neck turn or FL bushing size

Yeah I have a Harbor freight padded angle vice and a tube mic from ebay, works well. Took me a bit to calibrate the sleeve/thimble, it's right on now.

I'm gonna ask a friend to machine a FL die to make it a body die. If not I'll go with a Redding. Redding isn't that bad in price, guess I could just go with it.

Thanks for all the help ! Much appreciated :)

Last edited:
I’m not sure I understand....what is your goal?

Neck turning eliminates neck thickness variation.

Bushings allow neck OD to be adjusted with a small loss in concentricity.

Expanders/ expander balls expand the neck to a diameter before bullet seating.

None are a magic pill. Getting rid of the expander ball is not a magic pill.

To me it is about defining what you want like a certain bullet pull, Concentricity, etc and then adjusting your process to get it.

For decades, the most accurate reloaded bottleneck cartridges have been full length resized in dies without expander balls. The die necks are honed out to a thousandth or so less than the loaded round's neck diameter.

Last edited:
BartB

After partial full length sizing, does the bolt close easily when chambering the round?

I asked because partial full length sizing typically moves the case shoulder forward a thousandth or more. Evidenced by any resistance to the bolt closing. It's detrimental to accuracy

For decades, the most accurate reloaded bottleneck cartridges have been full length resized in dies without expander balls

Back