Need advice on snubbies.

Bruce Banner

I am planning on buying a snubby that will shoot 357 mag. but need advice on which one. I am currently considering the Taurus 605, but have heard about some quality issues. I can't find any used S&W snubbies in SC, I guess everyone is buying them in the boycott. Should I say to hell with the boycott and buy a new S&W or go with the Taurus? Is the Taurus really that bad? Thanks in advance.

Taurus has had some quality issues (so have S&W, Colt, Springfield, etc...).
I own three Taurus revolvers currently. One, a Model 85UL, is my primary carry gun.
Once you buy your Taurus, put 2-3 hundred rounds through it to see how reliable it is.

I sugest that you go with the S&W J-frame snubbies. Not slamming Taurus on quality, but S&W simply has a wider and better selection of options.

While the Taurus line-up offers a bobbed-hammer, S&W offers both concealed hammer guns such as the M-640 and shrouded hammer guns like the M-638 wihch can still be thumb cocked for Single Action shooting. I consider my M-640 to be one of the best pocket pistols ever designed.

In order, I recommend the M-638, because of the SA option, the M-640, and the M-60. Fourth choice is a Ruger SP-101 and fifth is any Taurus you like.

Doc Hudson

I have two (1 Total Titanium, and 1 Stainless) Taurus 38 snubbies and I have been pleased with both. No problems whatsoever....

my2taurus38s.jpg

I am considering a .357 snubbie too. I will not get a scandium simply because I have a Titanium 342PD and even with standard pressure it is painful and not enjoyable. My Taurus 85UC is ported and delightful to shoot, and was more accurate, and had a superior trigger compared to my SW. I am leaning toward either a colt magnum carry, or a SW M60 in .357. It will kept in my car the majority of time and so .357 penetration is ideal. Best of luck.

• Colt Magnum Carry!! Now that is a sweat little revolver if you can find one. The factory Hogue grips are comfortable, and shooting most .357 loads is painless and controllable, with two hands. My wife loves hers. The only thing I have found less than satisfactory about it is the sharp edges on the trigger.
  • You'd have to be insane to shoot it inside a car,though. When you shoot it out at the open range, You can feel the concussion thump you in the chest when you pull the trigger. You'd be lucky if hearing aids would even be of any use to you if you fired it in a car without hearing protection.

SC - cali or carolina?

Bruce, if it's Carolina, we have a GS in Columbia that has a bunch of S&W M65s with the 3 inch barrel. They are department trade-ins and priced right.

Giz

If you look through old posts, you'll find just as many shooters lamenting their recently purchased Taurus as any other brand. I've put a round or two through a newly purchased Taurus 44 spl. The only reliability issue was the knurled tip of the ejector rod unscrewing enough to jam on the detent in the shroud, preventing the cylinder from opening. My fellow TFL'rs gave me the fix (puttin it back on w/ blue locktite) and informed me it also happened to smiths (I suppose it could happen to any wheelgun that uses a detent in the shroud as part of it's locking system). I would have preferred a Ruger 44 spl snub, but one is not forthcoming (they'll have to get popular before Ruger'll jump on the bandwagon). If reliability was of the utmost concern I'd get the Ruger, otherwise, I reckon Smith and Taurus are just fine.

If I were you, I would take a good look at the Ruger SP101.
Now this is a solid little revolver! The only down side is that it is a little heavy compared to some of the Smiths and the Taurus revolvers. This weight helps with the recoil when shooting .357 magnums. I believe it weighs in about 27 ounces.
This is the only gun I feel comfortable carrying

Gizmo,

I live in columbia what GS are you talking about? Is it palmetto or lawmens? I've been to shooters choice but they don't have many good used revolvers? I'm also thinking 3" barrel is going to be too big for what I want, I want a 2-2 1/4 inch barrel w/ concealed hammer. This is going to be my primary ccw, I have a Glock 30 that I'm using right now but it is on the big side for most places. There is a gun show this weekend at the fairgrounds, so I'll probably check it out, if not I'm going to shooters choice and get me a Smith. The Colt sounds good but can't find one. The Ruger is a little on the heavy side and a little big also.
I wish Ruger made a little snubbie then it would be a no brainer.

Bruce - the shop is Lawman's. They have a raft of the 3 inch M65s at $225.00 or so. You might want to consider shooting some IDPA matches with us sometime.

Drop me an email...

Giz

Gizmo,

I shoot IDPA out at Mid-Carolina also. I have been to the last 3 outings but had to miss the one last weekend. I shoot in the SSP class with my Glock 30. I am going to the qualifier match on the 17th.

I have a S&W Model 60 (stainless steel), S&W Model 36 (blue finish), and a Taurus Model 85UL. No problems with any of them but the Taurus is the best buy for the dollars.

However, I prefer the "J-frame" S&W revolvers, especially in the 3" barrel models. The Model 60 in my opinion is a fine gun. I'm always looking for these guns on the used market, BUT WILL NOT BUY A NEW S&W FOR ANY PRICE.

Had a 1970's production Colt Detective 2" barrel in nickel finish for a few years. Trigger was terrible and "stacked" just before release. Hated it, but made a substantial profit in selling it.

Rugers? - very heavy and never felt right in my hand.

While I rarely carry revolvers anymore, the S&W Model 60 still has its place in my collection. (My wife now claims them!!!)

Bruce,

I support the S&W ban and abide by it myself. However, that being said, I think when it comes to protecting your life, I would get the best that is available. I think that honor lies with the Model 60. I don't have one myself, but a good friend has one, and loves it. It combines a short barrel, small frame, great accuracy, and suberb feel. I have handled Taurus handguns before, and have not been impressed with their quality. Get the M60, used if possible, new if not. BTW, if you do buy a S&W, pay penance by writing S&W telling that while you may have purchased one of their guns, you will never buy another (and then stand by this committment!). If this was just for plinking, I'd agree with the rest of the folks, but in this case I'll dissent.

sox,

Please consider not leaving your gun in your car. Many, many guns have been stolen this way, and I am sure you would not want yours to end up in the hands of a criminal.

Rock_Jock,

That is exactly the way I feel about it. I also abide by the Smith and Wesson boycott and would rather not buy a new one if possible, but if I can't find a used one I will probably buy a new one. I just can't help but love the Smith and Wesson revolvers and since this would be the weapon that could save my life I believe it should be the best. The Taurus model 605 that I looked at just didn't have the quality that I want.

Bruce (can't place you from the IDPA matches BTW) I noted that you like Rugers - the SP101 is a great revolver. Try keeping an eye on the Carolina Trader too.

Giz

Back