Need Advice on buying a 22 Revolver

Love my S&W 18. Matches my Mod. 15 PERFECTLY! The ultimate COMBAT MASTERPIECES that are match accurate!! I think $599.00 is high. I bought mine in mint shape a few years ago for $250.00. Good deals are out there. Hard to find but worth the wait. :)

I here good things about Dan Wessons too! Interchangable barrels! NICE!:cool:

I have a Taurus Mod.94 which is modelled similarly to the S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum .357.
I have had problems with missfires in the Taurus, and I cannot find parts readily. I would think that S&W parts should be easier to obtain, if it ever becomes an issue.
-And out of the box, how can you beat a trigger like S&Ws' ?

I have a Taurus model 94 in blue 9 shot cylinder, 4" barrel, its 3 years old and I have many thousands of rounds out of it. A range session will usually consist of 200-300 rounds out of this gun.

It is very accurate at 25 yards, and seems to be very well made. Like you I felt that the smith & wesson was too huge for .22lr.
I also own a model 43 S&W made in 1973 ( the last year they made these its an air weight 6 shot with a 3.5" barrel.

The used smith cost more than the Taurus. The taurus has a better trigger pull, and is as accurate if not more accurate.

I get misfires in all of my .22 revolvers with match grade ammo, this happens when the cylinder is not clean and the rounds are not fully seated, the match grade ammo fits tighter and the first strike of the hammer seems to seat the round it then fires on the second strike.

I Now use remmington subsonic or cci blazers in my revos and they do not misfire. If I use match grade ammo or CCI standard velocity I have to clean the cylinder with a brush first to make sure they seat all the way. This condition is common to revolvers with a tight chamber.

Get the Taurus its an excellent .22 revolver around here you can get a NIB for 250-300.

I have had my Taurus mod 94 w/ 4" barrel since before the ice age. This year alone, I'll put over 7k rounds through it. Sure it has a heavy trigger, the finish sucks and the adjustable sights self-adjust...It has also been dropped in a creek and forgotten about, neglected and abused more than any other gun I own or have owned. It still goes bang everytime I pull the trigger and has taught my son how to shoot DA pistols :D All in all, I'm happy with it.

I found a used S&W Model 36 Kit Gun .22 LR, 4 inch barrel revolver at a local shop here in Houston and bought it right then and there for my son. He's 8 now but has had it since he was 6.

I will tell you that when we go to the range as a family, my daughter, wife and me all stand in line to shoot his gun. It is a lot of fun and has been rock steady since I bought it.

I have even used it in my classes to introduce new shooters (women mostly - but some men too) to firearms. :)

S&W Model 36 .22 caliber Kit Gun?

AndyS, if this is the case you have a "one of a kind"; definitely worth holding on to. S&W model
36's are listed in every catalog that I've ever
seen, as the .38 caliber "Chief's Special";
available with 2" or 3" barrel's.

The weapon you are speaking of, a S&W 4" .22
caliber "Kit Gun" should be the model 34. Also,
available in the harder to find 2" barrel.

Please re-check your weapon for the correct
information, and let the member's know.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Ala Dan,

You are correct, I don't have to check - I know you are right.
My mistake, don’t know why I typed 36. Obviously, I mean 34 :)

Thanks!

Back