Need advice on used 1862 Police I bought

I doubt that I'm not going to have any success with getting a refund, so I'm just going to take a Scorched Earth approach with the seller. I won't go into details, but let's just say when I'm wronged and the seller won't make it right, I play a zero sum game.

The only good news is that the first inch or so of the barrel isn't bad, so I could chop it to 2 inches and with an 1862, that would make for a very short barrel cap and ball revolver and it being on the 1849 frame in .36 caliber would make for perhaps the best concealed carry percussion revolver out there. I'll post pics and a review if I do this.

I can also get a new 6.5 inch barrel and for the price of a new 1862, I'll have the sewer pipe 2 inch barrel and the 6.5 inch too.

So I'll still get something, the seller a negative review, and me things to entertain myself with when I see more people complain about him and his poopy business.

BTW, he is an FFL, so can I file a complaint with the agency that oversees FFL's?

That pesky internet.....

I'm with you Truthtellers. Zero sum game.

I once purchased a computer many years ago for which the seller claimed the memory was upgradeable to Y when it was only upgradeable to X.
That seller not only sold me the computer, but also sold the Addl. memory for said computer.
I even brought him in a statement from the manufacturer of the "mother" board stating what I had discovered when trying to upgrade it.
I was pretty ticked off as he lied to me, and refused to make it right.

My wife, and my son and I took shifts picketing his store. My son even made signs that he hung on his dog like a sandwich board that said my computer is a dog.
We picketed for only a day or two. The store owner called and asked that he be allowed to make it right, and he did so.

Funny we heard about that little picketing deal for years. Everybody in town remembered the dog and the kid, both with signs.

In fact we mended our fences and I continued to do business with them for years.
I made sure to let those who asked or knew about it that he did indeed make the deal right.

2 things, actually 3, 1)I'm sure Hawg I correct that gun will shoot fine 2) Changing the bolt, or just tightening the spring screw will tighten the cylinder play. 3) NEVER buy a gun off GB or Ebay without looking at the sellers rating by the buyers !!! I've dealt on GB selling (and buying ) for over a dozen years, offer no returns and have a 100 percent satisfactory rating, some folks can be trusted and some can't.

2 things, actually 3, 1)I'm sure Hawg I correct that gun will shoot fine 2) Changing the bolt, or just tightening the spring screw will tighten the cylinder play. 3) NEVER buy a gun off GB or Ebay without looking at the sellers rating by the buyers !!! I've dealt on GB selling (and buying ) for over a dozen years, offer no returns and have a 100 percent satisfactory rating, some folks can be trusted and some can't.
His rating was fine, the only negative ones he had were stuff that sold in store before an auction ended. That's happened to lots of sellers.

But the fact is that he sold a gun with a bore described as good when it was actually pitted to hell and refused to do a return and refund stating "all sales are final" after I received it in the mail when that wasn't stated in the item description or terms.

Unless the gun was made pre-1899, you can't give if a "good" condition if the bore looks like it's been stored for 10 years with a wet towel in it.

Shoot it first. I'm betting it will shoot just fine.

That is good advice from Hawg.

Let's go with the premise that you are stuck with the pistol.

I believe you have never stated the manufacturer or the date code.

It may be an older Pietta, but I am going to assume it is an Uberti.

The cylinder/chambers look like they can be cleaned up satisfactorily.

Even if it shoots well, you still might have an inkling to get a new barrel to salvage your purchase.

VTI Gunparts has them new for $120 plus shipping in 6.5", 5.5", and 4.5".

I emailed them as far as them being in stock a day ago and the 6.5" is in stock (1).

http://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=17&cat=Uberti+1862+Police

New parts like this always have a stiff price tag, but so do appliance and automotive parts. That's how they make their money.

I checked Ebay and no luck other than a 3.5" barrel.

If you procure one, you can use the load lever, rammer, screws, lever catch, wedge, and wedge screw from the original barrel.

If it is an Uberti, you will also need to check the arbor length vs the barrel lug arbor recess for proper fit. Uberti arbors are notoriously short. I know I have harped about this before (probably ad nauseum to other forum members).

If you have questions about this situation, I would contact the pro: Mike at

http://www.goonsgunworks.com/

I hope this helps. I am an 1851 Navy .36 "type" guy and not a Colt 1860 Army/1861 Navy/1862 Pocket Police afficianado, but I know a bit about them.

Good luck with your situation, sir!

Jim

To make up for this whole black powder revolver debacle, I decided to buy the Pietta Sheriff that's on sale at Cabela's right now. I also had a gift card and it brought the total price down to $120.

A Pietta Police is simply a navy with a short barrel and fluted cylinder. A Uberti Police is a five shot .36 based on the 49 frame like the originals.

Hawg says:

A Pietta Police is simply a navy with a short barrel and fluted cylinder. A Uberti Police is a five shot .36 based on the 49 frame like the originals.

The Colt 1862 Pocket Police .36 is based upon the Pocket pistol with a rebated cylinder and a cut water table in barrel lengths of 3.5" (rare), 4.5", 5.5", and 6.5", using the 1861 smooth Navy barrel/load lever in smaller lengths.

The Colt 1862 Pocket Navy .36 (some say 1865) is based upon the Pocket pistol and has the same rebated .36 cylinder/cut water table but with the octagon barrel and 1851 type load lever as seen with the 1851 Navy pistols.

When Sam Colt died in 1862, I believe this was an attempt by his widow and heirs to use up parts inventory. After the ACW we see the Colt company trying to clean up inventory with cartridge "open top" conversions of the 1851 Navy at least 2 years prior to the introduction of the 1873 SAA.

I have no idea what Pietta and Uberti, nor Pedersoli, are selling these days.

My guess is that Pietta has no problem producing fantasy guns, and although I like Pietta for price and quality, some of their stuff is just too far out.

Jim

It's the New Model Army 1858 Sheriff in .44, not the Pietta 1862 that is in now way a repro of the real 1862 Pocket model.

It's the New Model Army 1858 Sheriff in .44, not the Pietta 1862 that is in now way a repro of the real 1862 Pocket model.

In your original post you said 62 Police.

The Colt 1862 Pocket Police .36 is based upon the Pocket pistol with a rebated cylinder and a cut water table in barrel lengths of 3.5" (rare), 4.5", 5.5", and 6.5", using the 1861 smooth Navy barrel/load lever in smaller lengths.

You are correct I just didn't feel like doing all that typing. :D

If interested I can sell new Uberti Colt Police 1862 barrel + cylinder to you. Cylinder has some rotating marks, but it has never fired. Lenght of the barrel is 5.5. Total cost with shipping would be approx 115 USD. These parts belonged to brand new Uberti Police revolver which had cylinder timing issues.

Back