My old pellet gun.

My favorite was my .22 crossman from the 80s. I think it was around 550 fps, but in 22 it packed a punch. Bought several CO2s and they always seemed to eventually leak. Still have an old revolver, but need to fix it.

Does anyone remember the $4.95 guns sold in magazines in the 80s. Shoot pellets as fast as you can pull the trigger. I bought around 4 of them at once. Such a disappointment, not sure what I was expecting for $5. They were plastic and shot pellets that looked like tic tacs. The pictures in the ads made me think they were real, but I was young.

The older, metal 880s can be rebuilt. The seals, leather, and plastic parts are pretty cheap.

I had one that I was going to save, but ended up donating it to a guy in Georgia that rebuilds and resells air rifles to help support his charitable efforts (he's a pastor that runs several 'outreach' programs).

Just as I was about to ship that metal 880 out, I discovered that it wasn't actually in need of repair. It just had a small piece of skirt from a pellet lodged in the air valve. (I still sent it, along with a note explaining that it was functioning as intended.)

My own Daisy 880 Powerline really isn't worth much. It's a ~6 year old plastic model and just doesn't shoot worth a darn. I've tried all kinds of pellets (even some BBs), and it just won't shoot.

It may be that I had lower expectations at the time, or that I was shooting things at point-blank range and only thought the targets were farther away, but the Crosman 760 Pump Master that I had as a kid sure seemed to be much better - especially with BBs.

I still have my old metal frame, solid plastic stock 760. That gun would cost $300.00 today to build compared to the plastic receiver, hollow stocked model they push today. I new a kid that had one with (I think) a rifled barrel, nickle plated receiver and a wooded stock and forearm. I'm pretty sure it was a 760 XL, very cool!

Many years ago (1970's) my uncle worked for Benjamin Air Rifle Co. in StL. I still have a .22 caliber air pistol and .22 cal air rifle he gave me, fresh from the factory. Still function well, and like NIB. Ahhhhhh........the good old days.

Back