My name is Bartholomew and I'm an ammo hoarder

I've never seen so many admissions in a thread with only 20 posts. Now mine (not ammo) - I have a "spare" NIB Leupold Vari-X III 2.5-8 scope that I bought some years ago and Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker for which the scope was intended. The rifle has never been shot. :o

I have almost bought ammo in a caliber that I do not own as well. My local Walmart clearanced some boxes of 44 magnum for $10 each recently and it took all I had not to buy it. I would like to buy a 44 magnum one day, but I have quite a few other guns on the list ahead of it.

A few years back a Super K-Mart was closing it's doors and had a liquidation sale. The wife wanted to go so I went along. Checked out the sporting goods for whatever might be there. Got 27 boxes of 170 gr. Winchester power Point ammo for $4.00 a box. :eek: Also cleaned out their .308 Win. at 5.00 a box (6 boxes) and 5 boxes of 30-06 at $6.00 a box. All Winchester brand powder points 180 gr. loads. Still have the 30-30s as I really only shoot cast lead in my 30-30's but the .308 and 06 have been shot up long ago.
I run several shooting sites looking for deals on bullets and score quite well that way. I'm fair on primers and not too bad off on powders so only look for what I really need. Sure wish the hadn't dropped SR 4759 and I use a lot of that shooting cast bullets. Oh well. :rolleyes:
Paul B.

As good a reason as any to go out and buy a rifle in .308.

On another note.......I just don't understand some of you guys who have neat guns that you have never, and will never shoot. It's like having a hot wife or cool muscle car that you never take out for a spin. What a waste.

I just don't understand some of you guys who have neat guns that you have never, and will never shoot.

That is why my post ends with a :o!

The rest of the story: I had intended to buy a 7mm Rem Mag left hand Browning Stainless Stalker from this dealer that had one at the previous gun show. He had sold it but had the same model rifle in .300 Win Mag. Word of mouth and magazine articles had me believing a .300 Win Mag would be an excellent elk rifle so I bought it. I used it on two elk hunts and got two 5 X 5 bulls. I got the larger bull in the Bob Marshall Wilderness and had it mounted. I don't recall exactly when I got the 7mm, but I bought it expecting to go on another elk hunt. Unfortunately, I haven't had that opportunity.

If I still lived in Texas with my private range... I'd shoot them till they turned to ash. I can't shoot as much now, so when I do, I take only my favorites.

No worries. Buy whatever ammo you want...especially of a caliber as common as .308. It'll never go bad and I can envision a day when ammo will be as suitable a currency as any paper money, gold, or silver.

I just don't understand some of you guys who have neat guns that you have never, and will never shoot. It's like having a hot wife or cool muscle car that you never take out for a spin.

No, it's not quite like either of those! Most of my guns have been fired at least once. I do have one, possibly two rifles, that have never been fired. I believe most of my handguns have been fired, but not necessarily by me. I have about 5 handguns, 3 rifles and 1 shotgun that I don't mind shooting the snot out of. I dialed into what I actually like to shoot years ago. But, that doesn't stop me from collecting guns I find interesting.

I buy and collect a number of firearms because I love the way they were designed. Shooting all of them isn't necessary for me. However, I do want to put a few rounds through a 1907 Colt 45 SAA just so that I can be a part of the history of that gun.

"Hoarder" to me has shifted to just be a term people use about "everyone else" after they waited too long to create a stock of supplies they will need.

No one calls squirrels "hoarders" as they bury nuts around the yard in the fall. What's the difference?

When does 'hoarder' exceed "saving for retirement next spring"?

My primary motivation has been storing it so that I won't need to use future vacation money for it.
The secondary motive was to effortlessly survive any post Nov 8 panic----no longer a factor!! Excluding any 'terrible event', at any future date.

Bartholomew - I remember the salad days of the nineties when it was cheap. It makes it hard for me to spend $$$ on a box today. Went to Wally World yesterday and bought bananas but not a single boolit.

I'm a brass whore.
More than once I have bought a gun for brass I had.
Figured heck I have 1,000 rounds of brass I guess I need the gun.:D

Can't see problem here. Not only do I have ammo for guns that I think I might buy some day, I also have holsters I found on closeout for guns that I don't yet have but "thinking" about. I too tend to pick up ammo when I see a good deal and just add to the pile. Media probably would call me a terrorist and write a big story about me if my house burned down. Good thing Killery is out of the picture!

5 years ago I bought 2000 rounds of .22WRF intending to buy a rifle of that chambering as they were cheap at the time because ammo wasn't very available. I haven't seen any ammo for sale since then but again I have yet to come across a good deal on a .22WRF rifle. All is not lost as the ammo will shoot in .22WMR, I was just hoping to get find a nice Win 1890 in .22WRF that didn't cost an arm and a leg. Now ammo hasn't been available for 5 years yet these guns and everybody thinks they are gold. Henry has finally come out with 24' barrel on their lever action for less than $400.00 I will buy one of these to shoot my ammo. The real reason I wanted the 1890 was for the 24" barrel. I can buy 3 of these for the price of an 1890.

Seriously, you have 6,000+ posts and you don't own a 308? How is that possible?l

I don't either and have never owned a 308 win. Have no intention of buying one either. But I would never buy 308 ammo just to have it. The only ammo that some might call me a hoarder with is 22LR. I have quite a bit of the non-premium stuff (promotional grade/plinking ammo) and a fair amount of what I consider premium. I stocked up prior to the pre-Obama ammo scare.

Back