Need Advice on buying a 22 Revolver

Al205

Hi , i want to purchase a 22 cal Revolver , for mostly
range use . Can anyone tell me if Taurus 22's are any
good ? Thanks

Greeting's My Friend,

If I were in the market for a .22 caliber revolver, I'd by-pass the Tauri and buy
the ultimate choice; a Smith & Wesson
model 18 "Combat Masterpiece". They can
be had with a 4" barrel and target hammer,
and target trigger; along with target sight's
and target stocks as standard equipment. Saw
one advertised over at Guns America in LNIB
condition for $599.00, I believe if memory
serves me correctly? These little gem's are
definitely keeper's; wish I had mine back.
They were discontinued several years ago,
but still can be found in mint condition.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

I am very happy with my S&W model 617 10-shot. I opted for the 4" bbl version because it balances well and is still plenty accurate. Tried a range 6" for quite a while before deciding on a 4". I use the 617 whenever I bring a newbie to the range. The 4" bbl is a lot less muzzle heavy for girls and kids.

I probably have 3000 rounds through the gun now and doubt if I'll ever let it go.

Yo:p

Earlier Model 17s are nice too. Dash three or earlier doesn't have full length lug, hence 6" isn't muzzle heavy like the later full lugged ones.

Sam

Suggest a look at the Dan Wesson Model 22 or 722 if you prefer stainless. Built like a tank on the same frame as their .357 mag. Full range of barrel lengths from 2 to 10 inches easily changed. Accuracy of Dan Wesson revolvers is legendary. If you can find a used one it's usually priced lower than the S&W, Colt or Ruger.
Take Care

I love my 6-shot Model 17 with a 6" full underlug. Thought hard about the 617 but found a mint used Model 17 with beautiful wood grips. Bought it for like $395 without tax.

Go with a 6-shot since it approximates your other revolvers. When you pop off 6-rounds you can just pop opne the crane on instiinct without having to turn the cylinder to hear a click with not bang afterwards.

The Model 17 has a good balance. Accurate at many distances due to the sight radius. And I love the blued finish. Great trainer for when I shoot my N-frames.

Thumbs up to S&W Model 17

I've had a Model 17 with an 8 3/8" barrel for the past 15 years. I don't know how many thousands of rounds I've put through it, but do know it shoots just as accurately now, as it did when it was brand new. Mine has the TTT options - Target Trigger, Target Hammer, and Target Stocks.

I'll have mine forever - until my heirs get it that is !

I'd buy a Ruger or pre agreement S&W. Dan Wessons have a good reputation but I never see them, so have no experience there.

It seems wherever there is talk of Rossis and Tauri that there are unhappy customers mixed with the satisfied.

Ditto Ala Dan. I have a S&W 18 and would not part with it for anything. In fact, if i find another used one cheap enough i plan to pick up a spare one day.

You don't say if you definitely want a DA, but if its not a requirement take a look at the Ruger Single Six. Its a lot of fun to shoot. I can only speak for mine, but it has an excellent trigger and is more accurate than me (of course most handguns are more accurate than me). You can also get it with a .22 magnum cylinder which gives you added flexibility.

Anyone have experience with the S&W kit gun? I need a .22 revolver with a smaller frame -- K-frame is just too big for many of my woman students' hands.

M1911

S&W Kit Gun

I had a stainless Kit Gun (Model 63 I think) in the early 80's. Actually I wish I kept that neat little gun. The grip frame was rather small - and I have hands on the small side. If you are looking for a .22 that will fit small hands, this one definately will.

Good Luck !

M1911 - I have a S&W M317-1 Kit Gun, 3" bbl. It fits my hand perfectly and feels very good with an Uncle Mike's Combat Grip. Perfect DA. It's awful cute to look at too. (I can say that since I am a woman).

I also own a Taurus .22LR, M970 with a 6.5" bbl. This gun is a dream to shoot, way too much fun. Sighted perfect right out of the box. My hand is almost not big enough to shoot it DA, I do have to grip it a little funny, twist my wrist to make my index finger a little longer, but perfect for single action. It's considered a 'K' frame.

I recommend either or both -- I love my guns...

I have an S&W kit gun model 317-1. Alloy J frame, 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights. Shoots great and I'm as accurate with it in single action mode as my Ruger 22/45. The Ruger single six is also a nice choice.

If you do consider the 617 S&W, Make sure you get one that doesn't have the aluminum cylinder. I have heard they will wear out and cause all kinds of problems. I think they only used them on their ealier models and then switched to all steel or stainless. I have one that is all stainless and I have put a large quanity of all types of rimfire thru it without a hitch. Smooth as "Butta"!;)

Holy Grail--617 6" no underlug

When I was looking for a .22 Revolver, what I really wanted was a stainless 6" bbl WITHOUT the full underlug S&W ships today. I called the factory and SW confirmed they did make a few in this configuration. I've only seen one advertised, that was a couple of years ago in Gun List, and unfortunately it was sold by the time I called. I settled on a 617 10shot with a 4" bbl. The full 6" underlug is very nose heavy. If I find a nice blued model 17 in 6" someday I might pick that up also, but the holy grail is the stainless 6" non underlug bbl.

Yo

S&W Model 17.I agree entirely with jtduncan.All I would add is a Millet rear sight and machine the trigger to "combat"specs.
Grips are a matter of taste.IMHO the full underlug is preferable because all my other S&W's are full and for practice it's handy if they all point and weigh about the same.

Model 18.........

I love my Smith & Weson model 18-2. It has a 4 inch barrel, 6 shot, target hammer, target trigger, blued with adjustable sights. It is extremely accurate and is one of the first guns my students get to shoot during the basic pistol class. It's just perfect!:D

Back