Need accurate .308

You may also want to look at the Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .308. Two weekends ago I broke in the barrel (20 rounds, cleaning with copper solvent after each round) then zeroed my scope. I only had a little time to test out the rifle, but it shot just over an inch using Rem CoreLokt 150 grain from a bench. My skills were rusty (I live in the People's Republic of IL and cannot get out to shoot much), the rifle only had 30 rounds through it and I tried the rifle with only one type of ammo. I am confident that after determining what ammo the rifle likes and practicing more, the S2 will turn in sub inch groups.

Heres a vote for another "straight out of the box accurate rifle"; the Remington 700 5R/.308. Ignore the story line that comes with it (marketing).
The only thing I don't like about the rifle is that it isn't black. Other than that its a shooter/keeper.

Everyone on here has made good points but i've got a suggestion if you can find one, Remington 788. Some people have horror stories about this model but many people have comparison complants about other models as well. I wanted one for the longest time because I grew up with a 788 .243win. And it was a proven performer that even to this day I'll grab it out the safe and climb in the stand with it. My current setup is the 788 .308 with a Timney trigger, Redfield Revenge 3-9x52, loaded with Remington Reduced Recoil .125gr. I personally like the lighter built because I don't have a lot of cross-winds, or thick skinned animals. Now, when my dies come in, I'm looking into running something lighter. (Sierra Pro-Hunter 115gr).

Also how about saving a little bit more and buying a T/C Encore? They are initally expensive but the versatility is really nice.

A guy at my range regularily brags about his Tikka and its accuracy. For the price they seem like a good deal. Howa makes a nice rifle for a nice price as well.

In my experience, 308's that don't shoot well are the exception rather than the rule. I've seen plenty that shot MOA with factory ammo right out of the box, or even out of the pawn shop.

As said look for one that fits you, has the features that you want, hopefully already with a scope mounting system, and if used, check it carefully for issues. Also it it is a rifle that will be carried and hunted with a lot, pay attentiion to whether or not it is comfortable to carry. I'm probably not the only one who has fell outa love with a rifle after packing it for a few miles. jd

My vote goes to the Venture as well. With mine in 243 I had no problem getting it down to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yds with handloads.Trigger is also
very good, almost as good as my T3.:D

SAVAGE 110

That would mean he would have to get an older, used .308 Win. The model 110 has been Savage's designation for their long action series for almost 15 years. If he wants a new Savage in that style he needs to be looking for a Savage Model 10.

Sent from my HTC One X

I own two Winchester Model 100's both .308 caliber. I bought them used both for less than $600 each. One is the 'rifle' the other the shorter Carbine version. I can honestly say that they both perform very well. While I tend to shoot at shorter ranges than what you are asking, I did nail my one and only Elk kill at 330 yards with the rifle a few years ago.

Here are my two Model 100's. Quite satisfactory and within your budget range.
11278.jpg

11767.jpg

Look at the Weatherby Vanguard S2. The factory guarantees one MOA and in many reviews people beat that by a long shot. The rifle is heavy compared to many competitors, but that may be a good thing if you are shooting from a stand or bench and not walking much. It has a great trigger, but it is two-stage, and that is not to everyone's liking.

Savage 10 Precision Carbine .308

I'm using mine dual purpose (bought it used with under 500 rounds). Finally headspaced it (Hornady OAL gauge & comparator) and after testing the Barnes LRX 175 (at different Ogives OALs), this rifle is shooting better than .75MOA of a bipod. Remember 20" barrel too.

LRX175BestGroup_zps19a4f0d8.jpg

Considering this rifle was only in the $500 range used, not too bad. Same for the Rem700 SPS Tactical. It's a heavier barrel but my best group was .3MOA, which is incredible for a another used $500 rifle. Even if it shot .5MOA, that's still $3-4000 custom rifle grouping. Of course, it needs to be handloaded.

Last edited:
Back