NC is getting pretty lax on what types of guns you can use for hunting.

My state went to "any center fire caliber" handgun was legal for deer hunting mostly as I understand it to allow people with carry permits to be able to carry their regular carries in the woods. It used to be 357 mag or larger.

Frankenmauser, the 6x45 is a round that has been on my mind. I even made a round by neck in up a .223 to 6mm and putting a bullet in it just so I can look at it. Have you shot it or still building it.
I have one finished 6x45mm AR upper that is intended for varmints and Antelope. I like it quite a bit. It is, however, quite heavy, due to the parts that I chose to use. It weighs in at over 13 lbs. :eek:

There's another one in the works, more along the lines of a "light weight" build for more comfort while hiking. The end goal is to be as far below 6 lbs as possible. I just need to order the barrel (pencil thin, 16"), gas block, and sights (or optic). Everything else is ready and waiting to be assembled.

Both 6x45s are currently slated to get fed just three (handloaded) bullets that I've been stockpiling:
62 gr Barnes Varmint Grenade
85 gr Nosler Partition
87 gr Hornady SP (varmint version)

Anything heavier is really only doable in a bolt action or single-shot, due to COAL restrictions. (Even some 70-80 gr bullets are too long.)

Well its neat to hear other states are changing their laws also. Didn't realize it was a nation wide type of thing. Honestly I doubt anyone in their right mind would go hunting deer with a .25 ACP, but its nice to have a everyday 9mm or ,45 ACP if you had to dispatch an animal.

I live in NC and love the fact I can bring my AR (308) hunting. I don't load the full 20/25 rounds but it doesn't hurt to have 10 rounds or more in case you get some coyotes in your sights.

I know lots of people that bring hi cap semis into the woods, but none of them are trying to do burst shots on deer or anything like that. In fact, with freedoms like this comes more ethical choices.

If we're hunting at less than 50-60yds, it's a 12ga slug or muzzle loader. If it's around 100yds I love to take my Garand. 150-250? Probably the 308 AR. Beyond that? 300 Weatherby.

If I was limited to 5 rounds or less I would never have set up an AR to go hunting with, but it's MORE ACCURATE than my Remington 700 in the same caliber. Why wouldn't I use it?

Don't get your hopes up on moving here, though. We have crazy high taxes and we've voted Democrat the past few times.

Well its neat to hear other states are changing their laws also. Didn't realize it was a nation wide type of thing. Honestly I doubt anyone in their right mind would go hunting deer with a .25 ACP, but its nice to have a everyday 9mm or ,45 ACP if you had to dispatch an animal.

One obviously needs to apply some common sense when making choices. But if you carry a 25ACP pistol routinely, having it with you in the woods seems normal and should be legal. But shooting a deer with it..... that is not good sense.

PA still has the no semi-auto rifles or handguns for hunting prohibition except semi-auto shotguns for small game. You see a lot of revolvers there if people use them to hunt with or to just carry in addition to a rifle.

My Dad always felt that the no semi-auto rule was a good one, but on the other hand, he packed one of the fastest shooting manual action rifles of the day, a Remington 760 in 30-06.

@mardanlin. I live here in NC.

We have a GOP Governor, and the GOP controls both state houses. Taxes aren't nearly as bad as other places, but it depends on where you live. Charlotte, Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Cary can be high. Other parts of the state are more manageable. Also we went GOP in the 2012 general election, and last year we voted the Democrat Hagan out of the senate. So its not to bad. I just recently started reviewing and educating myself more and more on hunting in NC. Planning a trip with some buddies in December.

Here in OrEgun we can hunt deer with any .22 center fire or larger and elk with any .243 center fire or larger.

I can't say it hasn't happened but I haven't heard of anyone hunting deer with a .22 Hornet. I'm sure a few like me have thought about it but not for long and when it came time to hunt chose the rifle or handgun that gave them the best chance to bring home game.

I believe that by far most hunters will opt for the gun that gives them the best chance to bring home game and I really doubt there will be a problem with this new law...

Tony

Back