My New Toy.

USSR

Wanted one of these for the longest time, and now I have one. S&W Model 52-2 in .38 Special.

Don

attachment.php

Attachments

• pix725764560.jpg
    pix725764560.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 768
Cool! I've read about these before, supposedly they were designed to shoot wadcutters, which is extremely impressive.

Smith & Wesson's semiautomatic pistols are grossly underappreciated, but I suppose that I ought to be grateful for that, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to purchase a California Highway Patrol 4006TSW for $350 a couple years back.

attachment.php

As Classic12 posted recently, the Sig P240 was chambered for the .38 match wadcutter.
They also made the Colt 1911's in .38 wadcutters as well.

All these were in the days when bullseye ruled the games, and designed for the NRA centerfire matches and as noted before, the Sig for the ISSF international centerfire matches.

I guess in a pinch, you could change out the recoil spring to a heavier one and shoot the federal flush loaded .38 specials in it for SD. There was once even a way to increase the mag capactiy to 6 rounds. But there are too many other options for SD these days so it is designated mostly to target and collectible status.

The Smith 745 was based on the same design for .45 acp. Single action only with a hammer block.

The .38 Gold Cup was very different from a 1911 in design and operation, a blowback action, slightly retarded by chamber grooves in the last MkIII version.
I don't know if it could compete with the M52 and gunsmith conversions of .38 Super to Special.

There was at one time a "service wadcutter" at 850 fps instead of 750 fps. If you lived in a repressive jurisdiction and the only excuse for owning a pistol was conventional target shooting, that would be one way to repel boarders. Maj. Geo. C. Nonte suggested using .38 LC brass or trimmed Specials and hollow point bullets.
A friend shoots PPC where six shot strings are the norm, so he paid Clark $20 to add the sixth round to a magazine and seeing what they had done, converted his others himself.

The 745 was originally offered as an IPSC Commemorative, then a standard model. I don't think it was of bullseye quality, accurized for 50 yard shooting like the 52.

Yep, wadcutters only. Any ammo with the bullet sticking out beyond the case mouth won't work. The word is, S&W went out of their way to make this an accurate pistol. If it didn't put 5 shots inside 2 inches at 50 yards, it went back to the production line for more work.

Don

Didn't know there was pistol in .38 special, this is very cool. Does it need stout loads to work? And are magazines hard to get? :eek:

No, in fact it's made specifically for light wadcutter target loads, it can't use ordinary .38 Specials at all because the OAL is too long.

Those 52s are beauties.

Speaking of ammunition for the 52s, I saw something unusual years ago. An older gentleman shooting next to me at a public range showed me what he was shooting in his model 52. He was shooting .38 Super. He showed me that the Super ammo he was using, don't know if it was factory or reloaded, fit in the .38 WC magazine, and the Super's semi-rim was enough to headspace the round. I don't recall seeing any malfunctions. I've told this story before, and some don't believe it, explaining that the .38 Super case is larger in diameter than the .38 Spcl. case, and won't fit in a .38 Spcl. chamber. I realize by SAAMI specs this might appear true, but there are tolerances involved, and some .38 Super will fit in some .38 Spcl. chambers just fine...

USSR, Nope, not recommending .38 Super ammunition for use in your new 52-2;)

USSR, Nope, not recommending .38 Super ammunition for use in your new 52-2

Don't worry, rock185, I'm not stupid enough to use ammunition that the pistol wasn't designed for.

Don

I'm surprised that the gun didn't blow up, it must have actually been .38 ACP loads in .38 Super brass, but then again, if the 52 is based on the 9mm models, it might be beefy enough to withstand .38 Super, which is only like 500psi hotter than 9mm Luger.

I've used my Model 52 pistol for decades in Bullseye competition. The Model 52, along with the S&W Model 41 and a host of other pistols were developed by companies like High Standard, Colt, Ruger and Browning pandering to Bullseye shooters during the several decades Bullseye ruled the roost. Some of the finest handguns ever made, both autos and revolvers, were developed during this era.

Last edited:
dgludwig,

I don't need to tell you about the fit, finish, and attention to detail that S&W put into the Model 52.:)

Don

My regular shooting buddy has one...awesome pistol. Clover leafs all day long, but it is very unforgiving. Miss a little and you miss by a mile.

dgludwig,

I don't need to tell you about the fit, finish, and attention to detail that S&W put into the Model 52.

A superb pistol in every relevant respect. Never cheap but always worth every penny.

A Toy Gun? If it shoots a projectile that can kill a living being, is it really a toy?:confused:

Blast me, don't care. Been around a long time, carried many federally issued weapons and never referred to one as a toy!

However, referring to a real handgun as a toy is like referring to a nuke as a large firecracker.

It also does not show people as serious about deadly weapons.

No need to reply, cause I certainly will not be back! And I'm sure no one gives a ****.

Plenty of other sites where there are adults.

No need to reply, cause I certainly will not be back! And I'm sure no one gives a ****.

Don't let the screen door hit you on the way out. I think everyone except you got the meaning and intent of this thread.

Don

Nice toy! Specialty designed sporting goods. I’ve looked on these with interest for a long time.

The idea of specially designing a hand gun to see just how accurate a fella can shoot is very appealing to me. It’s the only way to learn how to hit small.

I see the appeal of the modern day shooting sports. Shoot lots as fast as you can at dinner plates. Throw your best magazines in to gravel, with guns that are not particularly fussy to make. What ammo or magazine manufacturer would not want to back that sport? It’s not for me. I would rather be the guy shooting at tea saucers at 50 yards or pine cones “way over there.” That 52 is the tool for that job.

Toy? Hell yeah.

This is a specialty audience. It’s a delight for me to see enthusiasts post about firearms designed for specialty sport purposes that thumb their noses at self defense and I-wanna-b-John-wick. Shooting is a skill. It’s fun. Punching little holes in paper is fun.

Punching little holes in paper is real, too. I’ve never come close to a gun fight but I have thousands of holes punched in paper.

Back