My next rifle

njm

Currently I am in the process of selecting my next gun. After several months of reading everything I can find, I've finally selected the .270. The main reason for the gun is for some south Dakota mules, but also some longer range target shooting. I've had some issues choosing the maker. I've got my selection down to two.
howa http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa_thmbsporter.html
savage. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/11BTH.
11/111 bth under hunter series

I guess I'm looking for commits and suggestions also for some optics suggestions.

thanks in advance
first time poster hope the links work

Last edited:
Not much of a thumbhole fan, but I like the looks of the Savage a bit better. Either will likelly be a good shooter, though.

One thing I'm still unsure of is the two stage trigger on the howa. I do already have two savages with accu triggers. as of right now I am a fan of those.

Last year I picked up a Series 2 Weatherby Vanguard with a two stage trigger and I really like it. Also my oldest son who shoots a lot with me has said how much he likes it.

Either of the rifles you have narrowed your search to should be good but if you ever plan on adding aftermarket parts you may want to consider the Savage. They have a larger following therefore have more parts available.

For deer hunting it doesn't make a difference; for target shooting, it depends on whether you are shooting for fun, or competition. If competition, you may have to research a little more.

I have the savage model 111* myself, you won't regret it drops deer and a flat shooting round. I don't shoot incredible long distances and use the 150gr rem core lokt (they were cheap and I'm a broke college student) this year and they pack a punch. I couldn't really help you with target shooting aspect because I don't do much target shooting with it mainly my deer slayer :D.

Last edited:
If you are looking at the Howa, you should also look at the Weatherby Vanguard S2, which uses a Howa action on a Weatherby stock. In 270 you can get it with a detachable magazine. It has the same build quality, three position safety and two stage trigger as the Howa, and Weatherby provides a one moa guarantee.

The Savage 11 is short action, the 111 is long action and would be the action in 270. Savage rifles have a reputation for shooting, but I still don't like them. Their controls, ergonmics and handling is all wrong, especially on the long actions. The spacing between front and rear receiver bridges is about 1" longer than on any other rifle resulting in an especially long bolt throw and it makes it difficult to mount certain scopes on them. The scope and mounts are just as important as the rifle and I simply cannot make the scope and mounts that I want fit on a long action Savage. It is a close fit on the short actions.

As others have said the Vanguard is essentially the same rifle as the Howa, but is less expnsive. The new S2 version is selling for $469 locally, but the recenly discontinued version is $349 and would be my recommendation.

Neither would be my personal choice, but between the 2 I'd save the money and go Vanguard over the Howa or Savage. The 270 is a great choice. Can't like that thumbhole laminated stock though.

I love the 270 Win, I also love the Model 70 Winchester.

I have a FN Model 70 Featherweight in 270 Win. That puppy is the cat's meow for prairie hunting for deer and antelope.

I have a thumbhole on a rimfire sporter and it's fine for target shooting, but clumsy in the field. A standard sporter stock would be best for a quicker second shot and would carry nicer.

Thanks for all the help. I'm doing a little more research on rifles. Any more ideas on rifles I've overlooked?

Model 70

Another vote for Winchester Model 70. I like the Classic Sporter with real walnut. Of course, pre-64's are even more desireable.

270WIN isa great round one of the best IMO, Either one of the rifles on your list would do a fine job.I'M a leupold fan myself just match the scope to your style of hunting, good luck.

I have a Savage 110, .270 win that shoots under 1/2 MOA.
So between the Howa and the Savage, Like I said I own a Savage 110, .270 win that shoots under 1/2 MOA.;)

P.S. dont shoot mules les the farmer needs you to.:p

Now Im second guessing myself.

Alright now maybe I need to start another post, but I'm starting to look at the .300 win mag. Mainly because of bullet selection in the .30 cal vs .270. any thoughts or concerns.

What are you going to hunt with your new rifle? As far as bullet selection of the .300 vs. .270 you will probably find one bullet weight that works best and stick with it. Same thing will be said for ammunition if you don't reload.

If all you ever hunt is deer, the .270 is the better of the two cartridge choices. If elk or larger game is to be hunted the .300 will edge out the .270, although it is a perfectly capable elk rifle and cartridge. If you are inexperienced with centerfire rifles but want a .30 caliber for bullet selection the .308 and .30-06 will be better to learn with than the .300 Win Mag.

Last edited:
From .270 to .300 win mag? That's quite the step up, However if you were to say, try the 7mm rem mag first, I think you would have your winner.
The 7mm rem mag has super ballistics, you should read up on it and see if its worth checking into for you.

Back