Navy Seals and the G19 question

I’m ok knowing the Navy Seal AD/ND rate vs police vs civilian market....I’m also ok with a chart of the navy seal rate with g19 vs sig vs hi vs 1911.

I’m tired of reading misleading AD/ND info vs training opinion, mantra, tweets.

That’s all....I just figured that Glock would want that released to show that the Universal Safe Action LINK is superior to all others.;) They surely have data to back that marketing name...:confused:

I emailed Glock....
Can you provide some data to support the effectiveness of the Glock USA action vs competitors or some market average?

I’m thinking of some kind of 1-5yr number of negligent/accidental discharge rate (no. of ad/nd divided by units sold) for Glock vs competitor action types.

Do you have that data?

Last edited:
Any ND AD data would be inherently inaccurate. Unless it results in a wound or death it’s most likely not going to be reported anywhere to accumulate accurate data. I know if I had one and no one is hurt I sure heck am not going to report it or even talk about it with anyone, and I’m pretty sure the vast majority of people would be the same.

Nathan said:
That’s all....I just figured that Glock would want that released to show that the Universal Safe Action LINK is superior to all others. They surely have data to back that marketing name...
Did you read what's in the link? Which of the claims in the link would be backed up or refuted by the data set you have requested?

There are SEAL's, and there are SEAL's. The elite units can literally shoot anything they choose, even so far as having custom guns built to their specs. The other units have more restrictions.

If you get a chance read "No Easy Day". Written by one of the SEAL team members on the Bin Laden raid. When deployed each SEAL carried a shipping container full of any weapons or gear they might need while deployed. Before each mission they have a wide variety of "tools" in the toolbox to choose from.

I'd say they chose G19's for the same reason the G19 is the most produced gun ever made by Glock. That is what most people prefer outside the military and it makes sense that most SEALS would prefer it for all the same reasons.

It is likely there are more recorded ND/AD's with Glocks because they are so widely used in LE all over the country. Probably also safe to say the necessity of having to pull the trigger to field strip that gun has contributed to the eight ND's in our cop shop cleaning room (four different agencies) over the last ten years.

Early on, our maintenance dept got tired of patching up the holes in the walls and their now visible presence combined with station dividers reinforced with old armor plates has made the cleaning room a much safer place.

BTW, only one resulted in the need for the officer to buy a left hand glove with three fingers. The rest were very lucky and only needed a change of underwear.

I don't pick guns for any military units but I suspect there are reasons none of us and half of them will ever know. Likely, simple in function and very customizable entered into the equasion. Another might be Glock being buthurt over losing out to SIG for the general military contract also had something to do with the decision.

A G19 vs. P226? That is an easy one in my mind and it ain't made out of polymer.

Last edited:
As far as SEAL training, I’ve had lots of fun conversations with SEALs who’ve killed real people in real fights and, from my perspective, didn’t have the slightest idea about why they were given any particular weapon to do it. Even for SEALs, it’s mainly just a tool for a lot of them. It works or it doesn’t or you just learn to put up with the eccentricities because that’s what you’ve got.

There was a season of Top Shot where they had a Navy Seal on. While the rest of the contestants were shooters, he has a very different outlook. He wasn't a 'gun guy' and said so himself.

But, he was a top level shooter. He just didn't care about guns one way or the other, he just shot everything at a very high level.

You're embarrassing me folks. Stop freakin over what seals may or may not do, people.

They are over rated like the FBI, home sex, and apple pie! You want somebody to take care of business, you call in the United States Marine Corps.

They are reliable, fairly accurate, relatively cheap, VERY customizable, have essentially world-wide parts availability, and don't scream "US gov't." All of those are probably factors at some point.

Some SEAL teams get almost whatever they want. Some get the "expanded menu" but not unlimited choices.

1.) why they would go with the 19, not the 17?
2.) do they use a threaded barrel by default?

I’m not sure if anyone actually answered the OP’s questions, but there is a very good thread at m4carbine.net that covers this topic with input from a member of NSW:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?177390-NSW-goes-Glock

Per this member, the Glock 19 was adopted to replace both the P226 and compact P239 to also serve as a conceal carry sidearm in non-permissive environments (role previously served by P239).

The initial variant adopted was a bone-stock Gen3 Glock 19 with Glock factory night sights. The suppressed role was still filled with the HK45C.

Please note this information was from 2015. As of 2017, the Gen4 Glock 19 MOS and Gen4 Glock 26 MOS were adopted as well (or at least assigned NSN numbers):

http://nsn-now.com/1005016587261
http://nsn-now.com/1005016581930

Last edited:
For a number of years now, over a decade at least, the SEALS have used G19s. The same is true of other special forces groups. One reason for this is that the U.S. armed Iraqi troops and law enforcement with hundreds of thousands of Glocks in the years following the downfall of Saddam. You may recall that the U.S. disbanded both Saddam's military and their police and created new ones with deeply mixed results. U.S. soldiers and others, including SEALS were involved in the training of the replacements and so Glocks. They used them and carried a good many of them.

They also used the G19 on various missions. It's compact size close to that of their Sigs.

Adopting the G19 does not mean dissatisfaction with the Sig. It also doesn't mean that they don't have access to the Sig, if for some reason they want it, or some of them want it. Seals, more often than others, get what they want if needed for specific missions. Chris Kyle carried a Springfield 1911 in 45acp as his sidearm for most of his yours in Iraq. When that was damaged he went to a Sig P220 in 45.

tipoc

Last edited:
Welcome to the greatest show on earth. Sales and Marketing. And one thing Glock is great at is Marketing. Navy Seals use a product for EDC and now every game boy wants one. Navy Seal Beer, Navy seal cornflakes and any thing else you can throw out there to make a buck.
WOW DUDE! A Glock the Navy Seals carry!

I mean that's kind of a noticeable exaggeration since the marketing you made up don't for those other products doesn't exist, but sure.

It's a firearm that they happen to use. It doesn't make Glocks amazing and at the same time it shouldn't trigger people that don't like Glocks, but it sure seems to.

I mean that's kind of a noticeable exaggeration since the marketing you made up don't for those other products doesn't exist, but sure.

It's a firearm that they happen to use. It doesn't make Glocks amazing and at the same time it shouldn't trigger people that don't like Glocks, but it sure seems to.
It sure makes me wish I had held out a bit longer, so I could have sold it as the Navy Seals’ weapon of choice! I’m sure I would have gotten even more fit it.

I turned my G32 Gen 4 into a G19 G4 yesterday. Those two and the G23 are basically the same platform.

Shot 17 rounds and I liked it. Just like the 357 Sig and 40 S&W from the G32, the 9mm was accurate and not any problems.

Do not know if I will carry 9mm as I have other options and I like the 357 Sig a lot, but the 9 mm may be a future option. It shot very comfortably. I am going to put it through its paces (will use some +P and +p+ ammo) with as many 9mm rounds as I can muster in the current shortage environment.

I’ll be the first to admit it. I’d eat Navy SEAL cornflakes. Hell the prize at the bottom could be night sights or a box of ammo. :)

I turned my G32 Gen 4 into a G19 G4 yesterday. Those two and the G23 are basically the same platform.

Shot 17 rounds and I liked it. Just like the 357 Sig and 40 S&W from the G32, the 9mm was accurate and not any problems.

Do not know if I will carry 9mm as I have other options and I like the 357 Sig a lot, but the 9 mm may be a future option. It shot very comfortably. I am going to put it through its paces (will use some +P and +p+ ammo) with as many 9mm rounds as I can muster in the current shortage environment.
I had a 31 and ended up swapping the 357 barrel out for a 9mm LWD conversion barrel.

Shooting 357SIG was beating the gun to death, literally. Funny thing was, my 17, which had more +P+ 9mm through it than the 31 had 357SIG, showed only minor finsh wear on the gun, where the 31 kept heavily peening and beating itself to death. That was always a puzzle.

That 31 also made me understand that there really wasnt all that much difference between 357SIG and the hotter 9mm rounds, from a shooting nd performance standpoint, and I got out of it not long after getting the 31. Right around that time too, the price of 357SIG shot up dramatically, and that was another reason to let it go. Reloading for it wasnt all that economical either.

I had a number of SIG's in the caliber and they all seemed to hold up better and deal with the round better.

Shooting wise, I could never tell the difference between 357SIG and +P+ 9mm when shooting them. If I handed you my 17 loaded with +P+, and then my 31, other than the "bark", I seriously doubt you would know the difference.

Cool round, but 9mm is a lot cheaper, in a coupleof aspects, and just as effective.

As for G17 vs G19, I would say the there are several advantages for the “frog hog magnets” to use the the G19. For one, it would handier to suppress. Easier to conceal, and they do have missions where concealment matters. I would say it’s a touch more compact suppressed as well, which every little bit helps with a can on it. The G17 gives you a couple extra rounds for a fair amount of bulk. Plus G17 mags work in a G19, so your reloads can have those two extra rounds.

In short, they probably choose it for the same reasons many of us choose the G19. I think they would be better served with a CZ P01 or a shadow 2 honestly... but they aren’t doing bad with a G19

Back