Name Your Snubby Grip

Captain Bligh

I have a S & W Model 60 (.357) with the original grip (Mike's?). It never feels entirely comfortable or natural to hold. And, while it fills the hand up nicely, I consider it bigger than I would like for for concealed carry. At the same time, I'm sure boot grips probably conceal much better but I'd like to have a little more in my hand.

What do you think of the original equipment and/or what have you found that you like better?

RJ

I have a Ruger SP101 .357 snubbie. While the factory panels were okay, I have been much more comfortable with a Hogue Monogrip. Very easy to put on and reasonably priced as well. I like Hogues so much I put them on my ParaOrd p14, but they are the finger groove type. Good luck to you.

michael

For S&W J frames, check out the cdnninvestments.com website. Has some decent factory wood banana round butt onesn and a smooth wood shrunk Magna Target grip to convert round or square butts. $10 means you can whittle on them and if it doesnt work, well I can live with losing $10,

Try Spegel boot grips or the newer Hogue boot grips; they give just a bit more for the last finger to hold.

Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek makes snubby grips in two designs from Craig Spegel. One comes somewhat below the grip frame, and the other is a Boot Grip. Both are well made, comfortable, and the material isn't really "grabby" like most rubber grips (that is, covering garments don't tend to cling to the grips like most rubber grips). Very reasonably priced, too. These are K-frame sized, but I believe there are similar grips for J-frames as well in this line.

Rossi 38spl is my truck weapon. Pachmayr grips in a Uncle Mikes holster just below the seat belt buckel. Rides nicely their. 2in bbl and have worked on it to get it more user friendly.

Hogue Bantam

The Hogue's new Bantam grip is very cool. Hogue quality, fit, and feel at a significantly reduced size. Put one on a 3" 686+ and I'm very satisfied, plus I got it on eBay - NIB delivered for less than six bucks (should of bought several). -- Kernel

Call me strange, but I like the old skinny wooden J-frame grips S&W used to put on their revolvers.

As a matter of fact, after I got my S&W M-640, I swapped the wooden grips from my old M-49 to the M-640. The wood does not grab my clothes, or the skin of my hand, like the rubber grips did.

I've never seen the sense of increasing the bulk of a CCW pistol.

Doc

Captain Bligh,

I have a S&W 640-1, .357, that came with the Uncle Mike's Combat Grip, which extends slightly below the gripframe, and covers the backstrap. I personally much prefer the UM Boot Grip, which ends flush with the bottom of the gripframe, and does not cover the backstrap. For whatever reason, I find I can shoot better with more concealable boot grip. Not a bad $15 investment. YMMV.

I very much dislike the boot grips that come on many of the J-frame S&Ws.

I bought an 042 Centennial a few months back, and it was just beating the crap out of me. I changed the grips out for a set of full-size J-frame Hogue grips, and I'm much happier.

I'm just the opposite of Mike Irwin, I tried a wood Hogue
monogrip on my 642....OUCH..

went back to the Uncle Mike's boot grip that came with the gun..works better for me anyway

Mike M.

I like the grips that come standard on my two Taurus Model 85 38 snubbies....

my2taurus38s.jpg

I use the old-style small wood grips that came on my Taurus 85 stainless, and my brother uses the old Colt grips on his old-model detective special.

My Taurus snubbie wears Pachmayr Compac grips. Not only do they feel better while shooting than the factory wood grips, but the gun points better (for me) now as well.

I have a set of the Uncle Mike's "boot grips" on my S&W 442...my "always" gun. The "travellin' gun" is a Model 60 three-inch with rubber Hogue Monogrips on it...Mrs. 3-5-7 carries a 642, with the Hogue's, as well...I'd like to try the new Hogue "bantam" and see if its any more comfortable than the "boot grip", without giving up any concealability....mikey357

Follow Luigi's Advice

Lou Allesi suggested the old S&W wooden factory grip with a Tyler Adapter. It works well for me. Regards, Richard

Doc Hudson makes a good point about increasing the bulk. The problem I (and apparently quite a few others) have with the original skinny stock wood grips is that they don't offer much in the way of gripping surface for control. Shooting an Airweight snubby with these can be difficult.

However, combine the original J-frame wood grips with a Tyler T-grip grip adapter, and you add minimal bulk and lots more controlability, IMO. For pocket carry, you can't beat that combo.

Back