Necked down 9mm rifle cartridge

But something like a 130 grain (8.5 gram) 9.3mm bullet at 1040 fps from a locked breech would be an entirely different proposition from a blowback Makarov.

But I've been a fan of the 9.8mm Colt ever since I first read about it.

And it would require a firearm capable of handling the pressures levels associated with 40 S&W or 10mm Auto. So you would get a marginal terminal performance upgrade from 9x19, and marginally less performance than 40 S&W.

So I think it that is a non-starter considering that a 125gr pill in 9x19 can make it to the 1040fps level, and 165gr 40 S&W loads reach 1040 fps. Too much overlap to justify a 9.3mm bullet that does the same thing, at least that would be my excuse if I were trying to bring a new cartridge to bear on the market.

Jimro

You miss the chronological point.

If DWM had made the case perfectly straight instead of tapered in 1902, it would have come out about 9.3mm. There never would have been a 9x19.

I was guessing on ballistics, but since the original ribbon spring Luger could handle a 9mm 124 at 1090, I thought it reasonable to run a 9.3mm 130 at the low end of 9mm velocity.

Back