Need a Remington Rolling Block expert

Doc Hoy
Along with Mike Venturino's book,which I highly recommend,there is another guy who,it seems,pretty much dedicated the latter part of his life to learning everything there is to know about shooting and reloading black powder 45-70 in a rolling block....And writing books about it. He wrote several.

His name is Paul Matthews. Check him out.

Came home with a new toy

When a person can hit two gun shows in one day, that person has to think...."I must be living right."

Went to the show in Port Charlotte and it was a bust.

Came home from the Gun show in Englewood, FL with an 1873 Remington Rolling block in .32. Photos after supper.

I will be peppering you with questions on that rifle.

Tnx,

It is marked .32 on the bottom land of the barrel

It is a model 2. Center fire.

Serial number is 979X.

Photos soon. I promise.

Rifle is in relatively good shape cosmetically and operationally. Has a nice patina but little original finish.

Butt stock was repaired in two places. Good quality repair and no damage that compromises strength of the stock.

Octagon barrel is 26 inches in length.

Most of the screw heads show signs of hogging with the wrong size or shape screw driver.

Bore is okay but needs cleaning.

Rifle is complete with no missing or broken parts.

Photos

Here are the photos I promised

Attachments

• RRB 10.jpg
    RRB 10.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 151
  • RRB 9.jpg
    RRB 9.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 144
  • RRB 8.jpg
    RRB 8.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 132
RRB photos

Still more photos

Attachments

• RRB 4.jpg
    RRB 4.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 49
  • RRB 3.jpg
    RRB 3.jpg
    381.3 KB · Views: 46
  • RRB 2 .jpg
    RRB 2 .jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 45
Very nice!

A friend has a similar one.I know its fun to shoot offhand at 100 yds. But its been several years

I have no idea what the original chambering was. His is centerfire,but its possible he converted it from rimfire.

I believe his is a 32-20.

IMO,(recognizing it is YOUR gun) I'd rub a little stock oil on it and enjoy it with the honest patina.

As the seller did not know the caliber of the rifle apart from his reading of he number on the bottom barrel flat, I am working to find the Ammunition I would need. I slugged the bore of this rifle at .309 - 9 land and .312 - 3 groove.

The extractor would engage a rim not less than about .410 but extreme would be about .450. (Bar type extractor in this rifle.) The rifling begins at 1.40.

I noted a shoulder in the chamber at roughly .8 inches at which the chamber drops from .355 - .360 down to .340 - .345

The bore and chamber appear to be original not well cared for.

I am thinking this is a 32 - 20 Winchester.

Any thoughts?

To HiBC

Yes. Agree.

I went to town on the Stevens Favorite that I mentioned in a different post, because the rifle was rode hard and put up wet. I am happy to have that one looking a little better.

But the appearance of this Remington is very satisfactory as it is.

Serial number on this rifle...

...Seems to put it in the 1895 - 1896 time frame. Seller said it was made in 1873 but I think he was interpreting the bottom date on the list of patents as the date of manufacture.

I have had the rifle apart and the internals are in great shape.

Got my hulls in

Ordered a hundred Starline .32-20 cases from Dillon Precision. 25.00 plus about ten bucks shipping. They fit perfectly.

Just went to eBay and got a great deal on .32-20 reloading dies from Lee. 48.00 delivered for a three die set plus factory crimp die, case holder, and fifty new brass hulls.

Back