Nebraska requires permit to BUY a handgun?

I know I watch whats going on in Omaha lately. Living in the rural parts of NE you are kind of isolated from the "big" city, but you hear about things there that are different than elsewhere in the state. I know buying a handgun, possibly even any firearm, requires a trip down to City Hall I think to more or less register the thing. Thats even if your from out of town. I say I think because its never been worth my time to buy one there, since I can go to Lincoln and don't have that hassle.

Also, the application is different for every county. My friends from a much more urban county had 4 or 5 pages compared to my one. They also were required to list three full references of people not related to them. I was not.

The NC one is a pain. Its a few pages long in Iredell County and for the love of God, I am glad not to have to go through the process people in Mecklenburg County have to go through to get approved. There is no standards set up in NC law hardly at all of what qualifies for a permit to buy a handgun, or even to give ownership to another such as a family member.

I live half an hour from Iowa and 5 minutes from Nebraska, and it's amazing how different those states are from South Dakota. You need a permit to purchase a pistol in both Iowa and Nebraska. I believe it's easy to get, and costs $5 and is valid for a year. I don't believe sheriff's have discretion in either state, if you pass the background check you get your permit.

In contrast, there is no permit to purchase in South Dakota, and a concealed carry license costs $10 for 4 years, with no training requirement, and gets you out of the waiting period for handguns.

A Nebraska CCW requires training and costs at least $100 on top of that, IIRC. It's nearly impossible to get a CCW in Iowa, but I think they're only $10 if you can get one. Nebraska is slowly getting better, but Iowa doesn't seem to be changing their gun laws for the better any time soon.

Massachusetts also requires gun owners to be licensed to own and buy firearms. All licenseing is through the local CLEO. There are different types of licenses depending on the firearm. Non high capacity long arms need a basic FID. FIDs are "Shall Issue". For high capacity long arms, and handguns one needs a LTC B or LTC A. LTCs are "May issue" and in some urban areas impossible to get. License to Carry permits only allow on to CCW when they are issued unrestricted. Most of the cities in Mass do not issue unrestricted LTCs. There is also a machine gun license license for full auto weapons. You also need to show your FID or LTC when buying ammo. Non residents can not buy ammo or guns in the state without a Mass firearm license.

iowa sucks for purchase permit with 1 year validity same for ccw.
for ccw its sheriffs discretion but purchase believe if background check is good issue is certain. fee varies per county as does qualification ie testing written and shooting. 99 different counties. some are as good as shall issue others are outright impossible. we got Iowacarry.org working on it but they suck. they had the gall to say new bill is going to be shall issue carry but sheriffs still have discretion which is bs or they miscommunicated.

Hey VITO ,what do you think a FOID card is ? Do you think this is not a permit? By the way you are being checked out twice ,they also do the NICS check on everyone ,its a Clinton federal thing .Missouri used to have handgun permits to but was dropped. Why do a permit check and a fed check?

Back