Name This Pistol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry - stock Colt Government fails number 5).

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

Skorzeny (Otto?),
I've got one. Actually, I guess technically my ex-wife has it. A one of a kind Detonics. It has a full size Government model frame with a Commander length slide (all steel), single stack magazine and a factory Seecamp DA conversion. It's a duplicate of the old ODI Viking, but it is marked Detonics. You won't find it in any book anywhere as I understand Detonics bought the parts in the white, no markings, with the intention of purchasing the tooling and selling them under their own name. But Detonics folded and some of their engineers took the parts, serialed and stamped them and assembled an unknown number of complete guns.

Now, since I think you wanted a full size, ODI did make a number of full sized guns, though most were Commander length.

Do I win the prize??

------------------
Dorsai
Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys.
-- Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Not sure if it meets the steel frame requirement, it might be alloy, buy the Taurus pt45 fits all the other criteria. DA or cocked and locked, slim grip. Not sure about the frame though.

I have never seen a Springfield that would not feed everything out of the box. The one I bought ten years ago fed everything flawlessly enough so that I took it to Desert Storm and was willing to trust my life to it. I gave that one to my father and bought another. It too feeds flawlessly; I had a few misfeeds in a box of handloads last month until I found the bad magazine. I chucked the mag downrange and put a few holes in it. Both Springfields gobble up the Speer flying ashtrays and swc reloads.

Futo: Disagree...I think Herr Skorzeny DOES know what he's asking for...just looking through all that's been offered, it would seem that just about everything has been covered. But FWIW, I'll bite...he want's it to cost less that $750 retail. He's pretty well boxed himself into a base model Springfield which he then takes to a smith for a feed ramp polish and bbl throat job. You may be able to stay < or equal to $750 that way.
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited August 15, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Mike Spight (edited August 15, 1999).]

Doesn't matter what you come up with someone will always say they have or had one that doesn't stand up to the criteria stated here.

Joefo

Has anyone considered the base model Clark 1911? You know, the one with Colt and Springfield Armory parts (and retails for something like $400 plus barrel throating and feedramp polishing job)? This is NOT a rhetorical question as I never saw, touched or shot one.

Come on, folks! Keep plugging away with the answers - you guys have not quite exhausted all the possibilities.

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

And the answer is?

------------------
"Hear the voices in my head, swear to God it sounds like
they're snoring." -Harvey Danger, "Flagpole Sitta"

Brolin Tac-11, Charles Daly, GAL (commander length), HK P9, Safari Arms GI, IAI M5000. That's all I can think of.

(left out Kimber and Springfield for obvious reasons)

smith& wesson Mod 4506
------------------
"Are we at last brought to such an humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the difference between having our arms under our own possession and under our own direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?"
- Patrick Henry

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

ICQ no. 46780559

[This message has been edited by Kimber Man (edited September 02, 1999).]

How about an all steel Smith Wesson CQB from the performance center. I believe this fits all the requirements.

Les Baer Custom Premier II.

Mine was expensive (about $2k with 5 magazines and a few custom adjustments), but it has never failed to fire and is unbelievable accurate. I have tried all sorts of commercial ammunition and reloads with no problem. Every other Les owner I have talked to says the same thing, so I do not believe mine is special in any way.

I would gladly trust my life to it any day, but I do not have the heart to carry it, to expensive and to big.

The only way Les could improve it (in my opinion) would be to make a 10mm version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back