My name is Bartholomew and I'm an ammo hoarder

I just about bought 200 rounds of .308 when I don't own any .308 rifles because I thought "Wow, that seems like a good price!" ($0.70/rd). And I'm not even sure if that is actually a good price since I don't buy .308.

I may have also once found 400 rounds of 9mm FMJ I didn't know I had in a grocery bag in the coat closet.

The price may or may not be good depending upon what type of .308 it is. If you bought it just to have it you are hoarder. If you actually own a .308 rifle and plan on shooting it in the future than you are merely planning ahead.

So far as finding four boxes of 9mm in the closet you did not know you had sounds like good fortune to me. Don't want to look that one too closely in the mouth.

That's a little weird! I can't say that I've ever bought ammo that I have no gun to shoot it with. However, I did buy a collapsible stock for a PTR-91. I don't have a PTR-91 or even the HK, but I thought I might buy one some day.:o

Hi Bartholomew!

You've come to the wrong place for help with your addiction! We're the enablers. I haven't bought ammo for a firearm that I don't have, but I do have ammo in a caliber for a gun I sold. I might, maybe, one day, sometime get another rifle in that caliber though.

Last edited:
During the last big ammo shortage of .22lr I waited to get a .22 rifle until I could find some .22lr at a reasonable price. I would pick up rounds here and there until I accumulated about 2 bricks worth (this is when customers were limited to 2 boxes a visit) and then went and picked up the rifle. I will say though, I have never picked up rounds for the reason the OP did, to each their own.

Hello, I understand completely. I've been seriously tempted to buy 5.56 ammo and I don't own that caliber yet. Even though I seriously intend to buy one, hopefully soon.

I have no idea how much ammo I have... I quit counting last year.

I do suspect that I have less than I think.

But, I'm still way above 'whackjob' status that the media would give for such a large amount. But if I tried real hard I could probably shoot it in a couple of days.

I'd assess myself as a modest hoarder, but nothing compared to TFL standards.

There's an old dodge truck somewhere in Texas that I know has at least 4 rounds lost in the fender well

But I buy a couple hundred rounds every month, sometimes more, sometimes less. Been doing it solid since January 2014.

You might be able to rent a .308 rifle to use with your ammo stash.
I do that from a bag of 9mm, even though I haven't had a pistol in that caliber for a long time.

I have been seriously tempted to do the same. The same goes for magazines. My next intended purchase will be a 308 rifle that accepts your standard SR25 pattern mags or Magpul mags. I dont have the money for the gun yet but I have thought the same as you.

I do ,however, have stocked a ton of brass for calibers I do not have. My local range, that I am very friendly with, lets me take all the brass I want when I go because they scrap it and dont make money on it. I even have left my brass at the range before when I have only shot 20-50 rounds because I am too lazy to bend over and pick them up and sort them. I currently have 7, 5 gallon buckets sorted and 2 garbage bags full of brass. The RO will even take the buckets of brass, grab a garbage bag and dump it in for me while I shoot. I will be very pleased when I actually get the firearms in those calibers. Especially some of the 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua, 7.62x39 and other oddball brass I have found.

While saying all of this, I would like to give a little thank you to those awesome RO and Range owners out there. I would have to say I could not possibly ask to be able to go to a better range available to me.(except for longer distances) I have gotten many free lessons, borrowed equipment, free range time for testing their equipment(also for free), unlimited use of their range when I am the only one there(mobility and barrier set up on and down range). You name it, they have accommodated.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but besides all of you great people here on this online community, those of you same people are out there doing everything they can for the community and I thank you. People like you and me make this sport what it is and why this hobby is so gravitating. I think I can speak for almost all of us when I say it's more the people than the guns that we love so much. I love my guns, but my love for this hobby wouldn't be the same without the people.

I have about 400 rounds of .303 from a friend who moved and gave it to me. While I don't have one now I always thought one day I would pick up a nice Enfield or something.

No need to hurry about buying that .308 rifle.
They just keep getting better and better with each passing year.
Sometimes cheaper, too.

I have six 50cal cans packed full of 308... I don't even use them. It came with a FAL that I bought. I think the FAL is the only rifle that I quickly lost interest in.

I have 2 .308's, neither of which I have ever shot and probably never will shoot. I really would like a .308 I could shoot - PTR-91 has been near the top of my list for awhile.

I've accumulated 5 308's. A Spanish FR8, CETME, FAL, Ishapore 2A1, and a Springfield M1A Scout. Might be one more I can't recall. Only ever shot the FR 8. Only have accumulated a little over 2000 rounds (all brass). Probably will never shoot again.

I was at Field & Stream an hour ago looking for Christmas presents. I saw they only had one 200 round case of Win1911 45 acp. Yes, they're out of stock now :)

Back