My next rifle

Your caliber choice is a good one. Just as important is the rifle choice, a .270 is a .270 is not correct, as some rifles are Synonymous with the caliber; the .270 is one of such.

You don't have a REAL .270 unless you have a CRF Winchester -- PERIOD!

You don't have a REAL .45 Colt unless you have a COLT PEACEMAKER -- PERIOD!

You don't have a REAL .416 Rigby unless you have a RIGBY RIFLE -- PERIOD!

Are you hearing what I am saying???:cool:

For a little bit more you can get the 11 Long Range Hunter from Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor. Sorry not a thumbhole fan for a hunting rifle. I also prefer the 6.5s over the .270 for longer ranges.

Any more ideas on rifles I've overlooked?

I'll answer your question, with a couple of questions....
How much of your shooting do you intend to be "longer range target", and what do you define as "longer range?"

And, do you handload??

There's another thread running about the .270 vs. the .30-06.
Ballistically, they're nearly identical. But, there's a huge selection of high BC target bullets in .30 cal, and relatively few in .277.

If you have not considered the .260 Remington, or the 7mm-.08 IF you handload. Otherwise, factory match ammo is tough to come by, and expensive.

If you don't handload, I would really consider the .308.
Most versatile selection of hunting and match target factory ammo, which makes it an extremely versatile choice. There's a reason why it's one of the most common calibers used for the purposes you describe, it does many things very well. Kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none"...

Far as manufacturer, I again would ask- do you intend to customize, or accurize the rifle down the road?

If so, I would go with Savage or a Remington 700.
We own several of both, aftermarket stocks and accessories are most plentiful for the 700, with Savage a close second nowadays.

I prefer the Savage because I prefer the ability to change calibers and re-barrel if I so choose. Makes "project guns"- without a gunsmith, easy-peasy.
I've got a 7mm-.08 varmint barrel on the way, to change a hunting barrel, to a heavy long range target barrel. If I ever decide to take the rifle hunting, I can just screw the lightweight, 20" factory countour barrel back on, and I'm back to a lightweight mountain rifle.

I've no experience with Howa, but have heard nothing but good things about them. Downside is limited aftermarket accessories, and gunsmiths to work on them. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm a 270 fan, though I did hunt this last season with my 260. The little deer here in central Texas don't need the big medicine to take them down. If and when I go back to the Louisiana lowlands, I'm taking the 270. You just can't beat a 270 for deer hunting. Sure, the 308 is a fine round, as is the 30-06. And the 260 is a good round, and I use it a lot, but I've always felt that the 130 grain bullet at 3000 fps in the 270 is just about right. The 260 gets close to that, with the 120 grainer at 2900. Sight the 270 in at 200 and you're down 7 inches at 300 and 20 inches at 400 (and 40ish at 500). I've been hunting with that cartridge for so long that if I see a deer at 400ish or less, we won't be eating beans tonight. As for what gun you pick, it's your money, but I'd personally buy iin this order: Sako, Ruger, Winchester, Remington, Savage. I might put the Winchester ahead of the Ruger, if I could afford the Model 70 with the fancy wood. The Remington is a fine rifle, but it just doesn't do much for me. I sold mine to get the Sako. As for the Savage, there's just no appeal there for me at all. Reminds me of that old song from the 60's, where the guy is singing about his wife: She's ugly, but she sho can cook. And if I need another barrel, I'll buy the rest of the gun to go with it. But again...it's your money, so buy what looks and feels good to you. Do have a look at the FN Winchesters.

I have a Remington Mod 700 in the 270 cal with the Leupold scope and love it. It has never let me down on Long pipeline shots 350 to 375 yards, are not uncommon.. My son shoots the Winchester mod 70 and loves his Best of luck :)

Back