Need a self defense 12gauge that is reliable and dependable.

Rem 870 with one rifle sites/smoothbore barrel and one 26" or 28" barrel. Short barrel with buckshot for HD and bird barrel for "fun"

Used market can get you some EXCELLENT deals. Here is a used 1975 vintage Ithaca 37 for a bit over 200 bucks.

1975ithica_zps3c97b6d8.jpg

I'm just a novice, but I've owned a couple of Mossberg 500', and a Maverick 88. Good shotguns that would meet your criteria, IMO. I do think the 6 shot models are a little more handy than the 8 shot models.

Mossberg 500 Set

Mossberg has this 5+1 set which is pretty universally versatile for HD and most hunting/sport shotgunning. And they're underpriced IMO...

Attachments

• Mossberg 500 Field-Security Combo.jpg
    Mossberg 500 Field-Security Combo.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 19
My old Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 18 1/2 " slug barrel has an action that is silk smooth and it can pump out 5 shots of buckshot faster than you would think possible. Some people say a good pump shotgun in the right hands is as fast as a semi-auto shot gun. I am not sure about that but I do know that 5 blasts of 12 gauge 00 BUCKSHOT IN 3 OR 4 SECONDS is pretty impressive and at close range will stop about anyone or anything most of us will ever encounter. My vote is for a Rem 870 with slug barrel.

Back