My new Remington 700

austinjking

Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical in .308WIN. 20" free-floated barrel atop of the Hogue tactical stock. Bushnell Banner 6-18x54mm scope above and Harris adjustable bi-pod below. Bought on gunsamerica.com for $800. I haven't sighted in the scope, will do soon after I return from Orlando. The rifle is kept at a friends house. Her ferret seems to find the Hogue stock tasty somehow, I'll probably see a few tiny bite marks near the recoil pad. :eek:
Any suggestions for ammunition? If I sight in the scope using one kind of round such as Winchester Super Grade for example, will my point of impact vs point of aim change if I change to another manufacture of ammo?

47411_1556111590311_1460863261_1462861_6069938_n.jpg

47411_1556111510309_1460863261_1462859_5482009_n.jpg

47411_1556111550310_1460863261_1462860_6172671_n.jpg

If you find a Brand and weight that your rifle likes (it can vary a great deal), I'd suggest buying as much of that ammo with the same lot number as you can. POI can even change between different lots of the same ammo. I usually buy a box of several brands and weights. Once I find the best for that particular rifle, then I go back, check the lot numbers, and buy up as much as I think I'll need or want. Otherwise, it's back to the range when a new lot comes into possession.

Your twist rate is 1:12 on that rifle and you should be looking for a cartridge with 168 to 175 grains. I found that 168 grain Prvi Partizan Match ammo was a decently available/reasonably priced choice.

Also, don't want to burst your bubble, but once you put that bipod on the barrel is going to rest on your Hogue stock (no more free-float).

You've probably been told this already, but the best way to get accuracy out of your rifle is to load your own rounds.

I have a 700 SPS Varmint, same twist rate as yours. 168 Grain Hornady BTHP Match bullets, and Hornady 168 Grain A-Max's are both good. Slight edge to the A-Max right now.

I have a good load that shoots great, and all i have to do is deliver the aim, and technique.

Wow, that's a great price for. Great package. I was just In my local gun shop and they have the same (I think) in .308 and 30-06 for ~$700. I'm not going to imagine that scope costs anywhere under $200 alone.

To the poster who said the bipod makes the barrel non-floating, why? Not contradicting, I would just like to know.

To the poster who said the bipod makes the barrel non-floating, why? Not contradicting, I would just like to know.
Because the Hogue is not stiff enough to keep the stock forearm from flexing upwards to touch the barrel. A McMillan/Manners stock is stiff enough to do that, even under heavy bipod loading, which is why they cost 2-3x as much.

well I'm tryin to sell my remington 700 SPS tactical with a nikon Monarch 4-16x42. It is a great very accurate gun but i guess im more into semi autos. So if anyone is interested let me know. My gun also loves hornady but i guess in that sense it loves all ammo. You def have a great shooter on your hands.

I just bought that exact same rifle this very day :rolleyes: Oh well. I am very much looking forward to shooting it. I've ordered matte black Leupold 2 piece dovetail mounts and low mount rings for my Redfield 3-9X40.
I am liking this short barrel, seems it'll be handy in the thickets and brush.

I have a VLS in .308. Originally I had a Leupold VX-2 in 3-9X40 on it. It shot great but I realized that I only shot game on the 3X setting. I decided to go with a 4X fixed power Weaver. It shoots just as accurately but has a better low light capability...

srkavanagh6621

i just bought a fnar w/ 10x40x50 scope and i've fallen in love with but i'd also like a bolt action.

well the whole combo i would like to get $850 i have original everything and since there is a mail in rebate on the gun now i could get you that too. its in like new condition and is a great setup. I will guarantee the gun shoots way under MOA. They are very nice rifles I would also ask that the buyer pays for shipping. :) thanks for you interest and sorry for jacking your thread! you did buy a great rifle though!

Also, don't want to burst your bubble, but once you put that bipod on the barrel is going to rest on your Hogue stock (no more free-float).

I am skeptical of this statement. The OP can determine this easy enough - run a dollar bill or piece of paper between the stock and barrel while it is resting on the bipod.

If you do it, please report back.

Back