My reason for getting a gun

When it comes to security systems, forget the Radio Shack idea. Your money would be better spent gambling in Vegas. Although I don't normally recommend it, you should consider a quality wireless security system since you are renting. No hard wire installation = no hassles with the landlord. If you're going to do this, it must be monitored. Without monitoring all you have is a useless noisemaker. With monitoring it can actually provide you with some protection. It also has to be a perimeter system where every opening is protected which gives you the option of having it armed while you are home. Glass break detection is good too, but probably unnecessary in a home since bad guys usually only break the widow in order to reach in to unlock and open it. Internal motion detection/infrared sensors are standard. Don't go with Brinks or any other nationally recognized and marketing driven "security" company. They are more interested in the check you send them every month for monitoring than they are providing you with the level of protection that you, your loved ones, and property require. I could go on, but I'll stop now. ;)

choochboost, no no, keep going. That was an interesting post and informative.

Could you tell us why exactly you say to go monitored over unmonitored? I'm interested and would like some more commentary from you now! Awesome post.

This is a long one

In a former life I was a security consultant and these are my thoughts regarding residential security systems.

Why have a monitored system

Monitoring is a good thing because the thought of the police arriving is the thing that motivates the BG to run away. That is exactly what we want. If the police aren’t coming he has nothing to fear, unless of course the homeowner is present and armed. Monitoring assures that this chain reaction is in place and BG's can continue to run for fear of being caught. I have known several cases where the BG initially fled the premises but lingered in the area, and when there is no police response he returned, ignoring the siren, to finish the job. The siren is not for the neighbors, it is for the BG, to tell him his presence has been detected. That's why I don't believe in outside sirens. Internal sirens are the way to go and the more ear-splitting and piercing they are, the better, as it might discourage them from grabbing your stereo on their way out. Unmonitored systems just ring, and that's it. Nobody cares. An outside siren just annoys everyone in the neighborhood. Residential alarms and car alarms go off all the time and nobody pays any attention. Monitored security systems can protect your home while you are away. But even if you don't care about your "stuff", monitored systems also ensure that your unoccupied home is safe for your wife to return to when she comes back from the grocery store. A young mother was recently murdered in my area, where that exact thing happened. She came home, disturbed a burglar in her home, and after he raped her he stabbed her to death.

SOP and false alarms

Different monitoring companies have different standard operating procedures (SOP) and most tailor their SOP to deal with the problem of false alarms. False alarms are the bane of the industry and the reasons why cops are now refusing to respond. The number one cause of false alarms is customer error. In order to deal with this, the industry has adopted something referred to as “alarm verification”, where the monitoring station calls the residence to confirm whether or not this is a real event or just a false alarm. This means that every signal is assumed to be a false alarm and the police are only called when it cannot be confirmed to be false. Something is wrong with that process. Some of these big companies even boast about their SOP and feature them prominently in their national TV advertising. You’ll see commercials where a residential alarm goes off and then the security company calls the residence to verify. This is not providing protection, it's unnecessarily delaying the arrival of assistance. The very first thing the monitoring company should do is call the police without delay. The delay in dispatching police also gives the bad guy several minutes to roam freely throughout your house and take whatever he wants (while the phone rings) knowing the police haven’t even been notified yet. You also want the police dispatched ASAP because the result of any delay could be loss of life. Yours or the BG. You have your firearms to protect you, but you want the police to arrive ASAP so that you don’t have to kill anyone. Just so you know, there are ways to deal with customer caused false alarms where the police are immediately dispatched but then canceled by the user without them even having to pick up the phone. Its safe, much more efficient, and keeps cops happy. I’ll save the details of that for another time. For the record, although the monitoring company initially calls the police, they should still call the residence in attempt to connect with the homeowner. In the event of a actual intrusion the homeowner is connected with the outside world and can provide info to the police.

Perimeter protection

There is no protection without perimeter protection. Perimeter protection means that all accessible (some prefer all) windows and doors are wired. This lets you move about freely in your home with the system armed. Although the technology in motion detectors/passive infrared detectors has improved in recent years with self-verification and the ability to discern the difference between a small pets and a human walking around, they should still be considered a back-up to the primary protection provided by your perimeter protection. After user error, motion detectors are biggest cause of false alarms so should not be counted on as your primary defense. They are also relatively easy to defeat if you know what you're doing. Not only that, but if your entire system is motion detection based, then you have no protection at all when you're at home. Perimeter protection gives you early warning of an intrusion before the BG is in your home. When the system goes off at night waking you up, you can retrieve your firearm and make sure your family is safe and accounted for knowing that there is a good chance the BG is still outside and the police have already been dispatched and are on their way. You cannot control whether the police response will be fast or slow, but at least they have been notified, and you’re already doing your own part to ensure the safety of your family – gun in hand.

What company to deal with

Stay away from any company whose name you recognize such as Brinks, ADT, etc. You might think that national recognition would be a good thing but in most cases its not. The reason why they are nationally known and so large is because they built themselves into the huge corporation that they are on those monthly monitoring contracts. Most of these big companies set up agreements with small companies where the small company becomes the "authorized dealer" of the big company's products. It’s a very symbiotic relationship for them. The small company gets full advertising rights and privileges to use the big company's name and logo which brings in the business, and once the customer signs on the dotted line, the small company sells the contract to the big company. These contracts are usually 2-5 years and provide the big company with the re-occurring revenue generated by the monthly monitoring fees. They might as well be selling cell phones…it’s the same principle. The smaller company is no longer concerned about the customer since they already got what they wanted out of the deal. They are not motivated to provide continued service since there is nothing in it for them. Because it’s all about throwing the system together and getting the contract signed, inferior equipment is often used and poorly installed. A great example of poor quality equipment are the systems that are compromised of all-in-one units, where it is the keypad, control panel (brains), and siren, all in one unit. It’s usually large and ugly and situated right inside the entry way. All the BG has to do is break in and take a hammer to the thing and it is defeated. This not a security system. They install systems like this to save time...and time is money. They get the equipment in ASAP, get the contract signed, sell it to the larger company, and everybody wins...except the customer. They don't care about the product installed, or whether the job was done well, as long as you sign on the dotted line they are happy. Because these companies are getting your money every month, there is no incentive to keep you a happy customer and their customer service may not be so great when you need service work or decide to upgrade to additional protection. For the record, a quality hard-wire installation could take a full day or more depending on the size and construction of the house, and you won't even know its there.

I know this was long, but I hope it was helpful.

Last edited:
The only question i would have is what to do in a hostage situation with the one of the kids being involved,ages 2,5,8,10.

As Capt. Charlie said, that's a nightmare. I wouldn't ever feel comfortable shooting in a situation like that; not saying I wouldn't if I had to though, I just would prefer not to get there in the 1st place. However, you need to know:

1. An instant stop shot is going to have to be either the Central Nervous system at the tip of the spine or the spine itself. Both of these are well guarded and small targets. You could very well end up shooting the BG in the head and having dead motor skills make his fingers tighten and fire the weapon (which would be pointed at your hostage's head I assume).

2. With said very difficult shot; add the fact you won't be too close; and will be shaking violently. Not many people are that cool, calm, and collected at 1 AM with a gun to someone's head.

3. It's a debate whether you should ever drop your weapon. Law enforcement has been taught to never; and in 99% cases you shouldn't either. However, if the person is psychologically unstable, he might shoot if you don't. Most BG's realize the minute they shoot the hostage the good guy will open up on them; your BG sounds to be pretty mentally unstable.

It's a good thing you've taken the steps you have; but some things I can think of that will help you yet not violate your deal with your landlord:

Door stop alarms; a wedge that makes the door not easy to open and makes its alarm go off when someone tries to open it. Very cheap, very effective.

If your house doesn't have good locks; make the landlord put them in or atleast allow you to. You shouldn't have to live behind sub-standard locks.

Best of luck!

It's a debate whether you should ever drop your weapon. Law enforcement has been taught to never; and in 99% cases you shouldn't either.
No debate. If you surrender your weapon you can only lose and you have just forfeited any option to defend yourself or your loved ones.

However, if the person is psychologically unstable, he might shoot if you don't.
Even if you surrender your weapon, what will stop him from shooting both you and your family member (his hostage)? The presence of your weapon does not put you or your family member in any greater danger, but surrendering it sure will!

I must also reccomend you seek formal training. I have friends that live in Cadilac, so I happen to know there isn't much along the lines of tactical training available there. Second Chance body armor is located somewhat near you, but I dobt they do training, (just horribly fun machine gun shoots). I think your best bet is to do an internet search and find some reputable trainers that are a minimal drive away. Also, if you haven't already, get a concealed pistol license.

Normaly the website below would be a good place to look up a reputable self defence school in your area, but it appears that their hosting contract expired today, so check back later after they staighten that out.

www.glsda.org

Even if you surrender your weapon, what will stop him from shooting both you and your family member (his hostage)? The presence of your weapon does not put you or your family member in any greater danger, but surrendering it sure will!

Remember though; your loved one means zippo to the BG, and the BG means zippo to you. But I bet your loved one means a hell of a lot to you. So what stops him from shooting the hostage with your gun pointed at him? Big deal to you that you kill him; that won't bring back a loved one. He may not even care whether he lives or dies.

I understand that 99% of the time not standing down is the proper tactic; however, you need to do what will best get your family out alive. If you sense he is about to pull the trigger; and you can't stop it, I would best put my weapon down and hopefully buy myself some more time.

Back