Name pre-2000 guns you dream of owning

but still haven't yet been able to come by.

Mine, prefer excellent to mint, or at least fully restore-able as by polishing, rebluing and/or stock refinishing (no damaged markings, deep scratches, cracks, rust, marring or pits, no aftermarket receiver drilling)

1. pre-2000 Mossberg 500 field shotgun, 12 ga., blue

2. Savage Model 99 with round counter, plain non-take-down model in a common deer caliber OR Husqvarna Model 3000 Crown Grade bolt-action rifle (common deer calibers include: .308, .30-06, .300 Savage and .270)

4. Colt Lawman Mark III .357 revolver, 4" barrel, blue

Last edited:
I lust after . . .

. . . an M1 carbine. I've had opportunity to buy, but hesitated due to my lack of knowledge about that particular gun and the $1000 price.

Maybe someday . . . .

Life is good.
Prof Young

Savage Model 99 with round counter, plain non-take-down model in a common deer caliber

All of the Savage 99s with rotary magazines have the round counter. It was one of the selling points of the rifle. Early guns have a brass one, later guns have a steel one.

Takedown 99s ended with WWII. Rotary mag 99s in .308 Win are rare, they supposedly exist, but no one ever seems to see any. Most of the .308s are the later box magazine models from the 60s. Rotary mag 99s in .300 Savage are common. Savage began factory drill & tap for scopes in the 50s, different years for different models. The easy way to check is just look at the gun. Factory drilled & tapped guns had the name moved to the side of the gun. If the name is over the chamber and it has scope mount holes drilled through it, it was not done by the Savage factory.

No, I would never buy a rifle with the SAVAGE markings drilled through. That's the dead give away. .300 Savage was a pretty common chambering and the one grandpa had was that caliber. His rotary magazine was brass. I can't even remember noticing a counter on his. Grandpa's Savage had "1899" stamped on it. Might have been the patent date of the model designation. Some Savage Models 99's have been branded Model 1899's. Gramp's 99 (or 1899??) had a straight stock and no checkering. Just original iron sights.

Last edited:
Pre-2000? That's easy; I don't want many later than that.

8-3/8" Auto Mag in .357 AMP

1898 Schwarzlose - the Auto Mag's ancestor - any caliber is OK

LAR Grizzly in .50 AE

AMT Automag IV in 10mm AMT Magnum (not 10mm Auto)

original Remington R51 in .380 ACP

Mars Automatic Pistol (any caliber) - because the Brits embraced the weird

S&W Model 3 revolver in .44 Russian

A Sig 550 series. Could not justify typical US market prices back in 2019... 'Pre-Wuhan virus'.

4286b2e15afd84e69e7128521e4a509e.jpg

If there were a Century C-93 ("HK") with known solid reliability, and no potential bolt gap (etc) issues, might be a cool rifle. There's no way to find out about a specific gun.

Back