Need a scope for my Henry .327

turn of the century

I wish you the best in your pursuit of deer with the .327 Fed. Your comparison to the old 32-20 is interesting and I had not considered that. How popular or to what degree the 32-20 was used on deer at the turn of the century, versus the larger and more capable same class 38-40 and 44-40 is debatable. It likely was a case of "using the tools availabe" business again.

My train of thought was that the ..327 was akin to the the .30 US carbine round, bullet dia excluded of course. Certainly all of those cartridges are capable of taking deer, and of course have. I do not automatically consider any of them deer rounds, (.44 excluded I suppose) but it certainly has been done and it seems you are about to proceed accordingly yourself.

Shoot well, and be careful your high magnification scope does not entice you into shooting farther than the cartridge is capable of making clean kills. Personally, I'd limit my shots to under 100 yds and ideal broadside angles.

Best of luck!

.327 in a rifle is very close to .30 Carbine, much faster than .32-20, even the WHV stuff.
None of which would be my first choice for deer hunting. Ought to take care of a coyote or maybe a hog, though.

.327 in a rifle is very close to .30 Carbine, much faster than .32-20, even the WHV stuff.
None of which would be my first choice for deer hunting. Ought to take care of a coyote or maybe a hog, though.
My interest in .327's deer potential isn't in it being a "first choice" but more of a "only choice" that I'd have with me when out looking for small game and come across a deer instead.

Someone asked for pictures of scope clearance, so here they are. There's about a 1/4" clearance from the barrel to the front lens, over 1/4" from the hammer to the scope tube ( I intend to pull the scope back some), but the tighest spot is the rear sight, which to the tube is maybe 3/16".

Since Henry makes the scope rail base so high, it works, but the base raises the scope up too much for my liking, even using medium height rings. If Henry offered a lower base option, that'd be great, but then the clearance issue with the rear sight would occur and the only way to fix it is to remove the rear sight completely, which is a time consuming process that would be a lot easier if Henry just made the rear sight foldable.

So, IMO, Henry really needs to understand that people will put scopes on these rifles, they're plenty accurate enough to make it worth scoping, and they should try to assist us in making that process as easy and enjoyable as possible. As it stands now, I'm having no fun without a proper cheek rest shooting with this scope.

Pics:

94_3745675d60b30cb7ed674f4e462f65c9_t.jpg

94_ec2e3f110fe52bf12a53f1e6df2915c8_t.jpg

94_8bed275232b0d6a538b9f82e887b9050_t.jpg

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll leave my Henrys not scoped.
It's not impossible to get a comfortable shooting position with a scope on the Henry, with a smaller, lower power scope and a shorter height base, it would be great. It's overkill to some extent, but we could bring these PROPRIETARY bases to a machine shop and have them mill an 1/8" or so off the bottom to lower the bases.

Of course it would just be easier if Henry offered lower bases.

Back