My young wife home alone...

You think an untrained person with a knife will be more effective than an untrained person with a Beretta?

Or you think it's easier to train a person to safely and effectively use a knife than a Beretta?

Either way, I disagree (and I have trained with knives and Berettas...)

The only way to(edited, explicit content)an attacker is CNS or hitting a major artery. If someone busted through my door I would take a 1' knife over any handgun for the following reasons. A. If someone busted through the door it would IMO very quickly turn into a struggle/fight and I don't think you would get many shots before the struggle/fight. And B. A knife would create far more damage then a handgun in that situation.

For a trained person a gun might be better but I've never trained with either weapon so I can't say for sure. As an untrained person I would take a knife over any gun in that situation.

Why would you prefer a gun?

Last edited:
I've been patiently holding back any comments about a shotgun

But I can't hold it anymore !

Get a 12ga shotgun !

There...

I said it :)

(Edit: In answer to AndersonG22) Multiple reasons:

1) Some people have a serious aversion to violence. For these types, it's often harder to make themselves use a stabbing, slashing, hacking, or bludgeoning instrument, so they are (edit: even) more likely to hesitate (edit: with a knife, as opposed to pulling a trigger).

2) While a handgun can be grappled (I was teaching somebody how to do that Wednesday night, in fact), the BG has to get to contact range to grapple it, whereas the shooter can fire before that happens; a knife (unless one is really good at throwing it) requires that the BG be in contact range, and a knife can be grappled. (Really, one grapples the knife user's wrist/forearm much more than the knife, per se, but there are also ways to grab the knife itself once motion of the arm has been limited.)

3) Depending on the gun, multiple shots can be put on target in the time it would take to get to the second effective attack with the knife.

4) If the BG turns out to have a firearm, he can retreat and shoot through the door, at the knife user.

(Edit) 5) Even trained knife users often find they've cut themselves after a knife is used for SD. Cuts to the fingers of the knife hand from sliding over the guard, to the blade, are common. Sometimes, inadvertently self-inflicted knife cuts are pretty bad, as in ligament, tendon, nerve, or major blood vessel bad. Untrained person with a knife?

In a scenario where a relatively untrained person expects to get into a contact distance problem, I'd recommend a hammerless or shrouded hammer (S&W Centennial or original Bodyguard and descendants) revolver over the knife. The short barrel makes it harder to grapple (although even with guns, my first attack is on the wielder and his hand/wrist, not the gun itself), and it won't get pushed out of battery like a semi will if shoved into the BG.

That is probably the ONLY scenario where I'd suggest a J-frame for a relatively untrained user. For others, I'd recommend a 4" DA revolver, or a service size auto, and at least some training.

(Edit: To clarify, I ALWAYS recommend training; I just realize that in some cases the threat exists before good training becomes available.)

Last edited:
CZ, how do you surreptitiously answer the door with a shotgun?

How do you keep a shotgun nearby, when tending two infants?

Shotguns are great, when used properly; they aren't so good for the two purposes above.

A full size .38 revolver is generally a good choice as a HD gun for someone with minimal experience. Certainly better than any .22lr in terms of power and simpler to use than a full size auto.

A normal door and door frame with a cheap chain kit and brass screws is not going to secure anything. It has to be a quality security door and frame and a quality chain or hinged bar setup.

answer the door with a knife at least 1' long and stab the stomach then slice.

^ Ouch.

Invest in strong doors and locks.

Not many doors or locks can keep out bad guys.
They only delay them a bit.

If your wife thinks she has to yell thru the door
to tell someone to go away,you should
prolly move because it sounds like she and you
are afraid of the neighborhood.
Buying a weapon and taking a course is a good
start in the right direction but one also needs frame of mind
and it sounds like neither of you have it.
Owning a firearm especially for self defense is quite
a responsibilty and can be used out of fright in
the wrong situation.
You don't want mommy raising her kids from prison.
I don't know your finances but if'n I was you
I'd pay a technician from a security system to go thru
the house and secure as much as possible and also
have it monitored. A good panic button wouldn't
hurt either nor would a good baton at conveinent
locations.

I'm still stuck on the aversion to even opening the door. Not EVERYONE who comes to the door is intent on doing harm. While I have no data to back it up, I'd guess that its actually a pretty small chance. This isn't to say she shouldn't be proficient with a gun, but maybe you don't need to be so worried (read: paranoid) that she doesn't even answer the door...

I'm still stuck on the aversion to even opening the door. Not EVERYONE who comes to the door is intent on doing harm. While I have no data to back it up, I'd guess that its actually a pretty small chance. This isn't to say she shouldn't be proficient with a gun, but maybe you don't need to be so worried (read: paranoid) that she doesn't even answer the door...

That depends where you live...

Depends on the neighborhood trends.

We are buying a place in a nice, rural area with nice neighbors... who live anywhere from .3 miles to 1 mile away.

They have recently had a problem with a gang of thieves kicking in the doors during the daytime, apparently after knocking. (People who don't answer the door might encourage these types, as they are actually trying to hit homes while people are at work.)

A couple of them made the mistake of hitting one friend's place, where the dog is both outside and not friendly to strangers. He had been out shooting, elsewhere on his farm. Drove his ATV back to find a couple guys cornered on his porch. The guys claimed to be lost and looking for directions. My friend was armed, as he'd been shooting, and between him and the dog, the two guys were eager to leave.

My friend let them do so, but then immediately called his dispatch (he's a retired deputy, and still does some part-time work with the SD). The plate on the van he reported turned out to have been stolen; a sheriff's cruiser caught the guys a few properties down.

Seems there may be an organized gang of eight or more thieves...

And it is a nice area.

Cornered cat.com

Find a range in the area that offers private trainers or women's only classes. Send her there one night with one of her girl friends. Trust me, it's better if you aren't there anyway.

Tell her to shoot as many guns as she wants and when she finds one she likes and the trainer thinks is best for her tell her to buy it on the spot.

Get a quick access safe for the handgun t keep it safe from the kids.

Let her order as many books on firearms as she would like. Lessons from armed America, armed and female, etc.

I'm guessing that you could get her to a trainer in three days tops.

Since the OP is new here, let me clarify tet4's first suggestion:

Visit PAX's website www.corneredcat.com ... or maybe just tell your wife that the folks at TFL recommended that she take a look at the site.

IMHO, it is never too early to start the process of getting familiar with how to make a pistol ready and then make it safe again. Also, if there is no experience with handguns, then I typically go down to the local sporting goods store and get an airsoft replica that comes close to what you will have and use that to teach the basics of aiming and trigger control. No, it isn't totally realistic, but getting rid of the noise and recoil can be a good thing when someone is getting introduced to handgunning. Besides, you can come back to the airsoft later if you want to run some scenarios in the house after proficiency has been attained.

Mindset has been mentioned already ... but I would not put a fiirearm into play until I was certain that there would be ZERO hesitation in its being used if the situation dictated it. The last thing that you want is for an intruder to all of a sudden be armed with YOUR weapon. Securing this mindset requires a lot of soul searching and some serious conversation. I could be wrong here, but if a person can't bring themselves to tell someone to "go away" when they don't want them there, then they may not (yet) have the mindset necessary to do whatever it takes to stop someone from harming one of their loved ones. That is by no way suggesting that the mindset can't or won't be acquired, just that it may not exist today.

Stay safe,
Saands

After you read TheCorneredCat and ignoring all the well intentioned posts to get X gun, get her some training, let HER pick the gun she wants. In the meantime, a can of bear spray would most likely be better than a gun she is not prepared or knowledgeable about

I am going to make some assumptions here.

I assume that you are a young family with limited resources.

Have you made a security plan? There has been a lot of discussions about the main door. There are some simple inexpensive things you can do to secure the rest of your home.

Patio door. Cut an old broom handle so that it just fits in the track and will prevent the door from opening. The same can be done on sliding windows. Place noise makers at locations were they will be knocked over when someone is entering the home in an unconventional manner. An empty Coke can with some pennies or flat washers make a tremondous racket when they fall to the floor. I use these to train my dogs not to steal food off the kitchen counter.

All ways have her carry her Cell phone with her. Have 911 on speed dial. It should be position 1 or 2.

Harden an interior room. The babies nursery would be a good idea. A fire door with a dead bolt.

Even if she can't go to the range dry firing will help her and is great training.
My Pistol Coach had us dry fire 10 to 20 times for each round we put down range.

The 12 ga may be to big for her. My wife, even with professional training, is afraid of our Mossburg. A 20 ga or even a 410 is effective at close range. Remember a 410 slug has the muzzle energy of a 44Mag.

Other nonlethal items are also effective. Bear Repellant, ABC Dry Chemical Fire extinguishers (my personal favorite) and any number of common household cleaners and bleaches.

She has to become the she bear protecting her cubs.

Note of Caution: Once she becomes aware of the possible threats. DO NOT GET CUTE AND TRY TO SNEAK INTO THE HOUSE AND SUPRISE HER. You do not need to have and accident which leaves her a widow and your babies fatherless.

Alarm system # 1

Firearm # 2 ( training is a must )- you need to discuss your concerns and get her on board with this. If she has no desire to learn to use a firearm then it will do no good. Just make sure she gets some time at the range at the very least.

Also, go to lowes, home depot, etc. and invest in the alarmed door stoppers. They come two to a pack for about 12 bucks if I remember correctly. It's basically a wedge with a rubber bottom and it takes a 9v battery ( it is alarmed if a door is pressed against it) These little things are amazingly strong and will prevent a door from being forced open without letting out an ear piercing siren.

I have these on all my doors at night in the event that someone tries to breach the door. Hopefully this will wake me and buy me some time to collect myself and react.

Note of Caution: Once she becomes aware of the possible threats. DO NOT GET CUTE AND TRY TO SNEAK INTO THE HOUSE AND SUPRISE HER. You do not need to have and accident which leaves her a widow and your babies fatherless.

I couldn't agree more. this is some of the best advice I have ever heard. When I purchased my wife a gun, I told her that I would never sneak in the house or come home unannounced. I always make sure that I call first for that very reason She knows to shoot when someone has entered the home.

Last edited:
I have 3 kids and I haven't spent the money to make the shotgun both secure and immediately accesable, so it just stays locked up unloaded.

I know there are people who answer the door armed when the FedEx guy rings... but I am guessing most of us don't do that.

Have you thought about where the Beretta go - where it would be when she's home during the day? I think you'll need some kind of accesable safe. They usually go in the bedroom. I don't think the answer is having a gun safe in the living room / foyer / dinning room / kitchen, I think the answer is making your front entranceway more secure with some of the methods listed above.

If someone does start to break in via window or whatever - your wife has time to retreat to a safe room, arm herself, call 911 and do all that. Have a plan as mentioned.

Last edited:
Tell her to carry a long and sharp knife when she answers the door and stab someone trying to force his way in.

The other suggestions are very good especially the rubber door stop alarm, but I would carry a knife as a back up plan. If the guy is skinny he might be able to slip in if the door stop isn't close enough to the door, locks may fail or rip off the wall, but a quality knife wont fail you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cycrops
My young wife home alone...

There are a lot of things you can do to harden your home security-wise, but I'll focus on your current issue - getting training for your wife. Some of the others have already recommended formal training, so I won't mention that.

Here are a few other ideas.

1. Airsoft or a CO2 REVOLVER for practice in the basement with a pellet trap or target setup. I said revolver because it will teach trigger control as well as targeting.

2. Invest in a Kel-Tec P32 and have her wear it around the house and in the yard...etc. This will ensure that the kids will not have access to the guns and that your wife will have a gun with her at all times. A pocket holster or a paddle holster will be very easy to maintain access. I suggest a P32 because of the minimal recoil and light weight. Also, this will give her time to get to the Beretta. BTW a fully loaded P32 is 9.4 ounces or a little less than 2 iPhones.

3. Review security strategy and keep it fresh in everyone's mind.

Back