Need a recommendation for good SD factory 9mm ammo for a CZ P-01

Any recommendations for a good factory SD ammo for my CZ P-01?

I am thinking a P+ round with a bullet over 115gr... Although I have heard good things about solid copper Underwood ammo though wondering if it would cycle in a stock CZ P-01.:eek:
Your thoughts?:confused:

All of the major manufacturers make good SD ammo. Speer Gold Dots, Hornady Critical Defense, Remington Golden Sabers, etc. No one knows which will run well in your gun as every pistol is an entity in it's self. You'll just have to try some and see how it goes. I've had good service from Gold Dots but that doesn't mean they'll work in your individual gun.

My go to would be federal hst, speer gold dot, or undeewood woth lehigh extreme penetrators.

Check our tnoutdoors9 on youtube. He has tested a number of the above listed rounds in several weights in standatd and +p versions .

124 grain Federal HST's are what I trust my life to.
Good penetration, reliable expansion, and as far as I've heard, P-01's aren't particularly ammo picky.
I'd say stay away from the boutique stuff and stick with good, tested, reliable ammo.
Federal, Hornady, and Speer immediately come to mind.

Last edited:
Bennett Richards Any recommendations for a good factory SD ammo for my CZ P-01?
Self defense ammo doesn't know what pistol its being fired from.

I am thinking a P+ round with a bullet over 115gr...
The easiest answer is carry what the cops carry. The FBI has done exhaustive testing and the results ain't a secret.

Although I have heard good things about solid copper Underwood ammo though wondering if it would cycle in a stock CZ P-01.
Your thoughts?
Gimmick.

For self defense purposes, only you can decide if the additional recoil of +P is really necessary.
Some people prefer the extra power, I personally never saw a need for it. If I wanted more, I'd shoot a .40 or .357Sig.

For self defense purposes, only you can decide if the additional recoil of +P is really necessary.
Some people prefer the extra power, I personally never saw a need for it. If I wanted more, I'd shoot a .40 or .357Sig.
All +p in a 9mm is doing is bringing the pressure up to a normal pressure level for modern pistols. It does give a smidge bit more recoil, but still mild compared to 10 or 45.

There are lots of good choices for SD ammo out there. I like Remington Golden Sabers (the police around here carry them), but I'm not shy about using Speer Gold Dots, or just about anything in 124 grain, usually +P, from a reputable manufacturer. Speer, Hornady, Remington, etc.

Any good self defense loads should work. There aren't any specific to your firearm that would differ from any other

If I weren't cheap and lazy, I would go with HST.
But I am, so I will just stay with my 9BP so I don't have to buy a lot of ammo to get confident with a new load.

Back