Narrowed down the search for my CCW

Compromise

Inactive
Hubby and I went today to many many stores and gun shops, pawn shops, and even an indoor range that rents out many handguns for use in their range. I shot over 30 different ones (don't ask me to name them all) and held about 100 more. I was worried about the slide, how hard it would be for me to pull, and i narrowed out quiet a few due to that and the handle part being too thick for my hand to comfortably grip it.
I also checked to see if I could comfortably reach the safety.
I even tried out a couple of revolvers. Altho, I honestly wasn't too happy with the ones I tried out but that could have just been the specific ones I tried.

I wrote down a list of the ones I liked best out of all of them that I got to not only hold but also shoot.

Bersa Thunder .22
Bersa Thunder .380
Bersa Firestorm 9x19mm
Glock 26 Gen 4 9mm
Ruger LCR .38
Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm

were the ones that I found I felt most comfortable with. I know, they are all completely different in many ways. What my husband did, is he did not tell me WHICH one I was shooting until after I shot it and gave him my opinion on it. (which I was happy he didn't try to tell me what I HAD to get...)

Anyhow.. I REALLY liked all 3 Bersa and the Glock 26. My 2 favorites were the Thunder .380 and the Firestorm 9mm
I also had extremely awesome shots with them hitting betwen 1.5 inch to 3 inch below the center of the target every time. I impressed even myself!
The glock.. eh, I broke to the left a little and hit the shoulder of the target but I think with practice I could get a lot better with it.

So thank you all for your suggestions! I'm going to go shooting with the ones listed above a couple more times before I purchase just so I can make sure that I am 100% with my decision.

Wow! Wow! Wow!...

I'm very impressed with your interest and determination in shooting OVER 30 GUNS already... and handling 100 more... That's really FANTASTIC!

Isn't it cool to find a couple of guns that you naturally shoot so accurately?!

You'll be good to go... You obviously have the "fire" for this quest and already enjoy shooting. You're on the right track. Thanks for writing about it. I love hearing these kinds of stories.

If there are small kids in your life and there is ANY possibility one will get his/her hands on your gun unsupervised, then I would avoid any revolver -- a 2-yr old can and will pull the trigger and make a revolver fire. There are dozens of small children killed and gravely injured in the U.S. every year because they somehow got hold of mom's or dad's gun. You don't want to be one of them.

Where there is ANY such possibility get a semi-auto and carry it with the magazine loaded but no round in the barrel (chamber). Yes, you will have to rack the slide before you can shoot but that is exactly what makes it impossible for the small child to make your gun fire. As you have apparently learned, judging by your name, everything is a "compromise." Don't get caught up in the "what if's" people will throw at this suggestion, instead work on your situational awareness.

The .380 will be fine, especially if you get a gun that can handle .380 +P ammo for your carry ammo.

Nice shooting, btw!

I posted in your original thread. I think the Bersa Thunder series is an excellent value. I have both the Thunder 22 and Thunder 380. Both are great. There is a Crimson Trace LaserGrip available for the Thunder. Its certainly worth having for a Self Defense Pistol. There is also a 9 round magazine for the Thunder 380. The standard magazine is 7 rounds. The 9 round magazine is for the DISCONTINUED Thunder 380 Deluxe. The magazine is still available. It makes the Thunder 380 9+1(9 in magazine + 1 in the chamber)

Something to consider... get BOTH the Thunder 22 AND the Thunder 380. That way you can practice with the 22(cheap to shoot, fun to plink with) and then carry the 380. Same gun, just 2 different cartridges.

Whenever your gun can't be under your control, you should imagine a worst case scenario for a burglar/your child, finding it. If for whatever my primary security firearm will not be under my control then it and the magazines are separated and concealed. Any other firearms like a .22 rifle should be locked up so they won't be turned on you in the event a home invader decides to stick around after he/she has found your weapons/ammunition.

I'm a bit jealous that you have so many gun shops to visit! And getting to actually fire that many is awesome. It sounds like your doing all the right things when choosing a fire arm. Pick what you feel most confident in and you should be happy.

Since you are looking at Bersa, you might want to consider the BP9CC for concealed carry. It's thinner and lighter than the Firestorm, but still has 8+1 capacity and is pleasant to shoot. The only caution is that the trigger pull is lighter and shorter than similar sized guns like the Kahr CW9, but it has NO external safeties. This is a holster carry only gun.

If you haven’t been to ‘The Cornered Cat’ web site I suggest a trip there for lots of information and tips:
http://www.corneredcat.com/

Eight is enough…I have to disagree with your reasoning in post. If kids are a factor and you do not want them to get their hands on your gun then do that, take precautions so that they cannot get your gun. I’d also suggest that from a very, very early age you teach them about guns and how to handle them.

You are of course entitled to your own opinion but ‘get a semi-auto instead of a revolver’ because the kids won’t be able to operate the semi-auto, well again, I think this is faulty reasoning. If they get their hands on it they WILL be able to rack the slide and load it. It might involve one kid holding the slide while another kid pulls the gun but they WILL find a way to do it, just like they WILL find the gun if you think ‘a good hiding place’ is enough to keep it out of their hands in the first place.

DaleA is correct. This has been tested and very small kids can rack most semis.

The Glock 26 is the best choice as to quality. But the choice is your own.

Most adult women have a very difficult time racking the slide at first. Small children lack the hand-strength even if they knew to do it, which they will not know unless you teach them.

There are numerous instances where 2 and 3 yr-olds have gotten their hands on very large revolvers, like the Model 29, and pulled the trigger (double-action) and made the gun fire, killing either themselves or another child. It happens many times every year. I doubt either of you can produce a single report of a small child causing an injury or death from a semi-auto in condition 3 (mag loaded, no round in chamber).

Even if there were one or two the odds are about 10,000 times better. No one ever thinks a child is going to get its hands on their gun until it happens. You cannot teach much to a 2 or 3 yr-old that they do not want to learn. Only a fool would think they can teach a 2 - 4 yr-old to not touch their handgun.

The Bersa 380 is one of the best guns for the money that you can get. I was able to get mine at a pawn shop for under $200. and have no problems with the five diffrent brands of ammo that I have tried.
Good luck with what ever you get.
Ed

...get a semi-auto and carry it with the magazine loaded but no round in the barrel (chamber).

Safe storage with children is one thing. There are many choices and I'm sure the OP will find one that works.

On the other hand, carrying with an empty chamber is terrible advice, IMO, and should only be considered if the only other option is not carrying at all. There are numerous threads on carrying with an empty chamber and the overwhelming opinion is to not do it. However, there are many who still choose this method and it is up to the individual person.

The Glock and Beretta are a bit better quality than the Bersas. Aftermarket accessories (sights, holsters, spare parts) are much more readily available for the Glock.

If you opt for a Bersa, the 9mm is going to have an edge over the .380, and ammo should be a bit cheaper.

The autos have the capacity and ease of reload advantage over the LCR. One issue you might consider with the Ruger is that the trigger can be easily short-stroked, causing the cylinder to not rotate far enough to fire.

Most adult women have a very difficult time racking the slide at first. Small children lack the hand-strength even if they knew to do it, which they will not know unless you teach them.

I have taught my wife, two daughters, and half a dozen or so other young women (friends of my daughters) to shoot. I suppose they were all extraordinary, because none of them struggled with it.

Revolvers, semis without safeties, and semis with safeties all need to be stored in a manner that keeps children and unauthorized adults from touching them. You cannot rely on the inability of someone to operate the firearm for safety.

OP, I know you have not advocated otherwise, but other posts needed comment.

Good choice if that's what you liked. I like the Bersa also and a great value for what you get. I have one in 9 mm like it very much.
I also carry .380 in other makes too. I had always used the Hornady critical defense ammo, but have seen the TXP-HP is much better in 380. For penetration & expansion.

Excellent approach to selecting the gun that is right for you. You're taking the time to do it right.

One thing I might mention that I've not seen posted here, is that you'll want to be comfortable shooting the gun in practice--a lot. Maybe that is why you're staying with the lower calibers. In that case, good. The more practice you get the more comfortable you'll be with the gun and the better you'll be at using it. That goes for racking the slide as well.

My wife went with the LC9 and my daughter went with the Glock 26. Like you, they tried out a number of models at the local range and decided on those guns.

Studies have been done of small children and semis - they can rack them using non-standard techniques like leaning the slide against a table and using their body work or doing it in pairs.

Some have seen enough guns on TV that they don't need to be taught explicitly.

I've seen the videos. Google it, nonbelievers.

Eight_is_enough said:
If there are small kids in your life and there is ANY possibility one will get his/her hands on your gun unsupervised, then I would avoid any revolver -- a 2-yr old can and will pull the trigger and make a revolver fire. There are dozens of small children killed and gravely injured in the U.S. every year because they somehow got hold of mom's or dad's gun. You don't want to be one of them.

Where there is ANY such possibility get a semi-auto and carry it with the magazine loaded but no round in the barrel (chamber). Yes, you will have to rack the slide before you can shoot but that is exactly what makes it impossible for the small child to make your gun fire. As you have apparently learned, judging by your name, everything is a "compromise." Don't get caught up in the "what if's" people will throw at this suggestion, instead work on your situational awareness.

The .380 will be fine, especially if you get a gun that can handle .380 +P ammo for your carry ammo.

Nice shooting, btw!

I have to disagree with this, I can understand the thought process but I don't agree with it.

First of all if a handgun is not on your person and you have small children in your house it needs to be secured. One of the handgun vaults out there should fill this bill nicely. Secondly by carrying it without a round in the chamber all you're doing is handicapping yourself if you need to use that firearm. If you're carrying it on your person there is no reason for the chamber to be empty.

I imagine that anyone that has gone to the trouble the OP has to find the perfect carry gun would also go to the trouble to make sure their handgun does not fall into the hands of children. It seems to me that the OP is to be commended for the diligence shown in finding the right firearm. I am also jealous that you have not only so many firearms dealers around but you also have a range in the area that rents firearms, we have no such luxuries here.

Stu

Back