My new Model 70 Winchester doesn't group well

My new Model 70 Winchester doesn't group well
Since it's new, call Winchester. Why is it that every new gun owner thinks they can make it better by modifying the original configuration when experience shows just the opposite? Call Customer Service and tell them what you are experienceing, and let them do something with it. You paid for a top of the line rifle that came with a warranty for just such occasions. Use it, you've already paid for it.
BTW, the .25-06 Rem is one of our better North American big game cartridges. In fact, it's darn close to perfect.
Oh, please . . .

Pops1085 -

May I suggest shooting at least one fouler shot after a cleaning --- so as to remove any oil. Or as a last resort...running a wet patch wetted with non-chlorinated brake degreaser down the bore -- then a dry patch --- before shooting for groups.

Have you tried using Remington Core-Lokt's?

truth be told, 90 percent of the deer killed every year could have been killed with a good 94 lever action 30-30 winchester shooting 2" groups at 100 yards. my favorite lever action 30-30 is a 1947 model 64 winchester with receiver sight that shoots 170 rn remington corlock bullets into 2", some times a little better.

The more I hear "in the 21st century a rifle should...." the less I think its about what the gun makers are doing and more about the inflated expectations of certain folks today.

Just because SOME rifle and ammo combinations will do MOA doesn't mean all will, or should.

Unless the maker includes a guarantee or statement saying what size group the rifle will shoot, there is nothing defective about a 1,5-2moa deer gun. Could it be better? maybe. Do you want it to be better? sure, we all want the best, right? Does it NEED to be better? Not for most of us.

50-60 years ago, it was fairly easy to improve the accuracy of most guns by handloading. Factory ammo has been improved since then, and today, it takes a lot more work to find a handload that shoots significantly better than some factory ammo.

Likewise, a rifle that shot MOA (or less) was "a pearl of great price" something that was the exception, not the rule and not something given away or sold lightly.

One question never seems to be mentioned, your rifle "only" shoots 1.5-2MOA and of course, its not you shooting, but perhaps there might be a touch of wind downrange that you're not aware of??? Things vary, of course, but a 10mph breeze can turn that 1moa group into 1,5moa for instance.

Does that mean your rifle is somehow "substandard"?? I don't think so.

Sanch summed it up very well.

i own several rifles that are capable of 0.5" three shot groups at 125 yards. My range lacks a 100 yard target, there's a big mudhole at 100 yards.

One Remington 700 from the custom shot was capable of that accuracy as received. Other made in the USA rifles required some serious tweaking to achieve that level of accuracy.

Years ago i bought a left hand CZ 527 rifle in .223 caliber. It cost about $600.00. Out of the box that rifle made 0.5" three shot groups at 125 yards.

A friend recently purchased a a CZ 557 in .308 for about $825. i scoped and sighted in that rifle: With my handloads it makes 0.75-1" five shot groups at 125 yards. Methinks with some tweaking of the handloads it can do better.

Most of my hunting is with muzzleloaders. Most animals are taken at <60 yards. My muzzleloaders are sighted in to "minute of pig" standards. :D

Last edited:
Back