My new Browning Hi-Power is a piece of...

Warm Bore

ART!!!!

How did I pass on this gun for so many years? It has been in my possession for less than an hour now and I'm just sitting here staring at it. The classic lines, the sleek finish, the words "Browning Arms Company" etched into the slide. Allow me to give pause while I wipe the drool from my lips. There that's better. The "pride of ownership" in this fine piece is simply amazing.

Anyway, I have been looking for a BHP for awhile. I always seemed to pass them up. The general fodder at the gun shows is over-priced and used. And although there is usually nothing wrong with used guns - for some reason I wanted my BHP to be brand spankin' new. And forget about ever finding one in our local gun-shops. They are pounced on harder than a feral cat on a chubby rat.

So when I got wind of a NIB Hi-Power MK-III at our local shop I gave them a buzz. Sure enough they had one, NIB for $539. I told them to "HOLD IT. I'll be there in 10 minutes." I don't know if $539 was a good price but I just knew I had to have it so I didn't really care. And now...

And now all I can do is stare at it. It's dark and it's raining and I don't have any ammo. But damnit I've got a BHP!!!

Regards,

Warm Bore

Browning P-35 hard to beat

You will be hard pressed to find a better weapon. I've been shooting
P-35's since the late 70's. The last one I purchased was in 1994 for the sum of 500.dollars. It's the silver-chrome model,and probably one of the best auto's that I ever shot. The only bad thing I could say about it, is that the millet sights wore loose
after about 2yrs of constant carry. Yes I know fixed would have been better but I like my weapons sights dialed in to dead nuts at 25 yds.Besides I called Millet and they sent me a rebuild kit for free complete, blade, screws ect.
The only thing else I could say is to quote from the owners manual
(Browning) {The Best There Is.}

[Edited by highpower on 02-27-2001 at 11:29 AM]

Never liked Brownings designs, way to many flaws in the Hi-Power and 1911 to overlook, I dont know why anybody would carry one of them.

And if you ask me 9mm isnt enough to be hi-power, how is that round any different from the standard 9mm?

"And if you ask me 9mm isnt enough to be hi-power, how is that round any different from the standard 9mm?"

This is way to easy. I don't Have the heart for it...

ROTFLMBO.

The "Hi-Power" is the name of the pistol. It still chambers the 9mm.

As far as the flaws in the Browning designs, 90% of the available pistols on the market today use the Browning design.

LawDog

Free tidbit, impress your friends...

The GP1935 (GP stands for Grande Puissance; that's French for "High Power") was called thus because the pistols it replaced in the Belgian military were in .32 ACP.

Confound your enemies, fun at parties...

Right on. The Browning Hi-Power was my first handgun. But I was foolish and young and sold it for something that looked more high tech.:rolleyes:

I hope you'll provide a happy home for it.

ah these kids

Well Warm Bore, I would like to do
nothing more than let my targets prove a point. Seems like the only flaws are on some peoples way of thinking.judgment ect. To each their own. Congrats on your BHP

Yeah, I don't like that old fossil Browning's designs either. That's why I love my nice, modern HK USP and my SIG P220. He's right about the Hi-Power, though. That's why I'm going to get a CZ-75 instead. Now THERE'S a modern handgun!

PrettyBoy, would you please tell us specifically which aspects of the 1911 and Hi-Power design are deficient?

Hey, wait a minute, we've been making fun, but he's right! The 9mm is EXACTLY THE SAME as the 9mm! Who'da thunk it?

I just picked up mine on Thursday. It is the best natural pointing gun I have ever held. It is beautiful, tight and dead reliable out of the box.

AND, Prettyboy should be happy to know, it is available in .40.

Ah, crap. Pretty Boy has entered my thread. He seems to be leaving a wake of closed threads due to an evacuated cranial cavity. The symptoms appear to be acute. Please don't close my thread :) but I have to find out what "flaws" JMB's designs have. I wouldn't want to trust my life with decades old *tried and true* technology if there were inherent design flaws of which I am obviously unaware.

Warm Bore

PS: Please read "All Posts By Member" for Pretty Boy. I damn near blew a tube laughing so hard. What the hell is a SEEL?

Welcome to the club Bore. :D My FNHP and I are happily sitting here together trying not to laugh at our newfound friend Pretty. I do hope he finds that S&W mod 66 supressor, I want one too. Hey I just realized something, if an organization gets too secret, how do you know you are in it? I sleep on a SEALY, is that my secret call-up? Better stop chatting now, gotta run along and check my perimeter trip-wires.

You all realize, of course, that PrettyBoy is just some troller who thinks that anyone who owns a firearm is either a psycho, a militia extremist or a para-military freak with penis envy, and that he is just doing this to be obnoxious?

I'm not even bothering to reply to him or even comment, but it is so very entertaining.

Oh, wait...uhm. ;)

ANYWAY, I'm glad you like your BHP, WarmBore. It only gets better when you shoot it. If it is new, you MIGHT have some minor FTF issues, but they are self-correcting with more range-time. Next on your shopping list should be some SA 17rnd mags, before they are gone (www.cdnninvestments.com). Thats right...17+1 crammed into that classic of a pistol. Glocks? We don't NEEEEEEED no steenkin glocks!

Mike

Maybe Pretty Boy is Hardin in disguise. Remember Hardin.

Strange I seem to recall shooting someone named Pretty boy in the multiplayer WW2 game Day of Defeat the other day...

Congrats! Hi Powers are the best

What a great purchase! The HP is THE classic 9MM. Its the first popular hi-cap wonder nine and probably the best. If you shoot one, you're hooked. Enjoy!

Pilot

Pretty hasn't got the skills to be Hardin. Until he starts talking about .083 second from the pocket draws with his .22 and the ever lethal .22 short as used in Spec-ops, I will regard him as a low talent troll. Funny though. PB hasn't claimed to be published yet has he?

Hi Mike,

The SA 17-rounders are on the way. When I got my BHP home I remembered bookmarking a web-site that had good deals on BHP mags. As it turns out it was CDNN and I ordered 2 within 10 mintues of walking in the door. Probably should have ordered more though.

BTW can anyone tell me what the "S" designation means? The package label with the barcode reads:

FIXED LUM SIGHTS FINISH MATTE BARREL 4 21/32"
SIN.ACTI. MKIII "S"
CAL 9MM LUGER

Just curious about the "S".

Thanks,

Warm Bore

Coronach (Mike)- ROTFLMAO about both PB and the steenking grock!

I got a bunch of those SA 17rders: they seem to work ok but have not had a chance to really pound some rounds through them as a hardcore reliability check. I did need to fill them with 14rds and let the springs take a set before I could load them fully with 17 rounds.

Regards,

Bob

Back