Need a new project.

kilotanker22

I am Bored as hell lately, not working and running out of things to play with.

I am pretty sure I want to buy another rifle.

If I buy a bolt gun, it has to have a vertical grip and adjustable comb as well as threaded.

If I buy a semi auto, it's most likely gonna be a Savage MSR Recon in .224 Valkyrie or a Ruger MPR.

Caliber isn't really important. Budget is around $2000 for rifle and for the optic total. Been thinking heavily into a Leupold Mark 5hd 3.6-18, but it is a little out of my price range.

Give me some ideas, please. I want something that I can shoot a whole bunch before replacing the barrel. Maybe 6mm BR, .223, 224 Valkyrie, .308 etc. I am burning out a creedmoor battle in about 4-5 months right now. So after this next gun it will be time to rebarrel my Savage Tactical rifle.

Just looking for ideas, no particular philosophy of use intended.

A friend of mine just bought the CZ MTR in 223 it's a beautiful looking rifle and it's a tack driver . 308 will probably give you a better barrel life . That CZ is a sweet piece.

I ended up recently buying a Ruger American Ranch rifle in 5.56. a Boyd's AT One stock. I am gonna order the bottom metal to convert it to AICS mags from boyd's.

Really I was surprised at how much I liked this rifle. It is short, light and handy. Pretty cheap too all things considered

You gonna put a different barrel on or keeping it 5.56? You built up a lot of suspense on which way you were headed. ;) Slapping just a stock on it is not going to satisfy the "project urge.":D

Well it truly depends on how far or your willingness for oddball projects is.
My list of upcoming fun projects to help give an idea:

1. Bolt action 300 BLK. Reasons: cheap to reload for, good for short range hunting and looooong barrel life.

2. Bolt action 7.62x 39. All the same reasons as above.

Another option is a bolt Grendel. It can stretch out to 600-800 yds and currently is one of my favorite guns to shoot/play with. So if your heart is set on that scope it could utilize it very respectfully. Barrel life is supposed to be amazing as well.

I second the bolt action .300blk. Plus you can make some crazy rounds for it. One of my favorites is a 86gr XTP with a case full of trailboss. Super accurate to 50yds and will rip apart a armadillo lol.

Kinda like going from a Ferrari to a Chevette, isn't it Stag? :eek:

Since you reload, Kilo i say go with an oddball or obsolete.
6.5mm Rem Mag, or you could beat out Stag in the velocity catagory with a 6.5-300 Weatherby.

Weatherby did just come out with another 6.5mm, but haven't heard too much about it.

Oh, i got it!
Since your a fan of the 6.5mm....
6.5GT.
Based off the fairly new 6GT from GA Precision.
Case length is between 6BRA &6X47 Lapua.
Designed for PRS shooters to feed from a magazine better than the 6BRA.
Just neck up 6GT brass (available from GA Precision & Alpha at not a bad price)

Last edited:
Stag in the velocity catagory with a 6.5-300 Weatherby.
LOL--I thought long and hard about that one, but the 300 remains a DRT game dropper whereas the 6.5 going warp speed might require a phd to figure out the right bullet for the right range.;):D Like a 7mm RUM. ;)

I save my cutting edge bullets for special occasions--like when I want to feel like a competitive shooter even though my groups will still suck. :D:D

I haven't shot them yet. :(
Even though they aree about 30 miles from me, as much as i shoot, not economically feasable.

I plan to rebarrel it Stag. Probably go with a .224 Valkyrie barrel and have the bolt face opened up.

Today I epoxy bedded the recoil lugs and action into that Boyd's stock. I also upened up the barrel channel. Even with the stock sporter barrel it was not free floated in that Boyd's stock. I used a 1 inch wooden dowel and sand paper to open the entire barrel channel up.

I may not go with .224 Valkyrie have not decided for sure yet. I really don't want to send the bolt out to be opened up and wait for it to come back. I am gonna do a little research and figure out what cartridge I like best that uses that bolt face. I may just end up ordering a 223 AI barrel, or going with .300 Blackout.

I have also considered just rebar4eling this with a 20" bull barrel in 223 and using the Ruger short action AICS magazine as that mag allows the bullets to be seated out to 2.50". And try to work up a load with 8208xbr and the 75 grain ELD bullet.

If I do that then my attention will be turned to building an AR platform rifle and a .308 Win bolt rifle.

As much as I want a .224 Valkyrie it might have to wait until components such as brass are more available. Unless I find someone to open that bolt face and have it back to be in a short period of time.

Why not just buy that ptg bolt head that works with 6.8 spc (which is what the 224 v uses)? starline valk brass isn't all that expensive though maybe not the "finest quality" still it works for me. Otherwise maybe a 6mm cartridge might be a way to go.

The Ruger American has a solid one piece bolt.
I know--I have a couple of them they are very well designed. I like their V-bed lugs too, but IMO the Axis 2 stock--for a Tupperware stock--is superior.

Wait--I spaced--I see what you're saying. I thought you were getting a savage at first but got the American instead--Understood. I lose track easy. sorry bout that.:o

Last edited:
Haha, all good.

Now I just have to find a load for for this rifle while I decide what to do with it. I have 500 rounds of some Norma Tactical ammunition I bought so I could have fire formed brass. I also have some Varget already on hand and some Sierra 65 grain SBT on the way.

Hahaha, this turned out to be more of a project than I thought. Converting this to accept AI magazines and get it functioning smoothly, required a lot more hand fitting than I expected. It has come together nicely though

Back