My oldest gun (that still shoots) is.....

twobit

Lets list the oldest gun we own that is still in shooting condition.

Mine is a Winchester 1892 in 44-40 that was originally bought by my Great-grandfather in 1895. It was made in 1895 also. It has been in the family for 116 years. He carried it as a saddle gun on the Texas-Mexico border.

I have a family heirloom 3rd Model Brown Bess musket dating back to the Revolutionary War.
Although I would never dream of firing it, it is in perfect working order.
Does this count?

1901 Winchester lever action 10g. I have an older Damascus barreled shot gun that should shoot, but I never have.

SXS 12 gauge 1840-1850ish. very good shooter. Also have a pattern 53 Enfield dated 1861 that shoots great.

Winchester 1906 made in 1909. Nice little rifle that shoots great. Just had it out today plinking away. Approx 150 plus rounds, damn that guns fun!

Hey Mike,,, I own your gun's little sister,,,,,

1892 French Lebel in 8mm,,,
Her name is Margeaux.

07-margeaux.JPG

Usually around my birthday I take her out and shoot a cylinder or two,,,
Fiocchi makes new ammo for her but it's a bit pricey,,,
Surprisingly accurate at a 25 yard distance.

Aarond

1863 Sharps military saddle ring carbine sleeved to .50-70 Gov't in 1867. It saw action as a paper cartridge .52 caliber carbine during the Civil War and after conversion was used in the Indian Wars against the Commanche Indians in Texas. It is in NRA Abysmal condition with severe wear on both the wood and metal, and abundant pitting on the exterior metal surfaces, but the bore is shiny and it shoots to point of aim at 50 yards with a 450 grain cast bullet and 55 gr of FF(g) which was the correct "carbine" load. A full house military rifle load of 70gr FF(g) is not nearly as much fun to shoot.

1861 Colt's Special Model (Springfield design) rifled musket.

Hey, I've got one of those, too, but made by LG&Y on Colt's tooling. It was my great, great grandfather's when he was in the 27th Michigan Volunteer Infantry.

GHDunn_1861_Special_1.jpg

I don't shoot it often, but it works like a charm!

drew_springfield_1.jpg

I also have great grandpa's .38-40 Colt Lightning rifle made in 1884.

I have a family heirloom 3rd Model Brown Bess musket dating back to the Revolutionary War.
Although I would never dream of firing it, it is in perfect working order.
Does this count?
Thread over, I think we have a winner.:p

The oldest I have is an 1875 Remington in 44-40

Rem1875-3.jpg

Steven single shot 25-20, 1916. A little pricey to shoot but I can feel the history in it when I do and it's a joy to shoot. Still more accurate than I am and would be better if I scoped it but that seems like sacrilege.

The oldest firearm that i own that still shoots is my Sako Finnish M39 The Barrel is dated 1944, but the reciever was made prior to 1918 because it has the Russian Eagle ground off. So this is a very old rifle, and apears to have seen alot of use. The Barrel has quite a bit of wear, but is still bright, and it is very accurate.

Back