NC Mountain Hike Carry

DealHunter

We're heading up to the NC Appalachians this weekend for some hiking and I figured I'd bring something along (always carry if you can...). Most of my hiking so far has always been down by the shore or in the local woods in central NC.

Given the area, any advice on what might be best (caliber wise)?

I'm trying not to bring anything too heavy/large so that discounted any duty sized guns. Also discounted snub .44s and .454s or a 1911 10mm (seems a little too much weight/caliber for the area) and the .380s since they're a little light on power for a hiking gun.

Options so far are as follows:

.357 (Sp101, LCR, M&P 360)
.45 (XDs-45/Officer 1911)
9mm (PM9, P938, Shield/9c, R9s)
.40 (EMP, PPS)
.357 Sig (P239)

I have snub .44s and .454s or a 1911 10mm but that seems a little too much weight/caliber for the area. I've also discounted the .380s since they're a little light on power for a hiking gun.

Thoughts?

The animals you might encounter in western NC won't differ from the one's you find in central NC or for that matter eastern NC. I would probably opt for the SP-101 in .357............or a can of bear spray and a Smith .22 mag revolver.;)

I'd go with the 1911 officer. 7+1 capacity and an extra 7 round mag is light.

Why shoot a .45 acp? Because having to shoot twice is just silly.:D

I was on a fly fishing trip last Sept in NC smokies I thing a revolver with a couple of snake rounds might be appropriate. While fishing we saw a snake maybe a copper head. The guide said he has been bitten but he is not allowed to carry. Just a thought I would be more afraid of snakes than anything else they might be out sunning themselves.

I'd go with the 1911 officer. 7+1 capacity and an extra 7 round mag is light.
I like the 1911, the only thing is I get close to the same capacity w. the XD-s and a lot less weight (the 1911 is easier to shoot well though, even with the Scandium frame).

a can of bear spray
I always have pepper spray on me (not bear spray but could get the job done?).

couple of snake rounds might be appropriate
True, and I have some .38 spc shotshells. I've tried them at the range as a novelty but I don't really know how effective they are on snakes (has anyone ever had to use one?). Also usually have a walking stick.

Now all I need is some decent weather :)

I grew up here in the mountains of NC. A .357 is plenty of pistol for the area. I will be honest I carry a 9mm or .45 everywhere around here. I don't fear danger from the wildlife as much as the meth cookers..lol. This time of year, most predators in this area aren't stirring as much if at all.

I would take your 9mm Shield and be comfortable. It will get the job done and will be tough enough if it gets wet and certainly will be reliable. I live in the mountains and carry a 9mm alot in the woods. Take a magazine of 124 +p and a magazine of FMJ. A 9mm FMJ penetrates good enough in a handgun round. I seriously doubt a black bear will be your main concern but a head shot with a 9mm fmj will put it down. I trust wild animals alot more than a human in the woods. Watch out for those pot farmers.;)

I seriously doubt a black bear will be your main concern but a head shot with a 9mm fmj will put it down

It's not advisable to take a head shot on bear, the shape of their skull can easily deflect the round.

Personally out of what you listed I would take your snub .44, but if your really set against it then either the .357 or .45 with some hard casts. My hiking/camping gun is a 12g loaded up with slugs though, much more suitable for bear than even the .44.

Seriously, the best trail/hiking gun I've found to date is the 4.2 inch SP101. It's lightweight and gives you all the benefits of the .357 from a four inch barrel. Stock sights on it are pretty good, too.

I always have it with me when I hike or hog hunt. The biggest hogs I have to contend with are 250 pounds on the high end, though. Ya'll got some pretty chunky pigs out there at 400 pounds. I'd throw in a good hunting round and go. I like the 158 grain semi-jacketed lead hollowpoint for around MS, but in your neck of the woods I might grab something with a little more penetration, maybe the same bullet but in one of the ~1600 fps loads from Buffalo Bore or Doubletap. My instincts tell me I could drop a 350 pound pig with my load, but it might be a little extra peace of mind having a bit more penetration.

Last edited:
The .357 will take care of most of what you would run into in these mountains. This time of year feral dogs/coyotes, wild hogs, some bears waking up getting out but most are at lower elevations. The most dangerous are 2 legged varmints that are up to no good. Stay on marked trails and stay alert to what is around you and enjoy the mountains. I carry a 1911a1 in 45 99% of the time with 3 spare mags. weight is concern of what you trust best vs. what your willing to carry.

I use to live at Linville in the shadow of Grandfather mountain some decades back, I guess there are snakes but never saw one that I remember, and I use to spend a lot of time fishing the waters in the area. I once saw a bobcat, very surprised, both of us I mean. My uncle use to hunt black bears decades before I left the area. He even had an old moth eaten rug hanging on his wall. From what I remember before I left, the most danger you face are errant golf balls

I'd take a revolver because that's what I carry, but the one you like to carry would work too.

The only thing dangerous in the Appalachians are the bipedal predadors. Pack accordingly.

Back in the old days, if you came across a moonshiner, most likely he would invite you in for a drink, 'cause he was probably a relative.

When you later came across a marijuana field, you were probably warned away with a chambering shotgun.

Meth cookers are likely to do anything.

(lived and streeted loans in eastern KY for years, now living in the foothills in Ohio)

Salvador and Sparemag are both correct. The "meth cookers" are using places that hiking are usually the only means of getting to. Man is still the most dangerous predator here. Be safe and have fun..

Back