My Next Rifle Purchase

A lover of bolt guns here and no matter what the range. I would put my 2cents in and add the model 7 remington, if its already been suggested, sorry, I didnt read all the posts. It does come in 308 which you have, and in 7-08 which I have one in. Its a great little rifle to carry, older ones have irons but new ones come clean. It also has a adjustable trigger.

I do a lot of hunting with my little 7mm-08 Winchester Featherweight. Easy to carry and it simply kills stuff! :D

My Dad carried a Win 94 in .32 Special for years. Dropped at least 3 deer I know of. It will work just fine.

There are, however, two drawbacks to the .32 Special. One real, one potential. The potential is that .32Specials have a reputation for losing their accuracy (sometimes) with no apparent reason. Not saying it will, only that it can.

The main, and the real drawback to the .32 Special is that ammo production is, and has for some time been "seasonal".

"Seasonal" ammo production does not mean it is produced every season. What it means is that it is produced every few YEARS, give or take. When the inventory reaches a certain low point, the factory sets up the production line, does a run to bring the inventory back up to the desired level, then packs up the tooling and puts it away, until the next time. Depending on the sales of the ammo, it might be a year, two, or 6.

IF there is a "run" on the ammo (unexpected buying surge) which sometimes happens due to a popular movie, or other reason for renewed interest, there can be a "dry spell" with no "new" ammo available, until the next factory run.

If you like and want the .32 Special, buy several years worth of ammo, when you have the chance, and you'll likely always have some.

If you are a handloader, don't sweat it! :D Components are always out there, and if you can't find .32 Special brass you can make acceptable cases from the common .30-30 very easily.

Two things to note on the .32 Winchester Special. Years ago they were thought to lose accuracy. Some thought it was due to throat erosion...others the 16" twist rifling wasn't consistently fast enough. Luckily, the rumors have mostly been proven false....a bunch of sample ammo from the 30's throuhg 50's were pulled and measured and it was found that bullet size was the problem. A 32 Win Sp used .321 bullets but many older bullets sampled ended up measuring .318 to .319. These days proper .321 bullets shoot fine even in rifles who's owners had resigned to "it's not as accurate as other rifles but it's good enough for deer hunting".

Another condition is or was the seasonal ammo supply. Winchester and Remington make it on a seasonal basis, but Hornady stocks it full time with their fantastic LEVERevolution ammo line. They also readily sell bullets and brass. Federal has began offering .32 Win Special in their full time product line too so now it's easier to obtain than it was just 5 years ago. I hope more manufacturers catch on and start to give the .32 the attention it deserves. It's a great rifle cartridge, with a neat history and it packs a big punch with little recoil. I really enjoy that old cartridge and as a 100 yard deer rifle, it's

Many thanks for all the great advice and input.

I went with a new CZ 527 in 7.62x39 AND a used Marlin 94 in 357 mag. I'll probably use the CZ for days when I'll be shooting 75 to 150 yards or so and the Marlin for real close stuff.... knowing full well that either will work in a pinch.

And I think they'll both be fun to shoot lots, with cheap ammo available everywhere. Can't wait for them to arrive!!

Thanks again everyone.

Jackstraw, I'm happy for your choices. The 357 mag is a pretty flat shooter to just past 100 yards with 158 grain bullets. Somewhere around 125 or so it begins to drop. Or that is my experience at least.

Congratulations.

Can't go wrong with CZ in my book. My back to basics fun gun is a 455 lux in 22lr with the factory irons. It is very accurate, and a true pleasure to shoot, with the fine feel and workmanship. The only reason I don't have one of their center fire rifles (yet) is that I found a superb deal on a Mauser 98 in the used rack (30-'06).

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I have a Savage 99 in 300 Savage cal that was my grand fathers then my fathers and now I have it. IMHO it is the best all around deer and black bear rifle you can own. I have owned a 30-06 rifle and a lever 30-30 but always come back to the Savage 99. There are quite a few of them used in great shape if you look around for them.

I'm not a fan of the 99s, the 308 variant I've handled quite a bit locks up quite a bit with anything that's not loaded SHORT.

44 mag is awesome for deer at 100 and less ranges and the marlin 1894 that I used to own was light as a feather and easy to pack in the brush. it would definitely be my number one pick of the 3.

It Works!!

Hey, I don't mean to drag up an old thread, but I wanted to share my experiences with the CZ 527 this week (the opening of gun season in my part of NYS).

In short, it worked great.

I loaded the 527 with Hornady's steel cased SST load. It pushes a 123 grain bullet at 2350 fps and yes, it works great on deer. I made a very nice double lung shot on my first buck ever at about 40 yards. Had a clean pass through with about a quarter sized exit hole. Plenty of blood trail, but the deer only made it 30 yards or so before dropping. That works for me.

Thanks to all who recommended this gun. It carries SO WELL and did the job admirably.

Any CZ is a fine choice in weapons. Where is your area of upstate NY? I'm in Owego, the Southern Tier.

This year I took my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70 for a walk. Saw a nice buck but didn't get a shot off. 70 degrees opening day, today (36 hours later) we are under 12 inches of snow and it's still snowing.

Flashole,

I'm up north between Rochester and Syracuse, about 2 miles from Lake Ontario. Same weather here, 65 Saturday.... then the winds and snow came haha.

Back