My next favorite revolver - S&W 27?

Now if they didn't have the full lug I'd be totally on board with a 4" 586. I just can't handle any revolver with a full under lug. I also am on the lookout for a nice Model 19, in a 4" of course. I have a Model 15 and Model 57 so a 19 and a 27 would complete my list of Smiths.

Partial dissenter here, I prefer the Model 28. I am in a minority, I know, but I actually like the Satin Blue of the 28 over the Hi-lustre Blue of the 27, and 29.

Don't like my pistols to be mirrors, prefer something a bit more subdued.

I have what I think it the best of both worlds, a 6" 28 with the target hammer and trigger. Nearly all the features of the 27 (all the really important ones, anyway) and at a MUCH lower price.

I don't miss the checkered top, the bead blasted flat of the 28 works just fine. Same internals as the 27, just a lesser grade finish.

If you want something other than a 4 or 6" barrel, then the 27 is the way to go. Otherwise, you get as good a working gun in the 28 for significantly less money.

Unfortunately, the Python was LNIB and I can't bring myself to shoot it. That's why I bought the 586, to shoot! I'll probably end up selling the Python to someone who wants it more than I do.

I've thought about a 686 Deluxe (I like wood grips) and polishing it up to bright stainless. It would go nicely with my Colt Royal Stainless Gold Cup. I do like bright stainless...

I think I'm still set on the 4" 27.

I understand completely about the Python...there is only so much Python 'goodness' left in the world after all. And I'm not being sarcastic I really think I do understand owning something really, really nice.

Partial dissenter here, I prefer the Model 28. I am in a minority, I know, but I actually like the Satin Blue of the 28 over the Hi-lustre Blue of the 27, and 29.

Don't like my pistols to be mirrors, prefer something a bit more subdued.

I have what I think it the best of both worlds, a 6" 28 with the target hammer and trigger. Nearly all the features of the 27 (all the really important ones, anyway) and at a MUCH lower price.

I don't miss the checkered top, the bead blasted flat of the 28 works just fine. Same internals as the 27, just a lesser grade finish.

Howdy Again

Certainly nothing wrong with a Model 28, I have three of them. Here are two. However, the finish of a Model 28 is not bead blasted, it just has not been polished to the high degree of a Model 27 and most other older Smiths. In fact, the gloss of the Model 28 varied over the years. Some years they were more highly polished than others.

But yes, it is the high polish that was one of the factors in making the Model 27 so expensive. Polishing was done by skilled polishers, one gun at a time.

Model%2028_01_zpszm3omzpa.jpg

Model%2028-2%2002_zpsxfy64els.jpg

However, the finish of a Model 28 is not bead blasted,

The topstrap & barrel rib are described as "bead blasted", to give them the flat, non-reflective finish they have. The checkering of the Model 27 gives the same effect (non glare surface) and, of course looks cool, and shows the time and effort put into the gun. (and helps visually justify the additional cost, every time the owner looks at it :))

The rest of the M28's finish is described as "satin blue". I did not mean to imply that the entire gun was bead blasted finish, only the sight plane.

I have a 29-2 also (inherited from my father), it is lovely, high luster blue, very pretty, same as the 27. While I like it, I like the satin blue of the 28 better. It just seems more...business like and practical.

Can't say anything about the new 27 other than that it's new so I probably don't like it. The 27 (and variants) is my favorite revolver but my newest one was shipped in 1979. Here are a couple...

A 5" M27 shipped in 1960.

standard.jpg

A 3.5" "357 Magnum" shipped in 1950.

standard.jpg

A 3.5" M27-2 shipped in 1978.

standard.jpg

I have seen the M-27 described as the revolver you carry on Sunday, the M-28 as the one you carry the rest of the week.
A 5"-27 -Skeeter Skelton is smiling down on you.

Five-inch Model 27 in pristine condition sitting right now in a north Georgia
gun store.....or at least it was a week ago when I saw it.

It came in with a large collection of Smiths including a Model 28 with cleated two-piece blue box and docs and tools.

I like my "prisoner transportation" S&W Model 64 based on the guns the Illinois Department of Corrections currently uses for the detail of transporting prisoners:

20170804_163622-1.jpg

When you are asking for a top-of-the-line smooth handling revolver - and guessing that you want to stay with S&W - the M19 and M14 are very nice revolvers for someone who shoots .38 Special.

I have a 27-2 and it is a nice revolver but my old 14-2 and K-22 are my preferred guns when it comes to accuracy and my M19s do not need to hide, either.

0LtxnN-quKCGa3dyq3Phvm3OLKJl2atKhH5CQg7W3IIpYIhYvoFDHd2u0gdDW5rpC78qDWvL4I2j0-IraU5xm_JXZlsM7DQmL4BD6cqRCdtRUeAfDewmqxHDkXTCFPiPYrDKe2uXaA

N_pBN2jg1WiXtRRLlICNbLhJPwHpdNyBfvnvybPEAMNC0LCiS72izDEsdJuF_vU5f1OOxeYCbr9yB3vPCsKWRKqOatJaj2ZFyL6Ja7_iEbv2AhXcXIsYY33QQzhN5M2vNgjgbbPruQ

080oIblOewLRq14SiB4EykhB5XJclHtv210MtlsCXORhJUto4iug_gFQBR1nXuxWPwC8-YdutFW_NS0eLu5rqZUesn-rYWnB1WKG9n_p-rPmi-In6XFM4UYA5kffea5t4ViXGF46kw

https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105774&stc=1&d=1505421925

A number of 27s and 28s have passed through my hands and this is the one that stuck. After having to try everything I can to get the correct photos to show up, this is supposed to be my M28 and 5" M27. The 27 started in life as a 6" but was later sent back to the factory for a 5" barrel. Please forgive if this is all screwed up; t'aint my fault.

]https://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=105774&d=1505422141

Attachments

• ca4b3e33-2dc2-4248-bee8-e43f24064ac6_zps5f2b8c6f.jpg
    ca4b3e33-2dc2-4248-bee8-e43f24064ac6_zps5f2b8c6f.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 47
I saw a very nice 6" King Cobra a shop today. It was tempting, but the price was ridiculous in my mind. I can't see spending 2X the price of a 27 on a King Cobra.

I finally talked a local gun shop into ordering in a M27 4"!

It's gorgeous!

I took her to the range with my 6" 586 and put some rounds downrange (38spl).

I have some work to do breaking that trigger in. The lack of an orange blade in the front sight makes it a bit tougher to acquire a fast sight picture. The smaller grips are definitely different. Overall, I like it, but the better broken in 586 is still on top for shootability.

I'll let you know what I think after dry-firing and live-firing smooth it out.

Back