ability to the other larger, more expensive, and sometimes more difficult to shoot calibers.

Consider the positive and negative features of different trigger systems, and the presence or absence of a thumb safety, and other features that matter to you. Handle the pistols that have the features that you decide on and see what feels good in your hand. Then, if at all possible, shoot the last two or three finalists and see if they still feel good.

I can tell you what my daughter, similar in size to you, picked (Beretta PX4 Compact 9 mm) but that was her choice. If you want a double action trigger that transitions to single action after the first choice, and you want a thumb safety, it is worth considering. You are allowed to have different needs and wants, though, and those are what you need to consider as you make YOUR choice.

Corneredcat.com - bookmark it.

My final bit of advice is to read the well-meaning recommendations you will get here to find WHY a particular choice was made rather than WHAT was chosen. Understanding the reasoning behind choices will help you make your own decision. Every pistol has had someone who thought it was what they needed or they wouldn't have bought it; your job is to find what fits you.

TailGator has a very good suggestion, get to a female-oriented site. Male-dominated sites tend to dispense wisdom rather than finding truth.

A woman at my range plays with a .50 Desert Eagle, and quite well too. My wife, the same size, favors a small .38.

Find a rental range which have women on staff. No, this does NOT mean you will be told to purchase a pink LCP, it DOES mean that women view guns very differently from men.

In general, starting out, IMHO only, just about any polymer 9mm will be a good choice. Find one that fits and enjoy. You can slip into a very good 9 for $500.

Feel free to explore the used market. There are a lot of good guns, with little wear, and steeply discounted from their new equivalents.

Shoot and have fun. Listen to much advice, act on that advice that makes sense to you. Feel free to disregard all advice and find your own way.

Shoot and have fun, mostly have fun. If you have fun, everything else about guns will come together.

Where did that come from? Nothing even remotely related to that statement in the OP!

Yes, she clearly said she did not want a revolver in the OP. I unfortunately read it to say she knew she wanted a revolver and thought "great idea to start out with one". Then had to explain myself for recommending one.

Back